Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: 61 lancer light switch
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:28 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 62 Lancer GT
I am in the process of mounting a 61 lancer dash in my 62 lancer GT. Im working on the wiring now. Id like to know if anyone knows if anyone has converted a 62 type switch over to use the 61 knob? Or is there a 62 type switch with the half round opening to accept the 61 knob? my 62 dash has the triangular shaped rod for the knob.

Thanks

62 Lancer GT
B Body 8 3/4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:26 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Wow. That's a very large swap job—a lot of work. You must really like the '61 Lancer dashboard! Take note the '61 cars had even less circuit protection than the minimal protection on the '62 cars, so upgrade that aspect of the wiring as you go along.

Have you looked at the '61 and '62 switches' terminals? Have you found differences in the number and labelling of the terminals? There shouldn't be major differences, but I don't recall specifically. Either way, this is not a job you should attempt without having the '61 Lancer and '62 Lancer wiring diagrams, which do contain the headlamp switch pinout. '61 Lancer diagram is here, '62 Lancer here. Click for larger; headlamp switch labelled "LIGHT SWITCH" can be found by starting at the bottom of the diagram, finding "GAS GAUGE (tank unit)" and going upward from there.

Hey, while you're messing with the headlight switches, you can make a nice little safety improvement: On pre-1968 vehicles (with a few exceptions like Barracudas) the parking lamps do not remain lit when you turn on the headlamps. For 1968, this was changed so the parkers stay lit with the headlamps for safety (in case of a headlight burnout you still have at least some visible light on the burned out side of the car). This is easy to retrofit: put a short piece of 18ga wire between from the "P" to the "R" terminals on the headlamp switch body, right down at the base of those terminals. Make sure the ends of the jumper are neatly tucked so they won't touch any adjacent terminals. Solder if you like. Then push the connector back onto the switch, on top of your new jumper wire which won't get in the way, and reinstall the headlamp switch. This will emulate the wiring setup of '68 and later cars that keep the parking lamps lit with the headlamps on. Or alternatively you can add this jumper between the wires that connect to the "P" and "R" terminals on the headlamp switch. In that case use 16ga wire. Do not use the common fold-over-and-crunch Scotchlok type taps. Use Posi-Taps (product here, review here). If you get the linked assortment, you'll surely find uses for them—they're one of those products that you buy for a particular project, but then other uses for them keep popping up in front of you once you have them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:44 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
I do agree with Dan, that is a lot of work. However the 61 dash is MUCH better than the 62 dash IMO. I applaud your ambition! Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Thanks for the tips! The dash actually fit fairly easy on the radio side. Have to weld in a piece along the drivers side. Ignition switch swap was bolt in. swapped wiper switches also. Most of the wiring is pretty close. Trying to use the later switch for ease of installation but the rod shape is the problem Ill let you know what happens. The switches they advertise as replacements for 61 look like the 62 short type but you cant see the hole for the rod (may have to fab something) saw a real 61 switch ad for $247!! The 61 dash is the best looking by far IMO. Havent got the temp gauge to move yet. Wont use amp gauge, Gas gauge and speedo seem good. Thanks again for the links Dan.

62 Lancer GT
B Body 8 3/4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32 pm 

Car Model:
hyper_pak wrote:
I do agree with Dan, that is a lot of work. However the 61 dash is MUCH better than the 62 dash IMO

I'm curious: What do you like better about the '61 dash? The '62 gauges and speedometer are much easier to read, the '62 vertical pushbuttons are much easier to reach and much easier hit accurately even if you're not looking, the '62 instrument cluster uses a printed circuit board rather than the '61 rat's nest of wires…

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:46 am 
EFI Slant 6

No technical or ergonomic advantage, it's all about the style. The end of that era of unique aesthetics for the fun of it. I found a charmed snake shifter to, not the #1 in function but I love it.

62 Lancer GT
B Body 8 3/4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:34 pm 

Car Model:
JohnnyDees wrote:
The dash actually fit fairly easy on the radio side. Have to weld in a piece along the drivers side.

Rilly? I thought all the '60-'62 dashes were bolt-interchangeable. What's the fit difference?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:36 pm 
EFI Slant 6

They are both about 17 inches wide, but the 61 is centered on the steering wheel while the 62 is offset towards the driver side. The mounting holes are all different. And the lower part of the dash has to be notched some to get it sit flat.

62 Lancer GT
B Body 8 3/4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 pm 

Car Model:
Wow. Even bigger job than I reckoned without that knowledge!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:46 pm 
Triple Duece Weber

Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
I would say the styling also. I really like the symmetry. The 62 to me looks rushed, the 61 looks like Mr. Exner had a hand in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:34 am 
EFI Slant 6

I agree about Exner.

62 Lancer GT
B Body 8 3/4