Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:36 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: B150 Van
First time Posting, have Mercy on me....

I have a 82 B150 with Slant 6, A833OD, and it has the single pickup distributor and "Spark Control" computer that has the vacuum line and 2 plugs going to it. I live in California so keeping items visually passing is important as much as out the tailpipe.

All the autoparts stores have checked with Cardone and other rebuilders and the Spark Control is no longer available.

My Question, could I replace the Spark control with a CB Performance Black box? This box has Vacuum input and full timing control, you can program whatever timing map you want:
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2013.htm

With all the different wires going into the existing Spark Control box, I'm wondering if I mess up anything else that makes the van not pass smog.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:27 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Hello and welcome! A cheaper and much simpler solution is to install a standard electronic ignition distributor with a single pickup and vacuum advance and run an HEI ignition system. If you are careful and creative, you can gut the inside of the spark control box and use factory wiring to install the HEI unit in the spark control box. The distributor will look completely stock as will the computer. The only thing is you have to be sure to ground the HEI module and make sue it gets enough airflow to cool it. On the B series vans the spark control computer had a stock air vent tube that provided a supply of cool air to the computer box when the van was in motion. Keep that cooling tube in place.

Instructions for the HEI ignition swap can be found in the electrical directory of this board.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:01 am 
1 BBL (New)

Reed wrote:
Hello and welcome! A cheaper and much simpler solution is to install a standard electronic ignition distributor with a single pickup and vacuum advance and run an HEI ignition system. If you are careful and creative, you can gut the inside of the spark control box and use factory wiring to install the HEI unit in the spark control box. The distributor will look completely stock as will the computer. The only thing is you have to be sure to ground the HEI module and make sue it gets enough airflow to cool it. On the B series vans the spark control computer had a stock air vent tube that provided a supply of cool air to the computer box when the van was in motion. Keep that cooling tube in place.

Instructions for the HEI ignition swap can be found in the electrical directory of this board.

Thank you for a great recommendation. My only worry is that a smog tech will see the vacuum can on the distributor and fail the visual part of the test. I will do some checking. I have the CB Performance Black Box already, I just didn't want to mess anything up, and having the programmable timing I'm sure you guys have input on how much that would help on a spark control box equipped vehicle. If its not much of a help I can use the black box for another car.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Don't count on the smog tech thinkning the vacum advance is non-compliant. The spark control computers came in several varieties, some of which actually had vacuum advance on the distributor. In that form the "spark control" computer was called the "lean burn" computer because it controlled the carb.

However, if you have that black box unit, give it a try. It looks interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Reed wrote:
Don't count on the smog tech thinkning the vacum advance is non-compliant. The spark control computers came in several varieties, some of which actually had vacuum advance on the distributor. In that form the "spark control" computer was called the "lean burn" computer because it controlled the carb.

However, if you have that black box unit, give it a try. It looks interesting.

Very good point, If the black box is a no go I will switch to vacuum distributor and HEI. Thank you for your input :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
If you think the smog tech is going to nix a vacuum advance but say "No prob" to a nonstock black box...you probably should continue thinking, because probably nope.

Just as well that you can't get it from Cardone; all their stuff is garbage. Reed is right that an HEI upgradeis an excellent way to go. If you wind up having to keep the stock setup, though (woe is you), there's a fair number of shops that rebuild ECMs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm 
1 BBL (New)

SlantSixDan wrote:
If you think the smog tech is going to nix a vacuum advance but say "No prob" to a nonstock black box...you probably should continue thinking, because probably nope.

Just as well that you can't get it from Cardone; all their stuff is garbage. Reed is right that an HEI upgradeis an excellent way to go. If you wind up having to keep the stock setup, though (woe is you), there's a fair number of shops that rebuild ECMs.

I appreciate your input, very much valued.

I would tee off one Vacuum line and hide the black box, so during smog, it would look factory.

When looking at the Maps of what some of the Megasquirt guys are using on their slant 6's, it seems like they are not far off what a vacuum distributor can do. If that's the case, I would rather have the HEI for the sake of reliability and spares. I would have to carry a spare black box to truly feel safe on a long trip. In other engines, their is a lot to gain as they can run 45 degrees total at cruise rpms and back it off as needed before and after cruise rpms.

I checked with one Smog Shop here in California, and they mentioned that some 82's came with vacuum advance, and as long as it was California legal then it shouldn't be a issue. I'm gonna go with your HEI advice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:59 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Some of MSD's ignition and efi systems are CARB exempt. At first glance they appear to be smog legal replacements for lean burn in CA at least.