Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 65 plymouth valiant 200
hello , im a newbie here :D ,i have a 65 valiant 200 that i recently acquired thru a trade , vehicle does not start , it cranks but wont start ,i already changed from points ignition to a pertronix electronic ignition set up , put a new carburetor , new fuel pump and two different coils, what i don't get is i tested with my test light at the top terminals at the coil and i have power in the positive and ground connectors at coil , without a proper wiring diagram and schematic i have very little to go on , i was wondering if any one would help me go in the right direction as to where the problem im having lies at, help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:51 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 65 Dart, 225, 4 spd od, hyd clutch, BBD, 2 1/4 exh
Here are the free engine compartment and instrument panel diagrams for the old points type ignition system :
http://www.earlycuda.org/Wiring.html

Do you have a way to test voltages, resistances, and continuity?

Your best rule might be to troubleshoot before changing equipment. I'd be tempted to go back to the points ignition and troubleshoot that simple system first.
Been there...done it.

You do not know that the new equipment was great coming out of the package?

Send me a pm if you are willing to do this step by step with the original system first before trying the Petronix and you have a meter to check voltages, resistance, and continuity.

Don

1965 Dart 110k, 225, Carter BBD Super Six, 2 1/4 single exh., sbp manual scarebird front disc, 7 1/4 rear 2.94 sure grip, 14 x 4.5 OEM wheels, 833 OD with hyd. throwout bearing, HEI, electric fan, ram air/heated air, Accusump. http://plymouthcarclub.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
DonPal wrote:
Your best rule might be to troubleshoot before changing equipment. I'd be tempted to go back to the points ignition and troubleshoot that simple system first.

+1. My advice to anyone who gets a new car is to get it running as well as possible as it sits before starting to modify it. Go back to points and get it running. Once it is running well in stock form, then start upgrading it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
GEOSTORM wrote:
what i don't get is i tested with my test light at the top terminals at the coil and i have power in the positive and ground connectors at coil , without a proper wiring diagram and schematic i have very little to go on , i was wondering if any one would help me go in the right direction as to where the problem im having lies at, help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

You should not have power to both coil terminals when cranking. The + terminal of the coil should have approx12v, and the - terminal should blink on and off while cranking, I am not familiar with the pertronics wireing, but if you have 12 volts at the + terminal of the coil, the car wireing is probably ok. If the - terminal does not blink, the problem is probably with the petronics unit, or wireing.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170