Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:25 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Unfortunately, these bearings are most certainly not sleeve bearings. I have yet to find an accurate name or picture of what they are. The bearings appear to be pressed onto the shaft of the armature and have a flange that is riveted to the housing of the motor. I believe the bearing and housing was riveted together first and then the housing/flange assemblies pressed onto the shaft. The bearing itself is a sphere with a hole through it for the armature shaft. The sphere is trapped in a cup that is solid on one side and curved fingers on the other, allowing the ball to snap out, but not really snap back in. It is like a rotating ball and socket joint. There is a layer of felted material sandwiched in the flange that most likely held some sort of oil at some point and lubricated the bearings.

I need to find a source for small flanged bearings that press onto a shaft. I will get accurate measurements of ball and shaft diameter tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I've seen those bearings on other electric motors. They're a ball so when they slap the motor together they self align, and everything doesn't have to be manufactured perfectly aligned.

The felt is an oil reservoir.

If you didn't totally mangle them, just dremel away the parts you screwed up. There should be enough left in the middle for a bearing surface.

Or

The shaft might be a common diameter. I fixed a vertical house fan with bearings like that with a standard sizes sealed ball bearing. Just had to be inventive mounting the ball bearing

8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:20 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Yeah, the original bearing assemblies are toast. I am going to try and find a flanged spherical self-aligning bearing that will work. If I can find one small enough I should be good.