Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 82 Dodge truck 225
I am getting the parts together for a lean burn conversion on my bone stock 82 truck. I already bought a distributor (from oldpartsnw 3874714)
Now some part number questions:

HEI module Echlin TP45 vs Wells DR100 or other p/n. Any one brand better than another, or they all pretty much the same?
Same question on the coil Echlin IC24
What replay should I use? I see a post where someone used a Echlin AR274 but kinda pricey.
Any other advise is appreciated.

I'm going to use all new parts instead of going to the junkyard (There are none around me). Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:16 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Follow the parts recommendations and links in the HEI upgrade article.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:32 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
If you are absolutely positive that your 82 truck truly has a lean burn controlled ignition system, then the instruction in the HEI conversion thread contain some unnecessary steps.

On lean-burn vehicles there is no ballast resistor. You do not need to worry about the steps where you remove the resistor and bridge over the terminals the resistor used to connect to.

To convert a lean burn vehicle to HEI, you only NEE to make four connections- the two connections form the HEI module to the distributor, the + feed for the HEI module, an the - coil feed from the HEI module. You can use the + coil feed as the + feed for the HEI module. Or you can use the + coil feed as the trigger for the relay that powers the HEI.

Alternatively, you can use the fat black wire that used to power the lean burn computer as the + feed for the HEI module or relay trigger.

Other than that, follow the HEI conversion article.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Yes, for sure lean burn system. The only mod was the previous owner took the lean burn computer off the air cleaner and mounted it to the firewall on the passenger side. No ballast resistor at all. Thanks for the pointers, I have not done this conversion before and I did read the HEI article. I was mainly looking to see if there was a difference in quality between the Echlin parts and Wells or others from Advance Auto, etc. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:12 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yes, parts quality differs and matters.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
If you don't mind digging through the GM section of a wrecking yard the original GM HEI modules are one a of the best. "GM" is molded right into the top of the module. I gave one to a friend to cure a misfire he had with a Chinese module.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:37 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
original GM HEI modules

agree with that, I had two Mallory HEI modules fail,
the first with in the 12 month warranty, the replacement
failed about a month out of warranty.

I paid to get a new genuine AC Delco 4 pin module and it has been fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:42 am 
1 BBL (New)

Thanks for the tips! This is the one I bought: ACDelco D1906 Professional Ignition Control Module Hopefully it will be a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1982 D150 225, 2bbl., 833 OD
I found these supposedly US made 4 pin GM D-1906 modules on ebay recently, for a good price. Took a chance on one for an extra spare. The box pictured says USA made but might be counterfeit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevy-Ignition-Control-Module-4-Pin-HEI-Distributor-NOS-Made-in-the-USA/321379120140?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The Delphi DS10071 module ( China) I'm currently using has been fine, but that has only been a few months and about 1500 miles. Also have a Standard LX-301 ( China) for a spare. I actually had the Standard mounted first, but it seemed to get very warm and I replaced it due to a misdiagnosed problem. The Delphi gets slightly warm to the touch.

While I'm spending 2 cent pieces, I'm happy with the AIRTEX/WELLS 3D1069A "premium" cap and rotor combo, with copper posts.