Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:34 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model: 1970 Plymouth GTX
Gentlemen,
I'm trying to determine if the aluminum mounting plate that mounts a GM HEI MODULE under a Mopar electronic distributor is still available? The thread that noted the particulars is 5+ years old. Does any one know the gentleman's phone number. I sent an email to the address listed and did not receive a reply nor did the email bounce back. What the person offered is an excellent item....I just wanted to see if he is still selling the part snd IF there has been increase in cost. If, by chance he is no longer offering the item, does anyone know who may be selling it item.
I'm interested in constructing the HEI module & E-core ignition system for my 1970 Plymouth GTX an almost numbers matching RS23V0A****** 6 Barrel car. There were 678 1970 GTXs built with the 6 barrel engine. 328 were automatic transmission cars and 350 were 4 speed cars. I have one of the 350 made. It's Torred, black vinal top, A34 super track pack, PS, PDB, N96 Air Air Grabber, Tinted windows, Console with Hurst pistol grip, Dana 60 rear end with 4,10:1 ratio I've owned this car for 34 years. I'll try and post a few pix, when I figure out how.
Anyway, THANK YOU in advance for your help and consideration.
Regards,
Bob Renton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You can try this: https://www.summitracing.com/search/bra ... g-block-rb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:55 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

kesteb wrote:

Thank you for the info.....however, the Summit link shows the GM HEI distributor in its entirety....the one with big ugly cap and coil assembly. What is shown in the slant six site explanation is using ONLY the GM module mounted on an extruded aluminum plate mounted underneath a Mopar electronic distributor, triggered by the Mopar magnetic pickup coil. The explanation goes on to state the features and advantages of the GM module, compared to other ignition modules. By using the GM module (only) and an E core coil (its called that because of the shape of the coil laminations - E) but in reality its a core form design (vs a shell form design), with an epoxy molded coil with special primary windings.
The various threads on the slant six web site are superb in explaining the aspects of this design....this is what prompted my quest.....I'm going to assemble a system using the methodology shown to see how it works on my GTX, which presently has an origional Prestolite dual point distributor providing the fire....i just want to see if it can be improved upon. All this is in lieu of the Chinese orange box and other imported stuff.

As a side bar....how does one add their email address to my profile to enable direct exchanges?
Thanks again for your effort....
Bob Renton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:19 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I think the term "under" is misleading as GM distributors have the module under the cap (and mopar distributors are too small to allow that installation)... the old slant six "performance" distributor from Tripower had the plate bolted to the body of the distributor.... a similar set up can be found on Ebay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Big-Block-Dodge-Mopar-Plymouth-RB-V8-413-440-Complete-Electronic-Distributor/171550549244?epid=8002741032&hash=item27f135a4fc:g:7TkAAOSw0vBUbmDU

The rest of us just goes to the scrap yard find a hunk of aluminum, and mounts the GM HEI module to it and mounts that to whatever is convenient...the ford set up has
a base you can get from a salvage yard....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:48 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

DusterIdiot wrote:
I think the term "under" is misleading as GM distributors have the module under the cap (and mopar distributors are too small to allow that installation)... the old slant six "performance" distributor from Tripower had the plate bolted to the body of the distributor.... a similar set up can be found on Ebay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Big-Block-Dodge-Mopar-Plymouth-RB-V8-413-440-Complete-Electronic-Distributor/171550549244?epid=8002741032&hash=item27f135a4fc:g:7TkAAOSw0vBUbmDU

The rest of us just goes to the scrap yard find a hunk of aluminum, and mounts the GM HEI module to it and mounts that to whatever is convenient...the ford set up has
a base you can get from a salvage yard....

Thanks for the e-mail and info.
I refer you to the slant six web site's electrical category: HEI electronic ignition retrofit - how to. In this catagory, there is a section relating to mounting.....where it shows the GM HEI module (only) mounted to an aluminium plate under a Mopar electronic distributor. The link shows a supplier of the plate ..... I'm trying to see if the plate is still available and its cost....but I'm not having any luck establishing contact.
Bob Renton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:34 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
I use one of THESE and heat sink paste for a 4-pin HEI module.

Before that, I had it screwed to the inner fender with some heat sink paste under it.

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Bob, was that by Designed to drive? That is who I saw had them, but they said they did not work on the Slant 6 distributor. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:44 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Rick Covalt wrote:
Bob, was that by Designed to drive? That is who I saw had them, but they said they did not work on the Slant 6 distributor. Good luck!

Gentlemen,
Thanks to all for the responses and advice. I was finally able to contact the person selling the mounting plate. I purchased one from him. Yes, I know it will NOT fit a slant six distributor. I intend to mount it under a Mopar electronic distributor to use in my RS23V0A GTX with a 440 six barrel engine.
I was able to buy a a NOS Mopar electronic distributor on eBay to use with the plate. My next purchases will be the recommended GM HEI module and coil.
Thanks again for your interest and help.
Bob Renton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:52 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
DUI made the distributors with the module hanging off them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:50 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1965 Valiant 170/A833/8 3/4SG
http://www.designed2drive.com/

Here is link for website. I have asked too if it fits slant six distributor...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:38 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
MJF wrote:
http://www.designed2drive.com/

Here is link for website. I have asked too if it fits slant six distributor...

I noticed that low in the description, it says that it does not fit the slant dizzy.

Roger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
RJRENTON wrote:
How does one add their email address to my profile to enable direct exchanges?

They can use the Email button at the bottom of the post. It's not a good idea to have your email address in the post. You will just be inviting spam.