Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum upgrade!
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:43 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:42 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model*: 1967 dodge dart 270 2 door hardtop
So I was running my Slant in the 67 Dart in the garage and the car is not in great condition or anything (it sat in thick bush for 30+ years), I had the headlights on and decided to try out the wiper blades, as I turned the switch I saw my Alternator gauge needle jump way back to the draining side, so I stopped and tried it again and the car tried to die so I stopped again and not thinking did it one more time out of curiosity and the car died. I soon realized as I tried to start the car again that nothing was working. It wasn't getting spark and all the electronics weren't working ex. headlights, dash lights etc. The only thing that still worked was the starter which I always jump the solenoid to start because the ignition switch has issues. Anyways so I checked the fuses under the dash and they were fine and then I did a quick scan of the engine bay and everything looked alright but I was just wondering what might be the problem. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:12 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model*: 1965 Plymouth Barracuda, 1954 Dodge C1-B8
Fusible link or ammeter blew out. I'm thinking you have a serious short circuit under the dash.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:47 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model*: '23 T-bucket
Did the wipers actually move at all?
If the motor or mechanism is locked up, the symptoms might be exactly what you experienced.

Roger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:44 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

GTS225 wrote:
Did the wipers actually move at all?
If the motor or mechanism is locked up, the symptoms might be exactly what you experienced.

Roger
No, GTS225 the wipers did not move at all. So you are saying that because the wiper motor didn’t move it most likely short circuited right? What I can’t figure out is why a fuse didn’t just blow instead and the other concern is that the engine isn’t getting spark which probably means it did some serious damage. Stuff that I, being a guy who isn’t great with electrical most likely can’t fix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:38 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model*: '23 T-bucket
A motor, whether A/C or D/C, that can't rotate, acts the same as a short circuit. When it gets energized,. it's supposed to start rotating up to a certain RPM, and in so doing, alters it's internal resistance, thus drawing lower amperage. If it's unable to rotate, (whether locked motor bearings or wiper trans in this case), it tries to draw an extreme amount of current, and a by-product of that is a low voltage level. (That condition is hard on all the remaining electrical, as well.)
You said it didn't happen until you attempted to turn on the wipers, and they didn't move at all. I suggest you do some serious work on that wiper motor and linkage to ensure it/they can move relatively freely. Then go about checking the wiring for a short before replacing your fusible link and try it again.
Now, the wiper motor could have been burned out as well, if it's locked up for some reason. As I said above, they try to pull excessive current, but are engineered for specific current levels. If the current is too high for too long, it can overheat and melt the windings internally, thus rendering the motor dead.

As for the lack of a fuse blowing, I don't know the details of the wiring for your car. It could be that the wiper isn't fused, but does get it's power through a fusible link. Check the harness where it comes out of the firewall, in the engine compartment. Look for a wire that appears as if the outer coating has been overheated and melted.

Roger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:48 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

So I took a look at the wiring today and the wiring on the car doesn’t look melted but I’ll give it a closer look tomorrow, especially for that fusible link. If I’m not mistaken the fusible link if shot would cut off power to pretty much everything in the car including the engine, wiper motor, etc. because it’s one of the first things connected from the battery, and it doesn’t burn out immediately like a regular fuse which would explain why it took three times for the engine to die. Right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:23 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model*: 1965 Plymouth Barracuda, 1954 Dodge C1-B8
Yes, the fusible link will cut power to everything except maybe the horn. That's the way my '66 Dart was at least. I fried my ammeter jump starting a Citation of all things so I had to jumper around it at the firewall by connecting the alternator wire to the battery feed.