Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:58 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1962 Dodge Dart
Hi all,

I am working on an old engine that is out of the vehicle and am working on building a rat rod. I am trying to figure out how to run a simple wiring set up from the battery to the coil. My question is, where do the wires that come off the pick-up and plate assembly (brown and black wires) go? I have a HAL system if that helps. I have the wiring diagram, but can't make sense of it.

I have one yellow wire that comes off the coil (negative side) and goes to a AA battery sized capacitor and the black and brown wires with a quick detach plug coming from the disributor. If I establish power from the positive side of the battery is that a two or one wire system? All the diagrams I have seen seem to show it being one wire from the battery to the coil with a ignition switch in the middle.

My plan is to run separate systems for powering the coil and for powering the starter. I already have the starter wiring figured out and am using a 60 am push button there.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling, I'm not quite sure how to describe everything.

Sincerely,

Paul Barrow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:31 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
My question is, where do the wires that come off the pick-up and plate assembly (brown and black wires) go?

You have an Electronic Ignition Distibutor...those wires and plug goes to a similar plug on the Mopar EI module...the module will have 4 or 5 wires,
the important wires to the EI module will be Ignition switched power, 2 wires for the distributor pick up, and 1 to hook to the coil to fire it...

https://www.allpar.com/fix/electronic-ignition.html

You can also use a GM HEI module instead and look up the wiring of it on the web, it's similar to the stock mopar EI wiring...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:41 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Thanks DI,

I will take a look at all of that tonight.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:11 am 
TBI Slant 6

Hi,

After looking over this the last week I have the following questions. At first I thought I wanted to go with the 5 pin box as it could have been used with my engine (1978). However the 4 pin box seems simpler to wire up. Is there any benifit to one over the other?

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:25 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I don't think I've seen an aftermarket or performance module with 5 pins...you will probably end up with a 4 pin module anyway.
There isn't any benefit affecting your project to go 5 pin (unless you have an OEM 5 70's 5 pin module laying around to use...),
and you can plug a 4 pin module in place of a 5 pin module with no issues.

FYI.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:19 am 
TBI Slant 6

Thanks DI,

I spoke with JEGs yesterday and they told me the same thing, thank you for your advice. I actually think I am about ready to fire this thing up! Need a few vacuum lines and that is about it (Knock on wood).

Paul