Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: Dodge Dart Convertible 1964, 1966 D100 Utiline
Its been about 2 months since I started installing the Supercharger kit from TorqStorm on my 64 Dart Convertible. I actually started prepping for it in Sept 17 by adding power front disc brakes. Gauges - Tach, Oil Pressure, Trans Temp, Vac/ Boost, and Wide Band O2. A 2.25" free flow exhaust. And a stock 74 electronic ignition. So the kit was great and had lots of instructions. I have also talked with Chris at TorqStorm and he has been very helpful. I have a few challenges because of decisions I made regarding staying with the single barrel manifold and keeping the power steering. I decided to use a Weber 32/36 DGEV progressive 2 barrel for the blow thru application. This required a small adapter and then I fabbed some brackets to use the stock linkage. Unfortunately it was too tall so I needed to replace the hat and tubing that came with the kit. The supercharger uses the PS pulley position, so I sourced the back pulley used by AC, which I don't have, and added an idler pulley to clear the supercharger bracket. The other issue with the power steering was that the box blocked where the kit wanted to put the intake. So I moved the battery to the trunk and am fashioning a CAI. I also put a nipple on the fuel pump atmospheric port to see if it will handle the boost reference and upgraded to a 3 row aluminum radiator. Everything fits with some pretty tight tolerances. I have it mostly installed and plan to fire it up in a few weeks. Wish me luck (hopefully good, haha).
Cheers, Bill.

Attachments:
File comment: PS re-route
TorqStorm Idler Pulley.jpeg
TorqStorm Idler Pulley.jpeg [ 225.47 KiB | Viewed 16734 times ]
File comment: Belt layout
TorqStorm Belts.jpeg
TorqStorm Belts.jpeg [ 177.48 KiB | Viewed 16734 times ]
File comment: Almost there
TorqStorm 64 Dart.jpeg
TorqStorm 64 Dart.jpeg [ 224.39 KiB | Viewed 16734 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:00 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
Looks great! Let us know how it runs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:17 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Cooooool! 8)

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Sounds great, Bill. You are ahead of me. I am working on a motor to use with the torqstorm kit. Yes, it looks and seems to fit very nice on mock up. Will you be using the standard head unit pulley for 6-7 psi?

Keep us updated!

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:32 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Hiya Lou,
I have the 3 1/2" pulley, don't know what is standard or what it will push. Also, I forgot to add that I stuck a 16" electric thermostatically controlled fan on a bracket in front of the radiator (push). Still fashioning the CAI box. I have a cardboard template and am looking for the right material to fab it.
Cheers, Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Well, Rodger the Dodger is back on the road and running great. I found this wonder material PA light project PVC and fabbed the CAI with a utility knife, heat gun, and PVC cement!
I am not registering as much boost as I expected, 3 lbs max, but suspect the plumbing. I ordered a doohickey to hook up the intake to my air compressor and will suss this out.
I definitely feel the increased power throughout the RPM range, just gut feel, no dyno. Maybe it is the whine and huff that is coloring my perceptions, haha.
At first my wife thought that it was too noisy, but I am learning to drive it keyed off the vac/boost and she is starting to appreciate the harmonies.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:06 pm 

Car Model:
Cool! Progress is good... I am having garage work done, so my project has stalled a bit.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model: 1964 Dart Convertible
Have you done any other work to the engine? I have a 64 Dart vert' as well, and am very interested in your project. Also, is the head stock?
Thanks,
Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:30 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Hi Shawn,
As far as I can determine, I have a stock 74 block while everything else was stock 64. I bought Rodger a few years ago thinking that it was all stock and then turned up the block year when researching it's codes. I did a compression test and everything comes up golden. So, since it was not all stock, I decided to try the TorqStorm kit. It is running fantastic. I am still dialing it in and determining my boost/ rpm range. Once I get those details I am going to check with TorqStorm that it is boosting as designed. Very happy!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:20 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Hmmmmm, I wonder if one of those will clear the motor plate in my Valiant. :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
slantzilla wrote:
Hmmmmm, I wonder if one of those will clear the motor plate in my Valiant. :?

Put some boost to it, you won't have to wind that poor slant so high! :lol:

CJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:52 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
But it sounds so good. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:10 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Here is an update. The engine is running very well. I even was juiced about getting more boost by going to a smaller pulley. Chris at TorqStorm was great and ready to facilitate, but as I suspected might happen, my 904 is starting to suffer. It is slipping when shifting into 3rd. If I am giving it over 3/4 throttle then it takes some time to shift and the engine revs before it gets into 3rd. If I manually shift, then it doesn't slip, weird. Actually, I thought that the stock rear end would go first, but hey. So I am trying to sort this out by dialing in the kick down linkage adjustment and tightening the front band. I also have a deep pan and TransGo TK-SC shift kit on order. I will see how my adjusting skills go and drop the pan to see if a rebuild is eminent. I am still driving it and it is a blast. Highly recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:12 pm 

Car Model:
Sounds great, except for the 904 troubles. Yep, you might get away with the shift kit and band and kickdown linkage adjustments. Probably good to stay out of it until you get that sorted. The 904 will take plenty of power, assuming everything is in good shape.

I am moving slowly toward my torqstorm install. Need to get my new shortblock finished first - maybe 2 months?

Lou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Success!!! I dropped the pan, what a mess, and replaced with a 2” deep aluminum one with a drain plug that I hope to never need. I adjusted the bands according to the WSM and they were definitely in need of adjustment. The reverse band was easy peezy, the kick down band was tough to get to. I bailed on the shift kit after reading the fine print that the new valve could not be used on older 904s with a rear pump. Just as well because dropping the valve body looked like a PITA. The next step was to fine tune the kick down linkage since tightening the bands threw it out of whack. I followed the recommendations and moved it a little bit at a time to zero in on the sweet spot. Viola, the slipping is gone and it drives fantastic.
And, the shift points are higher at more throttle as they should be, so now the boost pops as I had originally expected. I should have known all this, but a homer learns as things go wrong and research enlightens. Gotta love it, haha!