Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: smog pump supercharger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 75valiant custom
i was just wondering, has anybody ever invented this modification? just find a way to force the fresh air into the intake rather than the exhaust. sounds like a lot of fun, especially if it would work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
This has been discussed before. I personally brought it up a few years ago. The problem is the displacement of the smog pump is so small that it really wouldn't do much. You wouldn't see any benefit unless you ganged together something like 12 smog pumps and then you would have to devise a pressure regulation system. Not worth it.

Nice thinking though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:56 am 
TBI Slant 6

ah, well. a few backwoods boys where i live claim that you can successfully convert one into an air pump (for compressed air). one guy supposedly turned the front bumper on his pickup into an airtank (it is a pipe bumper), and gets his air supply from the smog pump.

DISCLAIMER: while i have indeed actually seen the truck, i've never seen him air anything up with it. i suspect that it is true, but i can't swear to it.

for folks in rural areas with pickups, i do admit it's a nifty idea to always be able to fill a flat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:03 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
People typically use an air conditioning compressor as an air compressor, not a smog pump. I don't think the internal seals in a smog pump would hold up too much pressure. I have seen pictures and read descriptions of numerous off road vehicles where the AC compressor was converted into an air compressor to refill tires deflated to get through rough terrain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I vote leaf blower supercharger!
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... percharger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:10 pm 
TBI Slant 6

reed, you may be absolutely right and i could have "misremembered", as it's been at least four or five years since i saw the truck.

although in oklahoma, you'd have to be out of your mind to choose compressed air over air conditioning... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:13 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I tried this on a lawn mower a few years with fun but catastrophic results. To get any kind of real boost we had to put a tiny pulley on it and spin it way faster then recommended. We blew two of them up just idling in the shop...(the little fiberglass fins inside didn't like the rpms) we then decided to fire it up and just go for it. We broke the slicks on the lawn mower loose, it flew for about 200 yards getting through all 5 gears until the pump grenaded and sent shrapnel threw the engine ending our racing mower idea. So I would think you would be a lot better off with a m90 supercharger off of a 3800 if you wanted to go the cheap route