Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:40 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:

Disregard that statement in the last post after further thought there's no possible way to only run one piece of wire! But here's a couple pics of the grooves overlapping

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... p?t=126611

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:01 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
It looks like from your pic that your o-ring placement is outside the fire ring of the head gasket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:47 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
CNC-Dude wrote:
It looks like from your pic that your o-ring placement is outside the fire ring of the head gasket.

CNC dude if this response is for me I had the head off after I clamped it down to check that and on all six cylinders the O Ring was making contact with the fire ring. Thanks thou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
My phone likes to double post for some unknown reason so ill add this. When I first O ringed the block I had a hussey copper gasket to use. After a couple tries at getting to seal up with zero positive results I tried the felpro gasket and so far I haven't had any problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:05 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Aaron. I have seen the figure eight setup, but we had a lot more room than that, so went with six individual O-Rings...

I appreciate the input!!!

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:42 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Update: Had an interesting day with the O-Rings.

I ground the "backend-probe" (the little part that sticks out the rear, when you open the jaws of a digital caliper,) thin enough to fit inside the O-Ring grooves, so I could measure the ACTUAL depth of the grooves and found that...

MOST were not .030"-deep like they were supposed to be. This Isky cutter is a learned art... by that I mean it cannot be depended upon to give you O-Ring grooves of a consistent depth unless you check the grooves constantly as they are being cut.

I had some grooves that were as shallow as .012" but, NONE over .030"-deep, so that was not a problem.

No wonder I had trouble getting the wire to stay in the grooves; I was oblivious to the fact that even though the cutter seemed to be THROUGH cutting, the depth of the groove had not been cut to the "required" depth.

Once the groove was consistent at .030" -deep. the wire went right in and stayed.

I need to pay MORE ATTENTION!!!!

Can't believe I made a stupid mistake like that... but, I did. SEVERAL TIMES!!!

I got three of them policed-up, and cut to the consistent, correct depths, today. The grooves are .030"-deep; the wire is .039." The groove-width is .041".

Tomorrow, I will finish cutting the other three, and install the wire.

We decided to use the copper wire that came with the kit, because of the Fel-Pro fire-ring material; it seemed the stainless steel wire might cut right through the fire ring; I don't think the copper wire will; it's too soft. The stainless wire is really tough, even after having been annealed.

They say "confession is good for the soul."

Why don't I feel good, now?

Stupidity is its own reward???

Guess so...

Bill in Conway, Arkansas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:19 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
billdedman wrote:
Update: Had an interesting day with the O-Rings.

I ground the "backend-probe" (the little part that sticks out the rear, when you open the jaws of a digital caliper,) thin enough to fit inside the O-Ring grooves, so I could measure the ACTUAL depth of the grooves and found that...

MOST were not .030"-deep like they were supposed to be. This Isky cutter is a learned art... by that I mean it cannot be depended upon to give you O-Ring grooves of a consistent depth unless you check the grooves constantly as they are being cut.

I had some grooves that were as shallow as .012" but, NONE over .030"-deep, so that was not a problem.

No wonder I had trouble getting the wire to stay in the grooves; I was oblivious to the fact that even though the cutter seemed to be THROUGH cutting, the depth of the groove had not been cut to the "required" depth.

Once the groove was consistent at .030" -deep. the wire went right in and stayed.

I need to pay MORE ATTENTION!!!!

Can't believe I made a stupid mistake like that... but, I did. SEVERAL TIMES!!!

I got three of them policed-up, and cut to the consistent, correct depths, today. The grooves are .030"-deep; the wire is .039." The groove-width is .041".

Tomorrow, I will finish cutting the other three, and install the wire.

We decided to use the copper wire that came with the kit, because of the Fel-Pro fire-ring material; it seemed the stainless steel wire might cut right through the fire ring; I don't think the copper wire will; it's too soft. The stainless wire is really tough, even after having been annealed.

They say "confession is good for the soul."

Why don't I feel good, now?

Stupidity is its own reward???

Guess so...

Bill in Conway, Arkansas

Well, after much careful measuring and even more cutting with the (Isky) groovemaster tool, , the (copper) O-Rings are in with NO end gaps, the head is on, torqued down (90-foot pounds on 220,000-psi custom studs) and the valves are adjusted.

Now, we can start re-assembling the rest of the engine, the headers, intake manifold, turbo and accessories. Should be running in a week, or so...

Wish us luck! :)