Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Marine carb?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:58 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hello there guys! My name is Cody. I've been lurking around here for a while now and have a question for you guys. I've got a 1976 Scamp with a 225 single barrel carter and 3-speed on the floor. Just recently aquired a '73 225 with a single Holley as well that claims to have been rebuilt. I have been trying to gather parts up for a turbo build and so far have a Toyota CT26 off a 3.0 diesel with MAF and o2 sensor (tho for now im going to go carb) and recently found a Holley 2300 2 bbl at work, gotta love working in a scrap yard, it seems to be in great condition. I ran the numbers and it has a 5 digit List# which evidently makes it a Marine carb. My research says that it differs in venting from the auto version via venting of the float bowls into the throat of the carb and has sealed shafts all so no vapors leak into the bilge of the boat. So my question is if this carb could be a used in a blow through set up on a car? A blow through carb will have to be sealed off to outside pressure anyways which would include the vents anways would it not?

Thanks in advance for your time.
P.S. This car is my DD, I plan on around 10 psi, an intercooler, keeping 3-speed but eventually want a T-5 (as I run 2 hrs a day on the highway and crave a closer ratio as well) just looking for some mpg efficiency and some extra, Keeping motor stock less maybe some porting and cam. As I am on an extreme budget (Single income family of 4 ;) ) I will try and just modify existing componentis ie. intake and exhaust manifolds to work with turbo and 2bbl.

Sorry this is kinda long winded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:13 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I have both the auto and marine version of a Holley 2300. The problem with the Marine one you have, is that it may not even be a 350cfm, but a 270. There's a few different sizes. I found that out the hard way. For the marine one i would've sealed up the vents that go to the bore, as they need to be directed towards the boost pressure in the tube.

Check out Rusty's build with his budget turbo valiant, or mine here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/sho ... p?t=284845

I've gone through 4 or 5 carbs looking for one that will work with the easiest modifications and settled on a 350 Holley 2300.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:48 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I'm no expert, but off the top of my head the CT26 would be too small to be useful. Especially if it came off of a diesel smaller than your 225...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:32 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Yeah I can see that, I just saw a landcruiser at my work that said "3.0 turbo diesel' and figured grab it and see. Didnt really think about flow charts or any of that, but its bigger than the two garrets I have left over from my 85 Lancer 2.2.

Post subject: Its a 500cfm wooo
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:37 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hey Serg, I just did some research and found out the Marine 2300 I have is a 500 cfm unit. List 80316. Took a bit of digging but I found it. I think this is the carb im going to go with, Ill keep you guys posted on how this works from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:20 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Doesn't sound too bad to me then. I'd go for it.