Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: How fast can it go?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:21 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
In the same vein as the other low $$ projects, I have an '80 Volare motor in my car that I got from Volaredon a few years ago. It had about 75,000 or so on it when I bought it and it has been in the car before for half a season. I paid Don about $75 for it IIRC.

The car as it sits has a 904 with a Griner manual valve body in it, 3400 stall Midwest converter that I've had for quite a while, and my time tested 8-3/4 w/3.91 Sure Grip that I have also had for years. Ignition is the same MP MSD 6-AL and 3 step that I harvested out of the Duster when it went on hiatus 4 years ago.

My main focus is the motor itself and how much improvement we can get for the least amount of $$$ to spend.

Right now the motor has had the valves adjusted 4 years ago, last time it was in the car. At that time, I also put a used MP double roller chain in it out of my original Duster motor. It was installed dot-to-dot, no degreeing was done. I bought 3 of the chains for $40 each 8 years ago, so figure with the gaskets we are now at $140 in the motor. I also had to change to my '66 pan so there's another $10 for a pan gasket.

I am running my original Offy intake that I bought at a swap meet 10 years ago for $75 and my 390 Holley that I bought off the old .com board 5 years ago for $50. Exhaust for now is a borrowed pair of Dutra Dual castings courtesy of Bill Hoft, and a pair of 1-7/8" down tubes bent up by Jeff Long for $20. If my math is correct that's $295.

Yesterday in 85* temp, 29% humidity, and a 25-30 mph dead cross wind it ran 16:62@79 mph with my fat azz in the car. (Susan was supposed to drive but declined because of the wind)

Car 60' at 2.16, and went through the 1/8th at 10:43. It weighed a shade over 2900# w/me in it, so a normal sized driver will get it down to 2700# for a shot at the B nitrous record.

I am thinking that when I get some headers back from Harold at Spitfire, it will get back down into the low 16's. (It went 16:20 before in good air w/headers)

My next trick will be to try the 390 double pumper that I bought from Dave Erikson out at Vegas for $100. Thanks again Dave and Wayne! :D

After that the bottle goes on. I still think that with a little luck and a lot of hose we can get this pig into the 12's with a stock motor. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:59 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Hey 'Zilla,

I think you'll get it down into the mid to high 15s with just more tuning and Susan behind the wheel. :shock:

Once you start pouring the juice into it I say you'll get it to go a few rounds getting it into the mid to high 13's before you get silly and put just a bit too much juice to it and hurt something. You may get that 12 second run, but it will be the motor's last one.

Let us know how it goes and thanks for the post. I enjoy living vicariously through reading about the adventures of others, but I'd sure rather be there doing it myself.

Any body else with a prediction?

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:48 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I cant wait till Susan runs 11.95 .........

Why no cam? Why no head?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:42 am 

sandy in BC wrote:
I cant wait till Susan runs 11.95 .........

Why no cam? Why no head?

This is an experiment with a box stock motor. I also wanted to start Susan out with something that wouldn't kill her since she has never been down a race track before.

This is also an mexperiment in how fast you can go with the least amount of money spent. I know that the results are already skewed because of the stuff already in the car, but so far it appears that my good motor is worth about 2 seconds and 15 mph over a stocker. Can't wait to see if a stocker picks up as much on the hose as my good motor. :?

Rob, more info to follow as gathered. :D

Post subject: guesstimate times
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:48 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
w/susan 15.85 no boost--- with boost 2 passes 14.teens then you will have to fix a blown head gasket

Post subject: Re: guesstimate times
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:18 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
VDART wrote:
with boost 2 passes 14.teens then you will have to fix a blown head gasket

I don't think so. I have been running almost stock 170's in my Cuda at 3250 lbs, and have gone low 13's. Have had no trouble with head gaskets. Have had some problem with pistons. I don't think my problem is with the nitrous itself. I think I have an ign problem. Possibly crossfire in the cap, or maybe a problem with the nitrous system, itself. It is always the same cylinder.

Dennis: I think you will have no problem running 12's. The 66 Valiant I am building is looking for mid 12's, with a very mild motor.

Specs for my build here: http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11218

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:17 pm 

OK, I was down at the shop today and made a couple changes on the car.

First I installed my free left side alternator brackets. I seriously doubt if there is any ET or MPH gain there, but the right side of the motor is wide open now for plug changes.

I also installed the Moroso electric fan/water pump drive that I bought at a swap meet 5 years ago. Not sure if it is worth any ET or MPH either, but it does give me a switch to leave on and run the battery down between rounds. :lol:

I am getting my nitrous setup ready to go back on too. I spent a little coin to kinda dress it up this year. I got the Edelbrock plate that mounts the solenoids so they are not hanging by the steel lines anymore, the Edelbrock billet WOT switch bracket that mounts where the choke mechanism should be, and some NOS braided lines to replace the stainless steel tubes from the solenoids to the plate.

I will put the spray back on next week and hopefully test next Saturday night at 75 horse. My Top Gun jets won't work in my NOS plate, and 75 is the biggest shot I can use until I get some bigger jets.

This plate will spray up to 250 horse. Mike has already threatened bodily harm to me if I exceed 125. :roll: :roll: :roll:

My Edelbrock bracket also has spots for 2 more solenoids. I can mount both plates and run a 400 shot now. That brilliant idea has already been run past Mike too, and was not as well recieved as you would ahve thought either. :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:31 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

slantzilla wrote:
OK, I was down at the shop today and made a couple changes on the car.

...Not sure if it is worth any ET or MPH either, but it does give me a switch to leave on and run the battery down between rounds. :lol:

This plate will spray up to 250 horse. Mike has already threatened bodily harm to me if I exceed 125. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The more gadjets you have the more that can go wrong. I always think of Dale Rose for some reason. It seems like I was always hearing stories about him setting his delay box wrong or accidentally flipping a switch or something. It probably only happened those couple of times, but that is stuck in my head. I have to keep my stuff as simple as possible. I ain't none too bright anyhow.

One of these days Mike is going to cut you off 'Zilla. Ancient Chinese saying: "You not listen to engine builder's advice, he no longer fix your broken stuff!"

Have you not been going to your NA Meetings 'Zilla? (Nitrous Anonymous) :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:45 am 

Rob Simmons wrote:
One of these days Mike is going to cut you off 'Zilla. Ancient Chinese saying: "You not listen to engine builder's advice, he no longer fix your broken stuff!"

Talked to Mike last night as a matter of fact. I started talking about spraying 250 from one plate and 150 from another. He instantly changed the subject. :?

Quote:
Have you not been going to your NA Meetings 'Zilla? (Nitrous Anonymous) :lol:

I've tried, but no one can keep clean long enough to show anyone else how to do it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:21 pm 
SSRN National Champion

Car Model:
Basic redneck phisics Bagel how much weight can you take off the car. 100 lbs = 1/10 of a second. That is static weight. Rolling weight is more. Hell Bagel You know all of that stuff. What did you do get stuck in a snow blind. Your Racing Friend Possum. :D

Bagels On Juice Im On Boost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:31 am 

Ron, I have about as much weight out as I can get.

Car is ready to go. I am going to try and run it Saturday and Sunday on Memorial Day weekend for my birthday. RT 66 has the Wally race that Sunday, and I will try and test at 41 Saturday night. :shock:

Post subject: Re: How fast can it go?
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:55 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
slantzilla wrote:

Car 60' at 2.16, and went through the 1/8th at 10:43. It weighed a shade over 2900# w/me in it, so a normal sized driver will get it down to 2700# for a shot at the B nitrous record.

. :shock:

Just looking at this thread, again. Just weighed mine, at 2740, with me, a little heavy. I guess, if I take out the bench seat, and put in a aluminum bucket, and maybe remove the front bumper, she will get below 2,700. Looks like, if my 66 Valiant runs OK, I have a shot at the record, also. Going to try at Valdosta, on Memorial day weekend. Wonder if Doug will try to lower the existing record up at Medford? Lets have a good ole western gunfight. :D :D :D

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject: Re: How fast can it go?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:43 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Charrlie_S wrote:
...Looks like, if my 66 Valiant runs OK, I have a shot at the record, also. Going to try at Valdosta, on Memorial day weekend. Wonder if Doug will try to lower the existing record up at Medford? Lets have a good ole western gunfight. :D :D :D

Go get him Charrlie!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:40 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Dennis, do you know what setup is in your 390 carb? pri/sec jets, pump shooter/cam, and sec spring? I have never run a 390, and the one on my car is an out of the box, used carb.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:21 am 

On my vaccum secondary carb I have never played with the cam, but it has 52 and 54 jets in it. Mine has been converted to a secondary metering block instead of the tin plate deal. I have always run the lightest spring in the secondaries I can. 10.5 power valve.

I saw what your car ran last night. Looks like it was down on MPH for that ET. Prolly was running out of fuel the first pass too. :shock:

Some good numbers for first time out. :D