Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:36 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1963 Plymouth Valiant
I guess I'm a little late to the party, but I took the swinger to the drag strip last year just for laughs. Everything was wore out - suspension, tires, engine, you name it, and I didn't really try. Just put it in drive and mash the pedal.

60' - 3.05
1/8 - 14.14
1/4 - 22.18 @ 60.6mph

A '70something 4 door Imperial hardtop (440 engine) was in the other lane, beat me with a 18.08 @ 77mph, heh. :)

So I'm in the middle of the new build, I hope to get everything together before the track closes this year. I'm hoping to see 16.5 with the new set up, I hope I'm not over-estimating what I'm doing. '83 225 + .030", 8.8:1 CR, super six + dutra duals, comp 252H cam, home port/polish on the head. Doing the T-5 swap, planning on running 3.55-3.90 gears in the rear w/ sure grip; Cop Car wheels. The weight of those wheels are gonna kill me, but they sure were cheaper than alloys.

Updates will be posted whenever I get the car back on the road...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:56 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
May I ask why you are using a hydraulic cam instead of the solid lifter unit? You do know the comp cam 252H is a hydo cam, right?

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:16 pm 
TBI Slant 6

It's a hydro cam motor... I'm using it just to be stubborn, I guess. All the valves stem heights are within a few thousands, and I had pushrods made to compensate for the milled head.

If it turns out that the hyd. setup is as bad as it gets talked about here, I'll swap it over to the solid lifter setup. I wanted to use it because I'd never seen it before, mainly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:47 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
72polara wrote:
It's a hydro cam motor... I'm using it just to be stubborn, I guess. All the valves stem heights are within a few thousands, and I had pushrods made to compensate for the milled head.

If it turns out that the hyd. setup is as bad as it gets talked about here, I'll swap it over to the solid lifter setup. I wanted to use it because I'd never seen it before, mainly.

OK , just wanted to make sure you knew what you are up against. Since you have the stem hights even, and the push rods made shorter, you might very well be ok, and not have problems.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:34 am 
TBI Slant 6

Thanks for looking out. :)

We'll see how it goes... if it works out, I think it'll be kinda cool to have a slant that doesn't have that distinctive solid lifter tick... on the other hand, I was planning on an automatic when I built this one; I'm probably going to wish I had the solid setup (and a slightly wilder grind) now that I'm sticking a manual transmission back there.