Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:56 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Now that I've finally gone and picked up the Challenger from Norm Foster down in Dalton, GA it's time to start the offical Virtual Dragstrip thread for the car. :D

This is a car that started out life as a 1981 Dodge (Mitsubishi) Challenger.

The story goes that there was a King of the Street racer by the name of Mike Robbins from Ringgold, GA who was going to build a serious Slant 6 drag car back around 2003 to go Fast Four racing.

He originally planned to build a Dodge Daytona and purchased a body and tube chassis from one of our fellow former Slant 6 drag racers, Dale Rose. Well, one of Mike's employees had this running and driving Challenger that was in pretty good shape...

Out came the tape measure and before you knew it there was a new '81 Dodge Challenger tube frame drag car under works! :D

Who wants to build yet another Daytona? EVERYONE builds Daytonas! :roll:

When was the last time you saw a 1981 Dodge Challenger or Plymouth Sapporo at your local cruise or drag strip!? :shock:

Well, one thing led to another and before you know it Mike lost interest in Slant 6 drag racing and set his sights on the much more common and boring Hemi powered 7 second Viper... :roll: :lol:

Luckily, there was another dedicated Slant 6 drag racer living just down the road in Dalton, GA. In steps Norm Foster, who at the time was racing a '73 Duster (see my other Virtual Dragstrip thread "GodsRods Duster II" - I have this funny habit of buying all of Norm's drag cars when he's done with them. :lol: )

Norm bought the Challenger "In-Progress" on 15 January, 2004 and finished things up on it, putting the engine from his Duster in the Challenger and proceeded to upgrade and refine the car. It became one of the best Slant 6 drag cars in our series and carried Norm to the National Championship in 2006. :shock:

In his Championship year Norm set and still holds the 1/8th Mile A/Alcohol E.T. and Speed records of 7.355 @ 92.39 MPH. :shock:

Norm continued to race the Challenger through the 2010 season and put it up for sale with no takers. I think it was just so cool and fast that it scared everyone away! :D

Unfortunately, the car slowed down by about a second at a race in 2010 causing Norm to suspect a spun main bearing...

At this same time I was still stationed overseas and trying to get Norm's old Duster put together and ready for my return. Things weren't coming together quite as I had planned, but I did have a serious Slant 6 drag engine built by Gary Bruner...

The wheels started turning and Norm and I talked about me buying the Challenger. We had actually talked about it several times before, but this time the timing was right and we made the deal. :D

I drove down to Dalton, GA on 9 September, 2011 and picked up my new prize. I will post more as I dig in and begin to figure out this next level of drag racing.

The Challenger has just about every bell and whistle there is and runs in the mid 11's in the 1/4 mile (7.3s in the 1/8th). I'm just a novice foot braker that has never been quicker than low 13's, so my learning curve is going to be fairly steep with this one. I'm really looking forward to the "Challenge"! :D

I present for your viewing pleasure my 1981 Dodge Challenger drag car.

Huge thanks to Norm Foster for passing on this awesome Slant 6 drag car! You can race it any time you want Norm!

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looking forward to seeing this great car back on the track next year! Congrats, Rob! Thanks for the rundown.

Lou

Post subject: Mason Dixon 1V
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:09 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Lou,

I think he should be ready for his debut at Mason Dixon IV in May 2012 don't you? :lol: I will have Ryan give him directions when he comes to Clay City in 2 weeks! Car looks great Rob. Congratulation!

Rick Covalt

PS. I know of 4 new cars that should be at Mason Dixon next year. Rob could make it 5!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Is the cage legal with the door bars bent like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:23 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Did you get the toilet with it Rob?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:55 pm 
Poser

Car Model:
I'm thinking the cage is legal. It's kinda like a girl's bicycle versus a boys. All Rob needs to do is put a basket on the front and those streamer thingys that fit into the end of the handle bar grips. :shock:

Post subject: Re: Mason Dixon 1V
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:32 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Rick Covalt wrote:
I think he should be ready for his debut at Mason Dixon IV in May 2012 don't you?

I'm definitely gonna try Rick! The plan is to start tearing into this thing and start mixin' and matchin' parts right after Clay City.

I'll be bugging Gerald (and others here) to death with all sorts of questions about what parts will work together for the best possible package. It's really nice to have "options" for a change. :D

Joshua Skinner wrote:
Is the cage legal with the door bars bent like that?

That's one of the planned fixes in the future Josh. Norm has been running the car this way at many different NHRA and other tracks since 2004 without issues that I know of.

The car is not "certified". That is where the sticking point is. Gerald has given me some pointers on this and I'll be looking into having it inspected for an official "Gig List" to have fixed.

I've got a couple recommendations for good chassis builders in the area.

The cage will be one of the many "Challenger Updates" in this thread.

slantzilla wrote:
Did you get the toilet with it Rob?

Yep! Just like it is in the pictures (although the parts are on the floorboard now :lol: ) Will PM'd with the same question and said that when he had it on his car at 2,200# it ran 11.20s I believe. So there's plenty there to go as fast as I'm comfortable with. :shock:

Norm has a full 55 gallon barrel of Methanol waiting for my next trip down there. I'm a little nervous about running Methanol, but it's all part of the steep learning curve. I hope I'm up for the "Challenge".

wvenable wrote:
I'm thinking the cage is legal. It's kinda like a girl's bicycle versus a boys. All Rob needs to do is put a basket on the front and those streamer thingys that fit into the end of the handle bar grips.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Wayne, you crack me up! I love it! :D

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:52 am 
SL6 Racer

Car Model:
By the looks that cage is good to 10.00,dont need to certify till 9.99.Leave it alone and race it,otherwise about 5 years from now we will be reading about 15/20 items left to do to get it race ready. You can run the toilet on gasoline with pill and nozzle change,I dont know you Rob ,just kidding and really admire your devotion and support of sl.6 racing. Glen Terry talked about this car for months, he was just short of making a deal for it a couple of years ago.I even volunteered to drive to Georgia with him to get it but he wouldnt pull the trigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:18 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Hey Sergio!

Thanks for that feedback! I don't plan to dip into the 9's with this thing anytime in the near future. :shock: Just runnin' 11's is gonna keep my hands full for a good long while.

Very good point about not fixing what isn't broken. And I DO like the ease of entry with this design. :wink:

Also great to know about the toilet! :D That will make things a lot more flexible. There is a local racer that I've heard is a Flyin' Toilet Guru and runs on Methanol, so I'm going to see if he'll take me under his wing a little.

I knew that Glen and a couple others were interested in the car, so I held back for the longest time. Norm had it for sale for a long time and it didn't look like anyone was going to buy it. He was very close to trading it for a V8 street car. If I hadn't bought it when I did he said he would have done that deal. He's really glad that it will stay "In the Family". :D

This is a big step for me. I'm thinking this will be the last race car I'll ever have for myself. I hope to build a few more GodsRods race cars over the years though... :wink:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Last edited by Rob Simmons on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:24 pm 
Poser

Car Model:
Congrats on the car Rob! Well deserved. Can't wait to see it in person. That cage will make it alot easier for all of that cross dressing you do on the weekends. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:30 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
That is a cool little car!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:03 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Thanks raPoM! I'm really excited about this car. :D

Wayne,... Wayne,... Wayne,... I just really don't know what to say to you... The girl's bicycle comment was cute and fitting to the topic...

This cross dressing comment, however, causes me to question your true motives for posting it... :?

Did I hurt your feelings by calling you out about your stalled Front Engine Dragster (FED) plans...?

Or perhaps my comments pertaining to you having more Slant 6 engines than most of us and not having an actual vehicle to put them in...?

Or maybe it's my repeated comments about you teasing me with all these Road Trips and always leaving me hanging...?

Oh wait! I know,... It was my late night phone call to your wife during last year's awards banquet that got you in so much trouble! :shock:

Perhaps it's a combination of all these things... :?

Nah! It's probably just because you're a Rush fan! :shock: Aren't all Rush fans cross dressers? :P

(Editor's Note: No one was hurt in the posting of this message. These posts are submitted by trained professionals in the art of "banter" and in no way reflect reality or true intentions of harm to one another. Do not attempt this at home. :lol: )

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:12 am 
Poser

Car Model:
And you my friend are a true artist - I bow before the master! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now to wipe the coffee off the monitor....Man I love this forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:43 pm 

Car Model: 68 Valiant
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:43 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

slantzilla wrote:
:shock:

Well 'Zilla,... If you and Possum ain't gonna banter back and forth no more, I s'pose it's up to folks like me and Wayne to carry the flag... :wink:

What do you say Wayne? How's 'bout we call it,

"Poser v. Poser" :shock: :lol:

I’m Mater
The Kentucky Poser