Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 821 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Some interesting stats.

On the Dart:

The fastest time in 2011 was 9.318, in 2012 it was 9.125, and in 2013 it is 9.035. Same basic engine with a better tune each year.

The best 60' in 2011 was 2.344, in 2012 it was 2.385, and in 2013 it is 2.399. Remarkably consistent between the years. Just more wear and tear on the tires and clutch.

The best reaction time for 2011 was 0.24, and in 2012 it was 0.08 and in 2013 it was 0.029. Most were a lot slower then these, and red lights don't count.

On the Duster:

The fastest time in 2012 was 10.343, and in 2013 it was 10.092. This reflects exhaust changes, carb tuning and transmission reprogramming and experience.

The best 60' in 2012 was 2.635 and in 2013 it was 2.584. The only changes in the suspension was new 6 leaf springs.

The best reaction time in 2012 was 0.11 and in 2013 it was 0.029. The biggest difference was the consistence that Deb showed in 2013.

Some observations:

The cars are remarkable resistant to suspension changes. Changing air pressure, clamping springs, changing springs, varying rpm levels for launch, varying fuel levels and the 60' times remained basically the same.

An Offenhauser manifold with a Autolite 2v is no better then a cast iron Super Six with the same carb. An Edelbrock AVS carb is very sensitive to float levels, fuel pressure and secondary flapper adjustments. A Clifford manifold is noticeable better than an Offenhauser manifold, even if the ETs don't really show much difference. The stock fuel pump is marginal at best.

A bigger exhaust pipe is better then a smaller one, this is backed up by improved ETs.

Hot days wreak havoc on performance.

A 3200 pound Duster with automatic and 2.73 gears likes 15* BTDC and 30* overall with the total advance all in by 3200 rpms. A 2800 pound Dart with 4 speed and 3.55 gears likes 10* BTDC and 32* overall, with the total advance all in by 2800 rpms. Anything else and the engines are just dogs.

A stock '67 Valiant is faster then a stock '73 Duster.

Reaction times win races, even when running heads up and you have the more powerful car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:24 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I am getting an irrational urge to stomp on the gas pedal. Luckily Sunday is the first day of the racing season...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
kesteb wrote:
I am getting an irrational urge to stomp on the gas pedal. Luckily Sunday is the first day of the racing season...

You can always fulfill that urge on an isolated freeway on ramp too.
:-)

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:40 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
When I was younger and the traffic wasn't as heavy,I would indulge such fantasies...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:04 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Well after a few rain outs, we were actually able to race. What was supposed to be a points race turned into a test and tune. Which was fortunate, because a thunder shower rolled in toward the end of the session.

The biggest change was that we sold the Duster before the season started. Deb will most likely be driving our 350z. Since this isn't s 350z board I won't be talking about it much. But the first run we were able to pull a easy 8.3 second run with me driving. Deb did a best of 8.5. The car is a 6 speed and Deb doesn't have much experience with racing a manual transmission so it will be a learning experience for her.

I made some changes to the Dart during the off season. Most of which I backed out of after the first run. I cranked down on the secondary spring one full turn and changed the step-up springs to the "steel" colored ones. The car sputtered and I changed to the "yellow" springs which cleared up the sputter.

Apparently doing a burnout before staging can soften up street TA's enough that they sorta hook. When they hook, and with appropriate amounts of trac bite, I now get wheel hop. Sigh...

The Dart ran the best of 9.06. Which is the fastest that it has run. Now I need to work on the traction problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:53 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Went racing today. For one reason or another is the second time on the track. The track was at 80* with little to no breeze.

I had made some carburetor changes that I thought were for the good. These came about by finding that spot where you can punch it and not worry about others. First time down the track the car sucked. So over the next few rounds they were dialed out.

The first thing that I found is that 4.5 lbs of fuel pressure to the carb is not enough. 5.5 is good, but it will eventually bend the float tabs. Second was readjusting the secondary flap. I needed to really loosen this up and the engine is very sensitive to this setting. Once this was done, the car started running like it should. At full throttle I have 0 inches of vacuum, which is good. I re-gapped the plugs, cleaned off the rotor and the car started running in the low 9s.

So we're ready for the brackets. I went out the first round with a 8.98. Thats right I broke out. For three years I have been trying to get this car go into the 8's and I have finally dipped into them. Lost the round, but damn it felt good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:20 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Congrats! Always nice to see improvement. I went on a mission to get my street-driven 64 Dart into the 13s starting in 1996, and just succeeded earlier this year!

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:34 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Congrats on the 8's I was pumped when I finally broke that barrier!

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:23 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Three weeks to the first T&T and a box of parts from Summit just showed up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:47 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The box of parts have been installed, but no T&T. Outside commitments has made it impossible to make it to the track yet this year.

The box of parts gave me a complete return style fuel system. The hardest part was bending the 3/8 fuel line and routing it around axles, fuel tank, etc. So I know have a 3/8 line from the tank to the carb, then to the QFT return style regulator and back to the fuel filler pipe. The fuel pump is the modified BBM pump I was using previously.

Hopefully I will get to the track and try this out soon.

A side note. Apparently it is illegal in Everett to park your car on the grass in your backyard. Code enforcement stopped by and said to move the Dart. Not a problem, but apparently it is legal to park it in a garage, a carport or a temporary tarp garage on that same grass.

Its nice to know that the cops can't show to run the drug dealers out of the house at the end of the street. the druggies that started to squat in the vacant house across the street or the numerous speeders that wheezy by my house. But having your car parked in your backyard, Right on the ball... Why to go City of Everett.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
What if you put the tarp on the grass, then parked on the tarp?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:00 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Don't take their word on the ordinance. Read it yourself. I had a code enforcement officer, tell me any "unserviceable" vehicles, had to be in a "completely enclosed permitted structure". That means you have to get a building permit to put it up, and meet code.
The ordinance does not read that way, just says "completely enclosed structure", nothing about "permitted". Also the code does not define the word structure. I asked the county attorney for a definition for the word structure, as it applies to the ordinance, and was informed to "look in Websters dictionary" (gives a lot of leeway). So a Harbor Freight portable carport meets the code.

Another town I lived in issued me a warning about parking my 1 1/2 ton car carrier, in my yard. Stating it was against zoning to park a "truck over what is normally considered 3/4 ton in a residential area of the town overnight". This was also wrong. The ordinance stated "commercial vehicle", not truck. My truck was registered as a private passenger vehicle, not as a commercial vehicle, so was legal.

My point is check it yourself. Don't take someone elses word.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:28 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I am waiting for the "official" letter on the supposed problems. They also visited the neighbor, and the last time they messed with him, the poor woman was almost fired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
My prediction is you will be getting a letter informing you you have violated Everett's junk vehicle ordinance. I hate those ordinances. People need to mind their own business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:25 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
How much do you charge for writing nasty lawyer letters?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 821 Next