Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 721 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Went racing on Sunday. It was a good day for racing...

Deb won her class by being consistent and forcing the others to breakout. They have cars that are faster then the bracket allows, so they have to pedal it to stay within bracket. They are having problems with this. The finish was all Mopar and all slant 6. The Duster against a stock '69 Valiant.

The Dart ran great. The best it has all year. I lightened up the car by removing the back seat and emptying the trunk at the track. This should have removed at least 100lbs. I also reset the float level again and readjusted the the throttle pump shot to the first hole on the arm. This gave me a best of 9.029. The best launch rpm seems to be around 2250 rpms. With this combo, the first 7 of 8 runs were great. On the eighth and final run the carburetor started acting up again. Luckily I was able to hold on and win the race and the bracket. First win this season...

Deb now has a commanding lead in bracket 1, my win should put me into second in bracket 2.

Now to sort out the carburetor problem on the Dart. I suspect that when I pull the top off, the floats will be wacked out again. Anybody else having this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Finally got around to pulling the top off the carburator and the floats were OK. So it may be heat related, don't know, more testing needed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:35 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Finally got around to pulling the top off the carburator and the floats were OK. So it may be heat related, don't know, more testing needed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Last weekend we went to Bremerton Raceway. Be careful how you enter the address into Google Maps. You just may end up at the mailing address instead of the track. Nice drive, but really, silly phone...

We only took the Dart.

How we race at Monroe has no relation to how Bremerton runs. For one think is is a true 1/4 mile track. It has "real" 1/8 mile times. The "1/8 mile" at Monroe is really 512'. So the only comparison between the two tracks is the 60' times. Which were comparable. Bremerton has a much stickier launch pad then Monroe. So some adjustments were needed. The other big difference is that you can't hot lap practice runs. So you only get two runs before the eliminations. The practice runs were wildly divergent from each other and lead to a bogus dial in. The fastest run was 17.2 on a 17.8 dial in, oh well, it was a really great run...

The car ran OK. It wouldn't run over 4600rpms, It would break up. So the above times was from short shifting.

Two things may be happening. The fuel line runs under a heater line which it barely touches. When testing for heat, I noticed that the line was HOT to the touch. When the engine cooled down the fuel line was cooler and it ran faster, by about a second, but then I also adjust the accelerator pump shot to handle a bog off the line. The second thing is that the secondary flapper may be opening to soon and the engine is going too rich. It certainly drinks the gas on the freeway.

Three races are scheduled at Monroe for next month, so we won't be back to Bremerton until October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:54 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Sounds like a challenging trip, all around. Sometimes we have these days. I have to admit, I have been pretty amazed by your "1/8th" times at Monroe, and your last post explains that well. 512 ft is a good bit shorter than 660 ft!

What do you think the car can run (on a real 1/4 or 1/8) if the fuel issue is fixed?

Thanks and all the best,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:10 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Yeah, that 148' is about 2 seconds.

The combination feels stronger then the ETs would suggest. At Monroe, when completing a run, the engine feels rich when decelerating. It seem to "load up". If I leave the line at anything over 2400rpms, the car goes sideways. So there is a traction problem.

I just tackle the problems one at a time. Sooner or later they go away. If everything was running right, I feel that mid to low 16's are possible. There is not that much differences between my combination and Ceej's and Fopar's and they are running mid 15's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:03 pm 

Car Model:
Sounds good. Yep, making progress w/ETs is a matter of incremental improvement with sweat and time, after you have a car put together.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:46 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Yeah, that's the fun part. These little six bangers can throw a few curve balls at you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:53 am 

Car Model:
Maybe what you mean is that any car/engine that needs true custom work (no off-shelf parts tested by 1000 guys) will throw a few curveballs. Yes, this is one reason I work on these cars. I have no interest in competing with Summit Racing and a million parts suppliers.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:58 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Raced on Labor Day. It was hot and the dart was fussy.

Deb was consitent and won her bracket. She has only lost once this season and is 35 polnts ahead of second place. The duster is slowing down to around 10.3 second runs. I think the rebuild is starting show signs of the wear and tear. Deb wants to go faster next year. We'll see, there is that Buick drawthru setup in the shed.

As mentioned the dart was fussy. One of my competitors was running a 280z last year with a Clifford manifold and Holley carb. He claims that turning the carb sideways i.e. the throttle shafts parallel to the engine he picked up et. The consensous here is that the orientation dosen't matter. Anyway, I tried to insulate the fuel line with duck tape and a shop rag with mixed results. The car went a best of 9.17 in a losing round to a '58 Chevy Brookside.

Racing again next sunday. Maybe it will be cooler...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Sunday was another day of racing.

Deb came in third. She was outran by the guy in the Valiant. She did have a best run of 10.02 for the day.

On the Dart, I reran the fuel line from the regulator to the carburator and then wrapped it with some insulating tape. The jury is out on wither this "worked". I also tighten the secondary flabber spring two full turns. This made a diference in that the engine didn't like it. So i backed it off one full turn and the engined responded favorably. In the finals the car was running a string of 9.17's until I had to rerun a round due to a technicality. This broke the flow and allowed the eventual winner to prepare. He was able to hole shoot me and I didn't have enough umph to reel him in, even thou it was real close.

Deb is in first place by 40 points, with two races to go. I am out of first by 13 points and I could pull it off with the remaining races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
kesteb wrote:
Last Friday was another race day.

Deb had the Duster running between 10.0 and 10.1 which was good enough to outrun everybody in her class. This is her second first place in a row. If this keeps happening there will be no living with her...

No living with me? Dude!!! Who taught you how to leave the tree quicker and get better response times?? ;)

I rest my case!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
See what I mean...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The 12th was the final race and the finale. I would have posted earlier but had a computer crash. The laptop is now running Debian/Xfce instead of Windows 7. Still trying to recover stuff.

Deb finished 1st in her bracket. She finished 46 points ahead of 2nd place. Her last race was amazingly consistent. There was only a 10th difference between the fastest and slowest times. Her fastest was 10.029 on a 10 second bracket.

I finished 2nd, just 7 points out of first place. That one rained out race just might have made a difference. The Dart ran good. It could hit red line with ease. The fastest time was 9.123.

Now for some down time to fix the perceived problems. Deb wants to jump a bracket so we are considering some forced induction for the Duster. The Dart needs some traction. So some new rear springs and maybe some Drag radials or slicks are in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Congratulations to both of you! :D

Figured Deb would start getting the bug to go faster! Hopefully she can stay consistent while she does it. The faster one goes, the harder that gets. But you knew that already! :lol:

As a good friend tells me, "Faster is Funner!" He's right!

CJ

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 721 Next