Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:35 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Hey Doc,
Congrats on getting into the the 12's. I like the NGK plugs also, have not melted any of them. How do you like the way the car launches on the juice? Feels like a lot bigger motor, does't it? The NOS adds a lot of low end torque. My 3200lb Cuda is getting 1.79-1.84 60 foot times.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:30 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
That's awesome, Doug! That's faster than you've run with a 225, right? I really wish I could make the LV race, but it is not to be.

BTW, you might mention to Bob Stepp that I'm getting more serious about a dedicated Slant road race car. Got lines on two decent Valiant bodies so far...

Have fun,

Lou

Post subject: Best Times so far...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:45 am 
Guru

Car Model:
Yes, 12.79 is the best SL6 time for me so far, any engine size.

Charlie is right about the way the car launches on NOS, I was getting a good amount of tire shake with the TA Drag Radials, running 16 psi, reminded me of the launch "feel" the car had with a big block in it!

I think I can get the traction working better when I put the drag slicks on the car, the slicks a taller so again, time to drop the rear gear ratio.

We will see if the Las Vegas "air" works against the car. (2010 feet)
DD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:42 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
Lou,
Great job on the road racing, good to hear that you continue to get the car working better and better.
I bet you got the attention of some fellow racers with the 64 Dart's grillwork smiling in their rearview mirror! :twisted:
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:02 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Doug,

Yep, I think I got everyone's attention. I was one of only 3-5 American cars there, except for about 5 vettes, and I had the oldest car by 10 years. They didn't see my grille for long before they saw two round taillights!

I think a little stiffening here and there, a faster ratio steering box, and 20-40 more HP are next on the docket. :D

Lou

Post subject: Hey 225Dart...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:12 pm 
Guru

Car Model: Many Darts and a Dacuda
20+ second ETs for a bone stock - no work done Slant is about right.
With a little tuning you will be in the teens for sure! (and where does it end :roll: )
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:41 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
yea, after visiting the sight and looking around, i figured it do that. it was kinda odd going that slow down the track though--im used to 8 seconds quicker in the other car. im not making it a drag car though as i already have one but the strip is close and i do love to go and race. i'll throw some plugs in it and fiddle with the timing and see what happens next week.

--chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:52 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
well, just posted new times for the car--picked up almost a second from last time---i wonder how long it will take me to get into the 18's with a bone stock one barrel carbed slant six in a bone stock 74 swinger, hmmmm----what else can i mess with.

-chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:42 am 
Guru

Car Model:
225dart wrote:
I wonder how long it will take me to get into the 18's with a bone stock one barrel carbed slant six in a bone stock 74 swinger, hmmmm----what else can i mess with.

-chad

Open-up the exhaust, shovel all the extra weight out of the car like the spare tire, jack, back seat, etc. that will help.

Next, adjust the valves and go a little tight on the intakes. (.008 Int. .020 Ex.) After that, put some "super" fuel in it and work with the distributor curve, shoot for 10-12 degrees initial with 30 to 32 total, it will ET and MPH better if you don't let it over advance at high RPMs.
Do you know what size jet is in the carb?
Do you have some real short tires for the back?
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:53 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
doc, thanks for the valve lash tip, i was wondering were i could modify the settings from stock. the exhaust at the moment will have to wait and i know its a big part of the restriction. i just cant get to it at the moment as its my only driving old car toy left. i already have a big block project scarttered all over the garage, which is why i bought this car---so i could drive it. i did get a header for it as well as a two barrel setup, but that will have to wait till spring time. i took out all the easy weight too, but like i said, i already have one race car, i dont need another. timing is set to what you said already, but i do not know what kind of springs are in it. i did take off the vacum advance line so it had a true 32 deg in it instead of the 50 it had with it hooked up. the jet size now is a 72 (had a 61 in it) and yes they are pretty short tires, 225/50r15 which is 24" tall. im pretty sure it has 2.76 gears in the 7 1/4 rear, i just really havent had the time to check between all my friends and my other projects. any other pretty quick mods i can make that you can suggest? i have to do the valves real soon as they clatter pretty good---even for a solid cam.

--chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:29 pm 
Guru

Car Model:
Weld-in an exhaust "dump-out" cap as close to the manifold as you can or use some longer bolts where the header pipe meets the manifold so you can loosen the pipe and drop it down some. Basically make a big exhaust leak at the manifold when you are at the track.

The valve adjustment will help a lot.
You can also remove the fan belt to pick-up 3 to 4 tenths but that gets dicey if the staging lines are long.
Cool air into the carb. can also help, got some dryer hose and duct tape??
DD

Post subject: I like your style!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:36 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model: More cars than sense...
Hey Doc,
This is some truly grassroots, shade tree kind of tech advice. I love it! Since I haven't installed the headers and FOUR barrel intake yet, I may try the exhaust leak idea at Clay City :D

later,
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:28 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
but damn, its gotta be loud that way. i might try it but i usually like to run em the way they come from the street--i do with my other car. luckly there are no noise restrictions at our track, yet. damn, i just remembered , when i go during the week, it has to be muffled. open headers on weekend only. and i cant usually make it then. oh well, i will find something else. i like this stocker type stuff--taking it to the extreme with basic tuneup stuff and such.

--chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:54 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Go to a muffler shop. have them put a flange on one end of a short piece of exhaust pipe, and swedge the other end. Get two pieces like this. Then cut a section out of the exhaust pipe on the car, and install the flanged pieces, with muffler clamps. When you want to run open exhaust, just unbolt the flanges, offset the two pipes, and reinstall one bolt, to hold the pipes in place.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:26 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2452160829&category=6783

It looks like alot of work, and may be to difficult to ship, but the price might be right?? :wink: