Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:03 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
I don't see how you could still have 2:1 if either sprocket was a "smidge bigger"
I have an OLD factory double roller BB Mopar timing set and I recently got an NOS slant 6 cam gear identical to the ones that CharrlieS listed on here for sale a few weeks ago, and while I haven't held them up to each other to compare them yet, I had each of them in my hands within a couple of days of each other and it seems like the slant can gear has a deeper"dish" to it than the BB cam gear.
I know that there was a single bolt and a 3 bolt BB cam gear, mine is a single bolt version

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:09 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Can you make the slides from a Magnum fit?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:19 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
I don't see how you could still have 2:1 if either sprocket was a "smidge bigger"

As long as the teeth are still 38/19 (2:1) the chain doesn't know if the gear is .002-.005 bigger diameter. We are talking very small differences.

I don't know Dennis. I was thinking if I knew what kind of material to use I could get a solid block of material and cut it down to what I need. Countersink the bolts & fasten to the timing cover. But I need to know what I can use. Still looking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:35 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Rick, Cloyes makes OE replacement timing chain tensioners. Some are spring loaded others are hydraulic. Cloyes should have an online catalog with photos, I am thinking you could adapt one to fit.
If Cloyes does not have photos, it would be a bit more cumbersome, but RockAuto has decent part photos, you could page through their online catalogue and maybe find something that would work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:41 am 

I see Cloyes has a catalog, but not one you can download and look through. It appears to me that you can only do a specific model search.

Again, If I just knew what material, or hardness of plastic....etc to use, I'm sure I can make something to work. I just don't want to use the wrong materials and cause more problems.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:12 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Rick, that info regarding material selection and hardness is likely proprietary to the industry and may be a rabbit hole you may never find your way out of. The better and quicker solution would be to find an already existing tensioner and modify/adapt it to work. I have seen many types used by all sorts of engine brands and some material is plastic and some is a hard rubber. Some of the more exotic engine brands use the hard rubber tensioners, while the typical Jap brands seem to use plastic tensioners. Both work well, but the key is to find one that fits within the timing cover. I looked at this briefly when I was designing my 2 pc timing cover, but that was really as far as that went.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:32 am 

I was looking at this :

https://www.mcmaster.com/plastics/high- ... yethylene/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:00 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
I was thinking of Delrin myself if I were going to tackle a prototype, but you would definitely be a guinea pig for this. The product you selected might be something to try as well. Just check it frequently to ensure its not wearing prematurely and giving the desired results.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Just make sure you DON'T put it on the tension side..........

:shock:

8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:29 pm 

Top side Tension, bottom side slack? Correct?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:17 pm 

I ordered a 6" X 6" X 1" thick block of the UHMW polyethylene from Mcmaster Carr. According to the following it should be fine for what I'm trying to do.

Redco™ Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) has extremely low moisture absorption, a very low coefficient of friction, is self lubricating and is highly resistant to abrasion (10 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel). Redco™ UHMW has the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made and is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals, with an exception of oxidizing acids.

Redco™ UHMW plastic is known for its durability, machinability, versatility and cost-effectiveness. Virgin UHMW is FDA compliant and is used in applications where high levels of friction are likely to arise including chain channel, wear strips, belt scrapers, guides, and rollers. Redco™ UHMW can be machined into virtually anything from small bearings to large sprockets and liner systems. Due to an extremely low coefficient of friction, its inherent lubricity minimizes friction resulting in a smooth, noiseless operation.

Outperforming and more cost effective than metal in many applications. Redco™ UHMW is highly durable and available in a wide variety of formulations and grades.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Cool Stuff Rick, I had thought about putting a SB/ 3.9 V6 tensioner in the slant but I am not sure there is enough room.. What you come up with might just be better.

Add a Tensioner here, and Try to get water pumps to not blow up after 2 hours of run time!

whaddya come up with next?

If you can get that tensioner block to work I might just hafta copy it!

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Does someone have a nice picture of the front of the engine with the timing chain so we can visualize how to install a tensioner?

8)

8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:18 am 

Quote:
If you can get that tensioner block to work I might just hafta copy it!

If it works :D

I can get a picture no problem. But there isn't much room in the stock timing cover for anything. I might end up with just a curved block to keep the slack out. It may not actually keep "tension" on the chain all the time. I will look at it more this evening.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:57 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet
The 3.9L V6 "Magnum" engine uses a tensioner. Interestingly the 5.2 V8 does not even though the front end of the engine is identical. I put a 3.9 tensioner in my 5.2 and it worked fine. I don't remember how it attached but perhaps it could be adapted to a slant.

'06 Jeep Liberty

Growing older is unavoidable but growing up is strictly optional.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 Next