Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:46 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
Helium in the tires and trunk

(or Hydrogen for just that much less)

:mrgreen:

8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:36 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Man, that is light... You might think about raising the front left (put more tension on coilover spring) to get more weight on the right rear. This may help some with launch and going straight.

Lou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:35 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1965 Plymouth Belvedere I
If I am reading this right.....
driver side is nearly 50/50 weight bias, but on the passenger side the front weighs about 200 pounds more than the rear. Is this 'usual' on a slant powered vehicle?

oh, and - Dang that car is light.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:14 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The right side has the electronics etc. on the front floor, also evac pump, can etc. That might be why the rf is heavy.

I second what Lou says about spring preload

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:56 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1963 Dart 270, 1980 D150
I am certainly not an experienced drag racer nor do I have a car nearly that fast but it seems to me it does need more weight on the right rear. That split on the back looks like an oval track set up. I would try to adjust coil overs and lowering blocks to put more weight on the RR and and LF. If the car has lowering blocks I would take some block out of that right rear while cranking on the left front coil over.
No charge unless you take my advice and it works, then it's $0.02. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:43 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 72' Dart Swinger / 62' Valiant
I guess there are a couple of things to note. #1 i weighed the car in my parking lot. It is mostly flat but not perfect. I didn’t have room to get it in the garage to weigh it. So that could throw it off slightly. The 2nd problem I had was getting the car to sit flat on the scales after I jacked the car up. I bounced it up and down but it probably wasn’t ideal. Next time I weigh it I will do it at dads garage and jack it up by the a arms in the front so i don’t completely unload the suspension. I was just trying to get the actual weight to send the record in to Seymour. I also have the slicks way over inflated (because they leak down) and I’d say the car is about 1 1/2” higher in the back than normal. All of those things make the weights distribution not very accurate, so I will try to do a more accurate weighing in the near future.

I was definitely surprised by the difference between the right front and right rear. Greg is right though, all the electronics, vac pump, external oil pump is on that side. The engine is also leaning...slanted even to that side for some unknown reason. :lol:

I did raise the front shocks 1” with spacers for this season and to do that I had to take the springs off and re adjust everything. I just “eyeballed” it and never weighed the car after that, so apparently I’m pretty far off with that. Definitely will work on that during the off season. I can play with the coil overs, and the caltracs too and add or take away pre load.

Do you typically try to get the car 50/50 left and right, or do you bias the weight to the driver side slightly because the weight transfers to the passenger side on take off?

Sounds like I’m filling the tires and trunk with hydrogen next year..... what could ever go wrong with that? :lol:

I’m definitely going to need these things straightened out for next year if I’m trying to run radials. I’m sure they wont be as forgiving as the bias ply slicks have been.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:12 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Here are some current pictures of the car as it currently sits.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:38 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Picture 1 - Front end up , back end down, massive wrinkles in the tires, 11.000 Run! How much could be wrong!! :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:56 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Take your scales to m-d dragway. They have a nice 4 corner drive on fixture on the return road. No jacking or bouncing needed.

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 pm 
EFI Slant 6

I never knew they had that. That would be the ideal way to check weight, to just drive right on like that.

“How much could be wrong”

I don’t think there are major things, but hopefully a few minor things can be corrected. I was really happy with the way it would 60’ after I started doing smaller burnouts. Looking for some minor things to make some small gains.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:32 am 
Turbo EFI

Another thing to consider, and I am sure you know this, front to rear bias and left to right bias can not be changed with suspension adjustments, only by physically moving weight.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:01 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
front to rear bias and left to right bias can not be changed with suspension adjustments, only by physically moving weight.

Maybe some further explanation for a dummy?? It sure seems in my mind that changing the RF or LF would change the opposite side in the rear??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:41 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Heres where the scale fixture is..

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:23 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
You can't change front to rear weight bias except by actually moving weight around but you can change the relation between left and right sides with suspension adjustments. If you want more of the weight on the right rear tighten up the coil over (or the torsion bars if you have them) on the left front and so on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 pm 
Turbo EFI

Rick Covalt wrote:
Quote:
front to rear bias and left to right bias can not be changed with suspension adjustments, only by physically moving weight.

Maybe some further explanation for a dummy?? It sure seems in my mind that changing the RF or LF would change the opposite side in the rear??

Bingo, it changes the OPPOSITE side! You can't change total left or right side weight by jacking on the corners, only diagonal weight. If you crank on the LF to put more weight in it you will also put more on the RR, while taking weight off the RF and LR. The total side to side and front to rear bias will remain the same. That is why circle track cars are built with more left side weight built into the structure, you can't just jack it over there. We weighed our dirt cars on 4 grain scales back when I was racing in the late 80s-early 90s. Electronic scales were HIGH tech and just coming on the scene 'round here.
By the way. I don't ask dummies questions and I have queried you more than a few times. :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next