Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Sending Unit
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:12 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I need to buy a new sending unit for my car, since the gas gauge doesnt work anymore and everything else checks out, im assuming its bad. Any ideas on where to pick one and all the stuff for it up? Also what size is needed, vans auto has 5/16" 3/8" ($50) and 1/2" ($100) sizes. I kinda hesitate to get a new one from an auto parts store...

Post subject: Spectra unit...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:02 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
You're probably getting a Spectra unit, your car uses the 5/16" line version, you won't need the 3/8" or better version.

You will have to calibrate (bend the arm) to get the thing to read right.

FYI,

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:18 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
So by saying everything else checks out right, that means you grounded the lead that connects to the sending unit and your gauge didn't budge? Also check and make sure the float on the unit isn't full of gas. Might save you some $$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
From Van's Auto you are probably not getting a Spectra unit, but rather a stainless steel unit made by Jesse Lai in China. Probably acceptable quality, and they're the only ones I know of who make a '60-'62 Valiant/Lancer sender. For your '63-up car, as long as the genuine Chrysler one is still available (p/n 4051 004) I'd lean towards buying that one. But you might just need a new float, not a whole new sender. If your present sender's float has filled with fuel and sunk, you can just replace the float. Likewise, if your grounding clip (connects the sender to the fuel line, electrically) has gone missing, you can replace just that.

Float: Ford P/N COAZ-9202-B
Strainer "sock": GM P/N 5651 705
Gasket: Chrysler P/N 6031 475
Sender grounding clip: Chrysler P/N 2258 862

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Wed May 09, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:47 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks guys. The grounding clip is still there, and the fuel gauge (wether after market or stock) reads just a touch below 1/4 tank, no matter if its full, or dead empty. Im assuming that maybe the float froze in position in the tank. It worked until I started driving the car over a year ago. Before it went, it would swing from full to empty, then back to 1/4. Finally it just stuck. When I turn the car off, it goes all the way down to empty, then when I turn the key on, it goes up to 1/4 and stays. I have no idea how much gas is in the tank, im assuming probably less than 1/4, is there any way to remove the sending unit without spilling gas everywhere?

Oh, and O'reillys carrys a spectra unit for around $75, and it includes a float and strainer. Whats the round about cost of the chrysler one and all that stuff?

'74 Duster 225 Super Six w/904

14" Cragar SS wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:01 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Carry a gallon of gas in your trunk and when you run out you know you have a gallon in your tank. By grounding your wire to the sending unit your gauge should have read "FULL", This telling you your gauge is working correctly.

65 signet
74 vw beetle convertable
79 E-250 4WD van
94 dodge dakota

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:08 pm 

Car Model:
$75's a good price.

Post subject: Extra precaution...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:27 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The spectra float is plastic...I went to the ford dealership and got a brass float for $8...now I don't worry too much. Ground your sender lead and tell us what you get...if it doesn't go all the way to full there is another problem to tackle.

You can "knock" on the tank with a scredriver handle and listen for changes in "tone" to tell you roughly where the gas level is at... if the top is Hollow and the bottom sounds different, you should be able to pull the sender as long as the hollow sound is under the tank "seam"...

If you want more adventure, you can soak the strap bolts in PB blaster...
stick a jack and board under the tank... undo the straps and slide the tank off the "neck"...(car will have to be jacked up and on stands for the clearance to be right...)...then you can dump the gas into a pan/can/lawnmower
and see if there's any other "Crud" in there to clean out.

Make sure you do not smoke or have a buddy lighting one up nearby...make sure to put a rag in the filler hole before you go
tapping the sending unit "ring" with a punch or screwdriver to remove it
(a much better choice is a brass drift/punch or wood dowel...)

Good Luck,

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:33 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks guys for all the info. I will probably take all day this saturday and pull the tank out and stuff to see all I need, first I will ground the sender lead and see what I get. Im hoping it is the sending unit, I hate electrical work... :roll: Im kinda glad my duster is no longer a daily driver. My 93 dakota has been doing good, but im hoping to trade it for a mint cond. 74 Newport with 33K original miles. Its so original, it has the polyglas tires it came with from the factory still on it :shock:

14" Cragar SS wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:57 pm 
6 Pack Dart

Car Model:
Also DO NOT have a electric corded light nearby when you do this.
There was a shop that had a BIG FIRE caused by this sort of event when the bulb broke, while the mechanic was dropping a gas tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Fopar wrote:
Also DO NOT have a electric corded light nearby when you do this.

Um, great idea! Knowing my dumb self, I would have had a light :oops: Oh I gotta remember to turn the heater off in the garage too, maybe open the door while im at it. Looks like another cold one... :roll:

14" Cragar SS wheels

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:04 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Not trying to hyjack this thread, but does Dan or anyone have the part # for the factory sending unit? ('76 A-body) The fellow down at Old Car Parts NW said he would need that number to locate the right one for me.

dusterguy225, let's race at getting this done on our cars. My deadline is no later than a week from now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:38 pm 

Car Model:
4051 004 is the p/n, still current from Chrysler ( or at least it comes up at www.chryslerpartsdirect.com ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Just for reference... For $130 from Chrysler, you get this:

Plastic float, no sock, etc. I thought it might be a reboxed Spectra, until I saw the pentastar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:21 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Ford seems to have lost their minds on fuel sender floats. One dealer near me wanted $17 another wanted $19.

I found mine at Auto Krafters, P/N 15309, for $6.95/$11 and change with shipping:

http://tinyurl.com/7cpcn6h

My old one is still rattling around in the tank behind the seat where I dropped it along with a fish net I was trying to retrieve it with. One day I'll get time to remove the tank and dump them both out.

Danny