Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:40 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
This eBay auction is for a new set of nuts and case-hardened washers that won't bend. It's said to be for Hemi-6 engines (the auction is out of Australia) but there doesn't seem to be a reason these wouldn't work on a slant. The auction seller is Hemi Performance, an Australian supplier of Mopar parts. Hemi Performance's customer service, communication and response track record is spotty-to-poor; I'll get some inquiries out with other, more reliable suppliers (e.g. Blue Star Spares) to see who else might be able to furnish these.

Post subject: Do they ever bend?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:19 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Dan I'm a little confused here . . . with the low torque specified on these pieces, my gut says they 'll never flatten. I run my torque a little higher on the Dutras because thermal expansion is only across half the length. This helps gasket sealing without the raising the thermal cracking risk between 3 & 4. However, Ive never seen washer flattening but I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks Dan, speaking for myself, I am in need of more than one set of these. A reliable source would be a plus.

Post subject: Re: Do they ever bend?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:22 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Dan I'm a little confused here . . . with the low torque specified on these pieces, my gut says they 'll never flatten. I run my torque a little higher on the Dutras because thermal expansion is only across half the length. This helps gasket sealing without the raising the thermal cracking risk between 3 & 4. However, Ive never seen washer flattening but I could be wrong.
It's not that the washers flatten, it's that they bend. Especially the earlier thin ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:04 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I don't like this statment. If he doesn't have the item, why auction it. Also his feedback isn't the greatest, and keeps the remarks hidden. Think I'll pass, on this one.

99% of items listed are in stock.
If an item isn't in stock after an auction is complete I will try my best to locate the above listed item as fast as possible.
In the unlikely event of the item not being located and therefore not being available for delivery, I will refund any amount paid and we can both move on, leave positive feedback, and keep eBaying!

I notice the "cup" washers, and nuts are not used in this "kit", these seem to be harder to find then the triangles

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170
64 Valiant 4dr 225

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:30 am 

Car Model:
Oh, complete agreement, this particular guy is uncommunicative and difficult to work with—see my initial comments on him and his company. My interest is in the parts themselves, not the parts from this guy.

As far as the cup washers: You're right, they're tough to find (both the two fore-and-aft items and the different top-centre item).

Maybe Gearhead can make some up for us in his machine shop! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:54 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 69 Dart Slant 6
Searching for some triangle washers, I was told that Chrysler still had them available under part no. 2121223. At 2 different dealers in my
area they had this part no., but instead of being the triangle washer,
it looked like the cupped washer you guys said is hard to find.
Just something for you guys to check out next time your at the dealer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:14 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I got some triangle ones from the dealer a couple of years ago. They were a bit beefier than the stock ones I replaced.

I reused the cup washers and nuts.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:01 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Dan are you seriously saying that the washers, which are 3/16" of solid steel, with a concaved shape around the bolt hole, will bend under 10 flbs of torque?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:12 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '68 V100, '68 V200, '79 Aspen, '84 D100
I think the cup washers are the same ones used on the 426 Hemi. These are available repro. Bad thing is the Hemi uses 11 of them, you have to have enough for a slant6 fleet.