Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Granny's Paperweight
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:43 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Bought a '69 Valiant V100 2-dr for $150; it has 87,053 on the odo as it sits tonight. Before I started it, I soaked the cylinder's down w/ATF, hand-cranked the motor twice, and changed the oil before daring to hit the starter. After close to 11 years of hibernation and some fresh gas, the slant coughed to life. Five minutes later, it was running smoooth.
When I drove the car away afew days later (maintenance and safety stuff done), it left a smoke screen that would have made James Bond smile. So I score all the upgrade parts I don't already have from a totalled '73 Gold Duster (ignition, charging bits, splash shields, etc.) for $20; before I leave the owner allows me to grab the head for free...
My thought is to have the head reconditioned for the Valiant, but I want to know what would be good, economical improvements to do since I'll "Be in the neighborhood," anyways. It's going to be my 'A-to-B' car until I turn it into a cop car replica, so I won't be dumping lotsa money into the car right now (body is solid, too). Any help would be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:06 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
http://somender-singh.com/content/view/7/49/

I have been keen to try these "power grooves" out on a motor. If you are going to redo a head anyway it might be worht it to give them a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:36 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Reed wrote:
http://somender-singh.com/content/view/7/49/

I have been keen to try these "power grooves" out on a motor. If you are going to redo a head anyway it might be worht it to give them a try.

Oh, noooo...

Not again...!

Please, let's talk about Slick-50 or Fram filters or blue headlight bulbs or gas line magnets or magic spark plugs or anything but these dumb "power grooves" dreamed up by someone with zero science, zero training and zero knowledge, just a bunch of handwaving, bogus "tests" and pseudoscientific babble... :roll:

Reed, I am genuinely shocked, because I know you to be way, way too intelligent and thoughtful to fall for this nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:41 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Ever since he's started wearing that tin foil hat he's been slipping. Maybe someone told him that the hat would give him secret powers of wisdom and clairvoyance. Personally I think he may have walked out into a lightning storm a got struck with that rod sticking up like that and all. :lol: just kidding Reed, just like you were kidding about that head groove, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:12 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 1964 Plymouth Valiant V200 Sedan
Quote:
... good, economical improvements ...

How about checking the ports for casting flaws, smoothing things out, maybe a little port matching, a light polish on the chambers and exhaust ports ...

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm

Go real easy on it - it's easier to take some more iron off later than to put it back on.

1964 Valiant V200, 225/Pushbutton 904
BBD, CAI, HEI, LBP, AC, AM/FM/USB, EIEIO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:19 pm 
Turbo EFI

Quote:
'69 Valiant V100 2-dr

Quote:
... turn it into a cop car replica ...

Hmmmm ... 2-door cop car Valiant?

I haven't seem many Valiant cop cars*. Did they make any on a 2-door platform?

* I've actually ridden in one (4-door) that was on duty. Not voluntarily. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:39 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Are sure that it is the valve seals that are causing the smoke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:38 pm 
Supercharged

Hey now, don't knock the hat! I have a spare head that I want to put these grooves in and run a comparison to the stock head. I have two identical heads so I will be able to do a direct comparison No engine rebuilding or midifications in between, just a straight swap from one head to the other. As soon as I get a running slant six vehicle to play with that is.....

I have registered at the site and here is the skinny-- he says keep .070 clearance between piston and head, and the depth length, and orientation of the groove depends on the requirements to have a straight shot from the plug to the squish area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
are you sure the smokescreen wasn't caused by the atf in the cylinders? how long did it smoke (or how far did you drive it?) perhaps the oil rings are stuck. i think i would drive it around a bit to see if the smoking issue clears up. maybe a small 50-100 trip both in town and interstate travel. a good shakedown run, if you will.
sounds like a really cool car though. good luck with your project!

-james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:01 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
An older neighbor lady had me get her old Buick running again after sitting for about 3 years. Says she wants to start driving again. It's a 81 with 231 V6 and only has 47K on the clock. I did a tune up, changed the oil and checked all the other fluids. Put in a new battery and turned it over until I had oil pressure and then poured some gas down the carb. The old girl fired right up, but smoked like crazy. I drove it to get some gas and then stopped at the parts store and poured in a small can of Marvel mystery oil. It stopped smoking on the way back home. I think the rings were stuck from sitting so long. Try running something with a strong solvent in it like MMO for a few miles and see if the rings don't loosen up.
Scott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:02 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
STP=Stop Those Pistons!

02 Dakota-3.9/5 speed

87 GMC C7000-8.2 Detroit Diesel/5+2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:57 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Jeb wrote:
STP=Stop Those Pistons!

actually the other night i heard from a friend stp= studebaker technical program. cool trivia.

-james

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:16 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks, guys. I'll skip the 'power grooves, blue headlight bulbs, gas line magnets, Slick 50, intake Tornadoes (what in the hell?), water vapor injection... 'et al! Oh, they never did make a 2-door Valiant cop car, but I have seen Belvedere & Satellite 2-dr sedan Trooper/ Highway Patrol rigs. It'll be for fun and most won't know any difference anyways. Also, the slant idles great w/no smoke, but as soon as the pedal gets goosed,"Wooosh;"here come 'da smoke screen :shock: ! The car was run for about an hour or so (cumulatively) before I drove it. Another concern is soft valve seats, so the '73 head should also take care of that. I figure by the suggested careful clean-up of the casting imperfections and milling the surface a touch (more suggestions in regards to how much could practically be shaved, please) , this will prove to be a great motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:20 pm 
Supercharged

For the record, I went out and looked at a loose slant head in my garage and the grooves would be worthless (assuming they worked) on a slant head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:10 am 
Turbo EFI

I like the idea of the cop-car vibe ...
HD suspension - always good.
Cop wheels and poverty caps just look cool.
Pushbars - good intimidation factor
Vinyl upholstery and rubber mats would make it a snap to clean.
The grating behind the front seats would be a problem on the two door, though ... :wink:
Think you can get away with a shotgun rack between the seats? :D

And how about making up a Plymouth Rapid Transit System - Enforcement Division badge for the doors?

Sorry, got carried away for a moment.