Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:53 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I've been looking for some engine paint to match the original color on my '60 Slant, but the "turquoise" that Chrysler used that year is different from the turquoise used in later years.
Even though most sites say that it is the same, the turqouise that was used in '60 is a metallic paint that is more blue than the blue/green of later years.

Does anybody know if this color is available anywhere? Does anyone (NAPA, maybe) custom mix engine paint?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:37 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
60 Pioneer wrote:
I've been looking for some engine paint to match the original color on my '60 Slant, but the "turquoise" that Chrysler used that year is different from the turquoise used in later years.

True.

Quote:
Even though most sites say that it is the same

Yeah, there's all kinds of blather you can find on the interweb :lol:

Quote:
the turqouise that was used in '60 is a metallic paint that is more blue than the blue/green of later years.

Well, it tends to fade off to blue, but it's actually almost a perfect 50/50 blue/green aquamarine colour, deeper than the later turquoise, and yes, it's metallic.

Quote:
Does anybody know if this color is available anywhere?

Not ready-made, no. You'll need to go to an auto body supply store (where the body shops get their paints and materials mixed). If you have an unfaded/as-new piece of paint to show them, that's best — the '60 valve covers used in Plymouths had a big "30-D Economy Six" decal on them, under which can often be found paint in relatively new condition. I can't remember for sure, but I might have a '60 valve cover with enough as-new paint to serve as a valid sample. I'll check. If so, I can run it down to the same place that made me a 100% perfect match for the metallic green on the interior of my '62 Lancer. Then I'll post the code. But you should check if you have an as-new paint sample available, too, for I might be misremembering and may not have that cover any more. Auto paint supply places have an electronic scanner that derives the paint code by "looking" at the sample.

If neither you nor I nor anyone else can come up with a good enough original sample to match, we'll have to do things the hard way. So...let's try for a sample, first!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:53 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for your reply Dan,

I do have a couple of '60 valve covers and intake manifolds that have quite a bit of the paint left on them, but, as you say, I don't have a reference as to how much they have faded. Although, the color on both intakes is as close to identical as you can get, which makes me think that the color is pretty accurate, since I doubt that two different manifold would have faded to the same shade.

Thanks for the offer to try and get a paint code for me, I really appreciate it. Let me know if you have any success.

What paint would you recommend?

Interesting side note on these intake manifolds. They both came off of '60 Slants, but they are slightly different casting. One is marked 2121875 and it has an clearance hole going through the casting for the center/inboard bolt to the exhaust manifold. The other intake is marked 2121875-A6, and it doesn't have the center/inboard hole, just a "V" shaped slot with a raised "V" shaped boss cast into the top of the manifold.

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 pm 

Car Model:
60 Pioneer wrote:
I do have a couple of '60 valve covers

Show me some pics and I'll comment on the paint condition, if you like.

Quote:
Interesting side note on these intake manifolds. They both came off of '60 Slants, but they are slightly different casting. One is marked 2121875 and it has an clearance hole going through the casting for the center/inboard bolt to the exhaust manifold. The other intake is marked 2121875-A6, and it doesn't have the center/inboard hole, just a "V" shaped slot with a raised "V" shaped boss cast into the top of the manifold.

There were no fewer than nine different foundries supplying aluminum intake manifolds for the 1960 slant-6s. Some used a semipermanent-mould casting process, and some used sandcasting. There are detail differences (such as the ones you mention) and casting number differences amongst all these different manifolds. For 1961, an iron intake was substituted, made in-house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:24 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan,

I took some pics, but don't have a way to upload them to the forum. Is there an e-mail that I can send them to?

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:00 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
60 Pioneer wrote:
Dan,

I took some pics, but don't have a way to upload them to the forum. Is there an e-mail that I can send them to?

You need a site to host the pictures, then you link to the pictures so others can display them using the Img command when posting.

I use geocities.com, there are others (someone please pipe up)

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:35 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I use www.photobucket.com it is easy to use

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:24 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for the input on the free websites. I'm working on one right now.

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:54 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
You could do like I do and open a picasa account through google. See the link in my sig.

AKA Ice Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:49 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan,
Well...here are the pics of the manifolds that show the paint. I will say that, at least on my ancient monitor, the color in these pics looks more green that what it really is. Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:09 pm 

Car Model:
That's pretty close to undeteriorated paint. Certainly closer than I've seen on a '60 manifold. IIRC, the colour should be a little deeper than is shown here, but not too much. This what you're showing here would be an acceptable starting point if nothing else can be found, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:43 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for your input Dan. I'll try and match up to these.

What would you (or anyone) recommend for a type or make of paint?

Earlier today, I called a few places that supply/mix paint for body shops. They all could do custom matching...but not with engine (hi-temp) paint.

Now, I talked at length to the head paint guy at one of places that has a good reputation, and he seemed to be a straight talker...not the BS type. He said that he has used body paint with certain additives on motors for show cars. He was willing to contact these customers and let me talk to then about how well the paint has held up. Of course, he said that any direct contact with the exhaust would cause problems.
I'm a little wary of using body paint on a block, but this guy said that the additives would provide durability and chemical/solvent resistance.

Am I right to be skeptical of this?

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:14 pm 

Car Model:
It's a good question you ask. I'm curious: What sort of additives has he got in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:36 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I don't know the specifics on the additive(s). He did say that a hardener would be added for durability. He also mentioned the mix would be resistant to chemical & solvents (gas, antifreeze, etc.). He also mentioned using a primer.

He realizes that operating temp is the big issue, and stated that most paint manufacturers say that their paint will take 250'...but that he has seen it handle a fair amount more than that. The manufacturer has to play CYA, too.

What would be the surface temp of a fully warmed up Slant? I imagine the paint on the head and the intake would take the biggest hit.

I can call him again tomorrow and get more info.

'60 Dodge Dart Pioneer

Vivian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:14 pm 

Car Model:
What's your timeframe on this? Do you have time to slow down a little? I am chasing a couple of leads to see if a factory paint code can be hunted up, and a couple of leads on custom-mixed engine enamel (i.e., made for the purpose).