Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 10:54 pm 
I have around 1,500 to spend on my slant that is in my 1965 barracuda it is bone stock right now what mods would you all suggest that i could to to increase performance, and reliability for 1,500?

Starbravo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: what to expect
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:15 am 
Brent, if the motor in your car is the original, I would rebuild it that way. If you want to increase performance, there are two thing's you can do without messing with the motor itself, they are:Intake & Exhaust; The two most common approaches are putting on a "super six" induction system, and, expanding the exhaust system with a header setup from "I can't think of the name of the company!, but they make a header system for slant six's; Or, using a "Dutra" setup, which my car has, and, it has worked fine. Anyway, taking this approach will significantly increase performance while maintaining the integrity of your motor. Gene

h.ahart@worldnet.att.net

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 1:12 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: i have around 1,500 to spend on my slant that
: is in my 1965 barracuda it is bone stock
: right now what mods would u all suggest that
: i could to to increase performance, and
: reliability for 1,500?

This may sound funny but for me, anti sway bars along with good shocks & tires are the first things I like to do to a SL6 A-Body, make it handle so you don't have to slow down for the corners!
DD

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:12 am 
(User Above) wrote:
: This may sound funny but for me, anti sway bars
: along with good shocks & tires are the first
: things I like to do to a SL6 A-Body, make it
: handle so you don't have to slow down for the corners!

Hmmmmm, Doug's got a very valid point.....power is NOTHING, without control. If you can't tell it when to go, where to go, and when to stop, 5000hp isn't very useful to anyone.

Roger

GTS225@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:10 pm 
where would be the best place to get sway bars as my cuda is not an ss i don't think it even has brakets for them. I have some shocks coming right now and have thought about Magnumforce's coil over conversion has anyone used or heard about these? I am soon to be converting to discs as soon as i get the rotors calipers, and master cylinder cleaned up. I was just wondering how much modifiying the six on its own would be to get an idea of when to take the hammer to my piggy bank.

Starbravo@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:54 am 
(User Above) wrote:
: where would be the best place to get sway bars
: as my cuda is not an ss i don't think it
: even has brakets for them.

That's no problem, as Addco and other aftermarket sway bars don't mount in the stock location anyway. The Addco front bar I have attaches to holes I drilled in the K-member and to brackets that bolt onto the shock mounts. Sway bars are probably the most worthwhile suspension upgrade you can put on an A-body. The bars are availible from J.C. Whitney, Morgan Performance, Summit, and others.
:
: I have some shocks coming right now and have
: thought about Magnumforce's coil over
: conversion has anyone used or heard about
: these?

I'm not sure coilovers are worthwhile. You can already adjust the ride height anyway, and I don't think this kit does anything to change the suspension geometry. If you must get expensive parts, the Magnum Force tubular upper control arms are probably a better buy - or perhaps a set of fully adjustable Konis.

Post subject: Re: what to expect
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:14 pm 
(User Above) wrote:
: Brent, the name of the compnay that makes the header setup I couldn't remember the other day is "Clifford".
:

h.ahart@worldnet.att.net