Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:30 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
I mentioned some time back in this post that I was having a custom aluminum radiator made by this guy for my '62. (his email was rpettey4@comcast.net at the time I had this rad made, and might still be). It's here, and I'm totally blown away; the craftsmanship is A-number-1. Brackets are accurately and beautifully cut and formed, seams and welds are artful and precise. It weighs almost nothing (see photo for "two finger" liftability). The '60-'62 A-bodies have very limited space at the front of the engine bay, so it's very tough to devise a heavy-duty radiator that'll fit and leave room for the fan.

The core of this new rad has a single row of 1" tubes and high fin density. This should give better heat rejection and lower flow resistance compared to the stock radiator (2 rows of 1/2" tubes, low fin density) and the existing recored radiator (3 rows of 3/8" tubes, high fin density): with a conventional radiator, you have multiple dissimilar-material junctions: Coolant to brass tube, brass tube to solder, solder to copper fins, copper fins to paint, paint to air. With the aluminum rad, the junction count is cut significantly: Coolant to aluminum, aluminum to air. I like that this rad is a direct bolt-in and has the factory downflow design so I have similar-to-stock appearance (there's an aluminum theme going on under the hood of this car ) and I needn't rework bracketry and hoses to accommodate a universal crossflow "racing" radiator. It even has a trans fluid cooler.

OK, here are the pics. Click any of them to view a larger version in a new window:

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sat May 27, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:13 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: Fiat 500e
Very nice. Dare I ask what such a radiator costs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:24 am 

Car Model:
'bout $400.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:05 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '68 V100, '68 V200, '79 Aspen, '84 D100
I like it. I give it a 6 out of 6 star approval!
I have resisted aluminum rads because of the non OEM appearance of the crossflow design.
A coat of semi-gloss black would help with a stealth look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:16 pm 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
Did they have a pattern, or did you have to furnish a stock unit to copy?

Has anyone seen a cooling efficiency study between the stock and the aluminum radiator?

Since I added AC to my '64 Valiant, it tends to get warm while waiting at a stop light, just when I most need the AC. With no room for a bigger fan or an electric version, I'm convinced an aluminum radiator is the way to go, if there is a big difference in performance.

Post subject: Are you...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:46 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
With no room for a bigger fan

Are you running a 4 blade stock fan, or one of the optional 7 blade fans found on A/C equipped cars?

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:28 pm 

Car Model:
64 Convert wrote:

I sent him the radiator I've just posted up in the "Parts For Sale" section.

Quote:
Has anyone seen a cooling efficiency study between the stock and the aluminum radiator?

I've seen graphs and tables in various SAE papers and such over the years, and they tend to confirm what I was talking about above. But of course the proof will be in the running.

Quote:
Since I added AC to my '64 Valiant, it tends to get warm while waiting at a stop light, just when I most need the AC. With no room for a bigger fan or an electric version, I'm convinced an aluminum radiator is the way to go, if there is a big difference in performance.

DI's got a very good question about what kind of fan you're running. Remember the Mopar A/C setup included a larger-capacity radiator and a fan shroud, as well as a fan with more blades (6 or 7 depending on year). You've got a lot more room at the front of a '64 than I have at the front of my '62, too.

Also remember that recommended practise was (and is) to put the car in Neutral if you're stopped for any extended time with the A/C on, and increase the idle speed slightly with your foot. Increased cooling capacity (fan and/or rad) can help reduce or eliminate the need to do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:50 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
64 Convert wrote:

I sent him the radiator I've just posted up in the "Parts For Sale" section.

I wonder if they can duplicate the roundtop tank design? If so, that would be much more stock appearing for the earlier cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:36 pm 

Car Model:
65 Dartman wrote:
I wonder if they can duplicate the roundtop tank design?

Nope...this falls under the "try not to let small miracles make you wish for big miracles" category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:58 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Very nice. Looks spiffy.

Unrelated to the radiator though, I gotta ask: are you rockin' a fro or is there just something on the wall behind your head?

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:17 pm 

Car Model:
Look closer — that's not me in the pic, it's Svensk Slanter. Remember, my beard's longer.

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:24 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I gotta ask: are you rockin' a fro or is there just something on the wall behind your head?

*grin* Howdy Slanters!

Not quite a 'fro, my wife lovingly refers to this effect as "yid" hair, which dependably occurs when it's time for me to get a haircut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:10 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
SlantSixDan wrote:
Look closer — that's not me in the pic, it's Svensk Slanter. Remember, my beard's longer.

LOL, I stand corrected...

Know how they always build a better idiot? That's me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:02 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Wow ! thats a nice piece ! how long did it take to have yours made ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:37 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Nice looking piece. it seems the aluminum radiators are the hot setup. Chevelle guys can't wait to spend their money on a new aluminum radiator and electric fan.

How do these aluminum pieces hold up to vibration longer-term? I remember my AJS back in the 60s had Al fenders, and wasn't long before cracks appeared at the screw holes.