Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:28 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Hi all!

I've seen a lot of post on Slant Six head, asking for different casting, aluminum head with bigger ports, special combustion chamber and so on, so I decide to pick this up and show you our "Slant Six A.C.T.C. Race Head" from a friend of mine, hope you like it!!!

First a little bit of history on the head. The "ACTC" ("Asociación de Correderes de Turismo Carretera" something like "Road Racer Association) is an organization that regulates several race programs, including "Turismo Carretera" were only inline Six cylinder engines run the competition, this being the oldest race asociation in my Country starting 71 year ago and of course our main event. Those engines were the Slant Six 225, Ford 188/221, Chevrolet 198/ 250 and IKA Torino 188/230. During the year they run on 4 litre basis and during the mid '80s they put the cubics donw to 3,3 litre. At this time this head was develop and specially casted to the ACTC, and they sold this only to the homologated racer of "Turismo Carretera" through their partsprogram. The 3,3 Litre Slant Six Race Engine used this head with a "906" Casting Block with a 91/92mm bore (BIG!!!), using a 170cu crankshaft, dry sump oiling system and 1 Dyno Weber carb. This engines will hold pretty well up to 8700 RPM running on Close circuits most of the time, shifting gears in the 5500/8500 rpm range. Pretty impressive!!!

Ok so here is a quick look at the head

As you can see this are extensivelly modified heads, since they were ONLY available to the Dodge Racers and for race only, all this heads had been, fully ported, polished and modified in the Oiling feed, wather inlet-oulet, shaft stands, combustion chamber ... ok, you get the idea. Now lets take a closer look.

Combustion chamber: This head were casted with this heart shaped combustion chamber, i mean that they were not welded and them machined again, thats a complete different thing. You will notice that the valves seat are way up on the chamber and later you will see that the shaft mount are also moved up, that allows the racer to use very aggresive cam lifts. I try to take pictures of all the possible angles for you to check, take a look

Here you can check the size of the chamber and seats (sorry folks no Verneir Caliper in inchs ... only milimetres)

The heads were casted to use special spark plugs, I thing that this kind of sparks are used on marine applications and speedbikes

Here you can check on the valve seat and ports. Take a look at the extensive porting & polishing that this head went through, and it's the bigest thing I ever seen on a Slant Six head!!!

Here is the external oil feed to the head (they use an external oil pum with dry sump). The stock oil vein looks like it has been chanfered, maybe because the move the head position over the block? Not sure about this

The casted-in shaft stands are machined away and they add this steel+aluminum stand to move the rocker assembly up to accomodate high lift cams.

The spring seat also has been machined larger.

Check the bronze valve guides (the intakes retain the seals)

Block to head water by-pass blocked

And to finesh closer look at the top of the head, as you can see it is painted on the inside to help oil return to the oil pan. Also check that it still uses the spark plug tubes, not like your later casting.

Here is the "ACTC" stamp

So pretty long post!!! But I think is worth.
Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:43 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
Martin
Thanks for the pictures and write up. I think this should get put in the articles section so it doesnt get lost.
Frank

178" FED
82 D150
All Slant powered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:44 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Sweet! :shock: :cool:

Post subject: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:31 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Thank you for sharing and taking the time, that was very educational...

How many of these are around? I'm pretty sure someone up here is going to want to get one to play with...

-D.Idiot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:14 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
OMFG, those ports......*tears forming*..... are so beautiful, I can only imagine the hours grinding and sanding..... and grinding and sanding ..... and grinding and sanding ..... and grinding and sanding, that is an incrdible head, so how exactly do they use the external oiling in the head ?, can a normal head be modified like that, ie rocker shaft mount machined down, still leaving enough to mount a rocker shaft higher up ? but MY GOD stable to 8500rpm, hopw did they not tear themselves apart at that high of a rpm ?!!!

-Mike

Post subject: Cool
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:31 am 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
That looks sweet :D Do you have any flow numbers? It sure looks nice under the valve. That bowl is smooth and quite different from what mine looks like. Certainly no valve guide bulge to get the flow around. And how many were made? Can they be bought or are they like hens teeth. Thanks for sharing. Definitely cool.

Ok, all you Wizards of smart, when will the aluminum version be available? :lol:

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:59 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I want one,Thank you for the post.Guzzi Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:13 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
wow very cool :shock: . any info on intake or exhaust?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:13 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
yea I would love to see the flow numbers, and maybe a list of parts used to construct the head, ie valves, springs, guides etc....

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:27 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
It would be interesting to see one to see how much extra material is cast in around the ports. I am very sure you will run into water long before you can get ports that big with a standard head.

I would also be very interested in seeing cam specs and a dyno sheet to see just how much power they make at 8500. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model: '23 T-bucket
Hmmmmm.....Martin.....It wasn't clear in the above posting, but are these still being manufactured?
Might it be possible to purchase and import to North America?
About how much...(your monetary designation or ours) are/were they?
Are the above pics of a modified head, or is it "as supplied" to a racer?

I do like the idea of the multi-piece rocker shaft stands, as they could easily be shortened or lengthened depending on lift and/or rocker gear. Does this head require a taller valve cover for clearance?

The external oil feed for the head shouldn't be much of a problem, even with a wet-sump pan, but I'm not so sure about the water bypass being blocked off for a milder engine that might be intended to run on the street.
(Oh, heck....never mind about the water blockoff.....I just realized it's only a pipe plug in the original fitting location.)

Still.....very interesting what's been done. This may warrant a closer look by certain "somebodys" on this board.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:17 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Volare4life wrote:
so how exactly do they use the external oiling in the head ?, can a normal head be modified like that, ie rocker shaft mount machined down, still leaving enough to mount a rocker shaft higher up ?

You can do that, but first I think you need your valve seat to be way in the combustion chamber to move everything up along with your valves and valve train.

Volare4life wrote:
but MY GOD stable to 8500rpm, hopw did they not tear themselves apart at that high of a rpm ?!!!

Crazy ha?!! But they did!!! Remember that they use a 3,3 litre engine with a 91/92 mm bore, so the stroke was really short, with special forged rods. Those Slants runing on circuit was the BEST thing I ever heard!!!

Rick Covalt wrote:
That looks sweet :D Do you have any flow numbers? And how many were made? Can they be bought or are they like hens teeth. Thanks for sharing. Definitely cool.
Ok, all you Wizards of smart, when will the aluminum version be available? :lol: Rick

I do not haver flow number on this particular head, If I do have the change to test it in a flow bench I surelly will. Ther isn't a know flow number because it depends on who ported the head, every engine builder/racer got this head a a bare partially machined casting, so every head ended up different from each other.
I can't tell the quantity, but the ACTC started with this heads in the Early '80 up to the late '90s ... so go figure... maybe 400 or 500 heads .. just gessing

Rick Covalt wrote:
Can they be bought or are they like hens teeth. Thanks for sharing. Definitely cool.

They can be bought, but they are NOT cheap, their price range goes from USD 1800 to maybe a crazy USD 3000!!! Depending on who has done the job to it, or if its found complete or bare ...

darrt wells wrote:
wow very cool :shock: . any info on intake or exhaust?

For the intake they used, as far as I know only the 2bbl manifold with this with a Dino Webber on it. They manifold was also extenbsivelly enlarged and the Weber had all the trick on them. For the exhaust they used full race headers

Here is a 1988 race, you can see the Slant Six in action!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G3kXzaH ... re=related

And here is a more actual video of a Dodge Race car with the Cherokee 4.0 engine, not a Slant Six but you can hear how a ACTC race Engine sounds nowadays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-7Xu5P5lCE

1974 Dodge Polara RT 318cu.

1965 Valiant III Coronado Slant Six 6-Pack (soon!!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:19 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Polara1974 wrote:
with a "906" Casting Block with a 91/92mm bore (BIG!!!),

92 millimeters = 3.62204724 inches

:shock: a "906" casting, has anyone seen this casting? is it just argentina only possibly? 5 or 3 freeze plug? Maybe doc has seen one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:22 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
that jeep sounds insane I LOVE IT !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:38 pm 
Turbo EFI

Location: Cypress, Texas, Northwest Houston. The Lone Star State
Car Model:
I'd never be able to afford one, but WOW!
Those are some awesome looking heads! 8)