Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Super charging slant 6
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:59 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
hey guys,
i am just about to start a project car and i am gonna run a slant 6 in it and i want to run a super charger on it.

so my question is what mods work well with a supercharged slant????

thanxs Jake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:42 am 
Guru

Car Model:
Start with the strongest block you can find & do oil systems mods to it.
Keep the cylinder walls as thick as possible.
Use strong pistons and con rods. Keep the compression around 8 to 1
Use a "special" cam designed for the combo.
DD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:21 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
What kind of supercharger & how much boost. I ran a paxton with 5 lbs on a stock bottom end cast crank with no problems. I did run full groved mains an oil cooler and duel remote filters with a deep oil pan took it to 6 grand many times this past summer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Think Aussie Speed have something that might be able to help you...?
Not sure haven't looked to much into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I bowl blended, ported and polished as well as adding the engine builder bigger valves to my head for the turbo motor i got going in my duster. Im sure headwork would do great things for your motor.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:07 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
well i want a vain style charger with a raised manifold... probly gonna build it more for looks then any thing but want to have a solid engine under it so i now it can handle the power....

i was only thinking about 5-8 lbs boost

another thing i heard about the slants.... and i dont know if it will be suited to a charger, is something about a 225 block with 225 crank, 198 con rods and a big cam does any one now of anyone with a set up like this???? i only know a bit a bout stock 225 slants nothing about performance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:57 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Yes, it is simply using the longer 198 rods with the correct pistons to increase compression and get the benefits of the piston speeds and angles by using a longer rod. Since 198 engines weren't massively produced like the 225 these stock rods are getting very difficult to come by. So K1 stared making an H-Beam design of them with ARP hardware. The cost of redoing a set of stock 198 rods with this hardware most likely don't add up to what you can get the Wiesco/K1 Setup for unless you have a large stockpile of slant parts.

For 5-8 lbs of boost I wouldn't focus on stuff such as the fancy rods and pistons. Simply finding a good block and machining it would be my platform. Than moving onto the pistons the hypereurtics should work just fine, not sure if the 2.2L are as available, but would save some money. If needed the Wiesco or Ares would be fine as well. The key would be to avoid boring the block to large to gain minimal cubes. Finally, boosted cams are a little different than 10:1 compression beasts. The miller cycle is my go to for roots engines, but I think I would tackle the centrifugal superchargers like a turbo, so I'm sure we can brainstorm some ideas for that.

The head would be simply gasket matching which you can probably do at home and light porting. No reason to accidentally hurt flow by hogging out the ports till you hit water. Bigger valves are good, but recently I've been on board with velocities in the lower end (for this case off boost/cruise) and might just stick with stock valves with nice guides and springs.

Finally the area to focus on is fuel and timing. This is where the builder needs to be concerned with as it will make the engine shine or not. Chances are you won't be running redline 24/7 if you ok with the slant six and 8lbs of boost. So tuning the carb with the innovate, EFI, and timing retard will be your focus. Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:33 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
so what type of cam should i go... ie what lift should it have exhaust and in let...

i actually think a 198 complete bottom end came with the car when i brought it... just need to investigate... how do i tell if it is a 198 or 225 block????

what about shavin the head or do i keep it lower compression???? then do i copper head gasket and o-ring block n head.

also what about cranks and stuff do i just run a stock crank????

who makes performance ignition systems for slants????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:25 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
mate try pentastar parts in NSW talk to Ray he is pretty good but if you can get Ray junior he really knows his stuff about all Vals and upgrades

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:28 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
oops sorry i also picked up the electroinc ingnition from them today and they are on special..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:36 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Well, the wider lobe separation is the key to prevent blowing through. So actually lower end performance cams respond better to boosted engines.

No you don't want to shave the head. No, you don't want a higher compression ratio. You want to true the head and maybe land around 8/8.5:1 and no higher.

All in all you might want to do some more reading about boosted engines. They respond different than N/A to really get them to shine. That being said you can build a big 10:1 beast with a big cam very similar to v8 build principal and have more room for forgiveness. Also seeing that you're across the pond you can see what performance parts are closer to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:09 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
We have a nice and simple package for the slants. Dr. Dodge is doing a book on setting one up for boost with our setup. Should be out soon.

Torqstorm

Attachments:
Slant Six front view.jpg
Slant Six front view.jpg [ 254.14 KiB | Viewed 9523 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:55 am 
Poser

Car Model:
http://mooregoodink.com/showing-off-new ... nationals/