Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:28 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I've checked all over the interwebz as well as this site and can't seem to find a diagram or any information on the 1962 Dodge Lancer dash panel push buttons.

About 3 months ago I was going to back out of my parking spot at Fred Meyer's and the reverse button just fell right back into the panel...haven't been able to use it since.

About a week ago, neutral fell through as well. A bit panicked (my son and I were out and about getting a shaved ice), I tried other gears...I never use 1st or 2nd, but, they wouldn't budge when I tried them. Fortunately I was able to get in drive.

I have neutral bypassed, so to get her to roll back so I can push her out of my driveway when I am taking my kid to school, I just take her out of park and I'm neutral to roll. Then I put her in drive and pray it doesn't fall off. The buttons are there, they are just dropped back in the instrument panel.

Now, I know I need an allen wrench to get past the wiper knob to remove the panel itself to get access to the buttons, etc. but that's it. I have no idea what I will be looking at in there, no diagrams or info, period. I am also having button issues with the heater buttons, lost defrost the other morning, so whatever is going on has to do with something being wonky in the panel itself. I have never had transmission problems, and was told when I bought her at Wildcat that she has had a trans rebuild (was a selling point for me).

Any quick response is appreciated, my neighbor is coming to look at it with me this morning around 9 or so.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
a Factory Service Manual is what you need, but without one the push buttons are not very difficult to work with. Getting to them is the real pain.
Can you see the buttons that dropped in? or is that what is blocking 1st & 2nd? Bypassed neutral? :shock: My buttons (1964) had a felt(?) spacer around them that was worn and broken, I made a new one out of a piece of foam/rubber insulation. Buttons stopped rattling seat very firm now, and don't feel like they would drop inward. I also adjusted the cables at the trans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Danarchy wrote:
a Factory Service Manual is what you need, but without one the push buttons are not very difficult to work with. Getting to them is the real pain.
Can you see the buttons that dropped in? or is that what is blocking 1st & 2nd? Bypassed neutral? :shock: My buttons (1964) had a felt(?) spacer around them that was worn and broken, I made a new one out of a piece of foam/rubber insulation. Buttons stopped rattling seat very firm now, and don't feel like they would drop inward. I also adjusted the cables at the trans.

aaaaaah thanks, yeah my manual disappeared when i sold her. i bought her back about 5 months ago.

been after this info all day so far and what i got is, the clips may have broken...the buttons are still hanging in there, they just don't do anything, don't pop out when i go into park or drive, etc. so my housemate says those clips may be the hardest thing to find...am of course hoping wildcat has some.

erm yeah, 'someone' set up neutral bypass in the wiring a few years back. i know you don't shock easily so...where's that coming from? anything i should know? :P

i'd really like a visual on what it looks like in there before i open it up. i've heard wild ranting re: the neutral button and how difficult it is to deal with if it ever falls off, so that there is also a concern and something i would like to have as much info on as possible before the fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Bypassed the Neutral Safety Switch! :lol: now I understand. There are alot of crazy things you can do with these cable transmissions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:46 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Doesn't look like anyone else is going to chime-in on the PB Trans. question. Hope these help, my FSM is on a CD and a real PITA to post here. -Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:33 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Here are two videos of someone taking apart his '64 pushbutton assembly to change the bulb and to repair the backup lights. I don't know if this helps I just knew they existed.
-Joe

http://youtu.be/N7D2hWFjOD0
http://youtu.be/O4HB8OGxCgM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:34 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
thanks guys, very helpful! ray got in there and it was an easy fix which means it could be another easy fail...buttons are wearing down. most clips intact, so that's good, and i do have reverse again (which is amazingly good).

dan, that diagram is exactly what i needed. will hold onto that one. :)

now does anyone know where i can get a windshield wiper motor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg....? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:13 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
PM to you Merrymopar!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:54 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1962 Dodge Lancer GT Black/Red
It's a variable speed motor. I have only been able to find a lady in Fl that rebuilds them.

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:14 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
If the buttons are coming off the control rods, you can tighten them up by squeezing the tips together very gently,
like this: http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/64dar ... d.jpg.html

BC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:26 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
64ragtop wrote:
If the buttons are coming off the control rods, you can tighten them up by squeezing the tips together very gently,
like this: http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/64dar ... d.jpg.html

BC

thank you! got a reply on a-bodies only that suggested the same thing. :)

reverse fell out again but neutral is holding...will try this. sure would like a easy fix!!!! it was SO EXCITING to be able to back up....for like 2 days, lol!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:32 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1962 Dodge Lancer GT Black/Red
I didn't know how to delete this post, so I erased it.

Last edited by MotoGrey on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Making this up as I go along...... The shafts of the buttons have little bumps near the end of the slots that the hook on the tang catches.
If they are worn, you could probably rebuild them with epoxy, a small file and some patience. It's just the next step if squeezin' the tang doesn't solve the problem.

BC

Early Dart Disorder (EDD) is real, and I've got it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:34 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
i FINALLY called matt up at wildcat and he said it's 'highly probable' that what is happening is that the 52 year old plastic on the buttons are simply 'disintegrating.' made more probable by the fact that the heater buttons are also starting to go, and they get very little play compared to the transmission buttons. SO! maybe all i need are the damned buttons!!!!!

moto said when he was looking in there that it appeared as if the buttons themselves were worn. so this makes sense.

i have matt (wildcat) looking for buttons for me, hoping it won't cost an arm and a leg, can anyone recommend an alternate source if he can't find them? if all i have to do is pop in some new buttons i will be ECSTATIC.

alternately, and this is probably a bad idea, what about 'reinforcing' the existing buttons...? bubble gum and duct tape of course (joke...no bubble gum). my concern is that any deviance from factory made will potentially cause the tangs to hold differently.

thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:48 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
anyone have the part number for those? i no longer have my manual.