Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:19 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Mr Zeal wrote:
Kesteb, those are good suggestions. I have a question. Does that lower pulley put the belt in front of the alt pulley, which is the first one on my damper? You see, the issue with my blower is that the snout is barely long enough to make it to the front of the block, so either I have to use the serp pulley underneath the damper or I need to make up a jack shaft, or fabricate a manifold adapter that moves the whole blower forward. At least that is how I see it now.

Yes , it moves the belt about an inch farther out. I was mocking up a belt setup for a GM M90 install and was going to run a serpentine setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:29 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
kesteb wrote:
Mr Zeal wrote:
Kesteb, those are good suggestions. I have a question. Does that lower pulley put the belt in front of the alt pulley, which is the first one on my damper? You see, the issue with my blower is that the snout is barely long enough to make it to the front of the block, so either I have to use the serp pulley underneath the damper or I need to make up a jack shaft, or fabricate a manifold adapter that moves the whole blower forward. At least that is how I see it now.

Yes , it moves the belt about an inch farther out. I was mocking up a belt setup for a GM M90 install and was going to run a serpentine setup.

the GM m90 has about two inch longer front snout, that is why I went as close to the engine as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:51 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model:
Yes, Matt. That is why your installation intrigued me. The snout length on your Ford blower is roughly similar to the B&M 112, whereas the GM one is significantly longer. Before I found a sweet deal on the polished B&M, the plan was for a Lightning blower, since the location of the intake port was more conducive to mounting a carb in a more a conventional manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:38 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The snout may be longer, I don't know. But I was going to build my own manifold. Research seems to indicate that a roots type of blower needs a plenum roughly the same size as the engine displacement. A standard 4v manifold doesn't come close. When you build your own manifold you are not limited to where the 4v sits on the manifold, so you can sit the blower anywhere. In my case I could move the blower forward and align it with the above pulleys. For various reasons, I never finished the project.

For what it is worth, in the mid 80s the 5.0 Mustang had a 6 rib water pump pulley for a non-reverse water pump. If you had a dampener made with the 6 rib outer ring, This pulley would align. Then your belt would be in the same plane as stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:20 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I have gotten the boost sickness, each time I pump up the boost I want a little more.But the problem I had once I got to ten lbs is belt slip, too small of a top pulley and it would go through belts under hi RPM, 8 lbs is about the most a single belt would take before slipping.
I decided to make a new top pulley and idler pulley, I also moved the alternator out to the front and added an additional pulley on the bottom for that. While I was at it I made the top pulley 2.25 and now with no belt slip I get 12lbs of boost cold and 10+ when hot. what a difference it makes in performance, I upped the main jets another size and everything seems to be happy.

Took the truck to a car show and had tons of people loving the slant six, there were 950 cars at the show and this was the only slant six.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:58 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
What about a cogged belt?

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:31 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
emsvitil wrote:
What about a cogged belt?
probably be ideal, but the two belts do not slip and are easier for me to make the pulleys,a single works great for less boost, and even MPG picks up, I just like to push the power output up. I can go to a larger lower pulley for more boost , but would need to swap the balancer and at this point I think some headers and upgrade the ignition will be as far as I go with this one. it already can catch a few v8 cars off gaurd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:09 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Such a rad build. I've been driving my 68 A100 van around for a while now and want to get better MPGs and some more power, been thinking about forced induction, though I would have to do it as cheaply as possible.

I don't know much about all this, is there a particular size of blower I should look for if I were to do this?

Also, would making my own intake manifold from tube steel work just as well as one of these pre-made intake manifolds? It would be a lot cheaper for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:26 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
tdc wrote:
Such a rad build. I've been driving my 68 A100 van around for a while now and want to get better MPGs and some more power, been thinking about forced induction, though I would have to do it as cheaply as possible.

I don't know much about all this, is there a particular size of blower I should look for if I were to do this?

Also, would making my own intake manifold from tube steel work just as well as one of these pre-made intake manifolds? It would be a lot cheaper for me.

Mine is not a premade manifold, but a factory or aftermarket stock will work, just need to make adaptors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:59 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
What I meant by "premade" was factory or aftermarket. Like, one that you buy that was made to have the carb bolted onto it, rather than making your own that you don't have to make adaptors for. I'm a little tight on space in my doghouse, so I figured making my own might allow me to situate things a bit lower.

What about blower size? Or what junk yard cars should I be looking for to grab one off of?

Again, awesome build. I'm jealous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:13 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
tdc wrote:
What I meant by "premade" was factory or aftermarket. Like, one that you buy that was made to have the carb bolted onto it, rather than making your own that you don't have to make adaptors for. I'm a little tight on space in my doghouse, so I figured making my own might allow me to situate things a bit lower.

What about blower size? Or what junk yard cars should I be looking for to grab one off of?

Again, awesome build. I'm jealous.

I like the supercoupe Thunderbird Ford, they are the easiest to modify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:05 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Lowered the truck and added wider rear tires, been having a lot of fun with this little truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:44 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:01 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
going to drive this thing from Utah to Nebraska for a home town car show, should be about 1500 mile round trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:35 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
After my trip and all the driving , I had times where I would get as high as 29mpg, on the flat smooth road, and as low as 15mpg in the hills and head winds of Wyoming. only issue I had was the water pump went out in Laramie Wyoming.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next