Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: mopar accel race coil
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:38 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
anybody run the mopar race coil and have it limit rpm under load? last race weekend on Saturday the car ran its best ets when I return sunday morning her first run fell .2sec next .4sec and leveled out at .6sec that's 7.27et to 7.87et. I could do the burnout 6000rpm shift point car would 60ft high 1.5`s but as rpm reached 5000rpms down track the engine would struggle and in high gear would not pass 5000rpm just like it was on the rev limiter but no studder sound. I aliminate the rev limiter box, fuel system, mopar electronic box (gold) , I even drained all the fuel out and put fresh fuel in, only change I bypassed the resister on the coil and ran a full 12volt to the coil and the car seemed to run better. no time slip was last run of the night. any thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:35 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I use the Accel 8140C with an MSD6AL and have never had problems like you describe. It sounds like what can happen when you run solid core wires with an MSD but I don't know if that can happen with a Chrysler box. Did you change plug wires recently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:22 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
no never changed wires still have spiral core 8mm Accel .this happen the next morning, the coil was the only thing I didn`t eliminate . when I first installed this coil it came with a single resistor, when I ran with out the resistor, the motor would run for short period then shut down. I search online and this coil has a flash over dam which protects the coil by shuting it down. if I understand the link right. I will not know if it is the coil until I get to the track this weekend I have a lend of a spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:00 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I thought I had this fixed last year, changed the dist and car ran great last of season 2016, this past weekend this same problem came back. I can hit rev limiter in water box in 1st & 2nd, off the line hit 6000rpm, pull 2nd under load 5000rpm, pull 3rd 5000rpms. changed dist and next run worked great 6000rpm all gear shift, next run back to previous condition. so I have two new pickup coils coming from rock auto only thing I can see it being. anybody have this happen before? the pickup coils I have been using are old ones from used dist but I have been using for years and never had this happen until now. the gold box ecm is 15yrs old, I did swap for an orange one last year with no change, so I don`t know. maybe time to up grade to msd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I know you have a short season and can't afford to waste many runs. Charlie Schmidt had some sort of a problem with one of his cars that went on forever that he finally solved, maybe he has a suggestion. MSDs are not perfect either I have burned out three in recent years. My experience is that Chrysler distributors and boxes are pretty reliable. If you have tried more than one of each that should isolate the problem, but if you changed distributors and it ran okay for a few runs and then went back to 5,000 limit maybe it is something in the primary wiring that is acting up. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:26 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
I doubt Terry's problem is exactly the same, but maybe will give a clue.
My problem turned out to be bad connections, in the bulkhead connector. Terry, if you are still using the factory bulkhead connector, get rid of it.
If not, I would try completely rewiring the ign circuit. You might have a intermittent bad connection.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:57 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
thanks Charlie, I was looking at the connector on the dist to the harness, the female seems a little loose don`t know it losing contact on the one side of the dist would cause this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:05 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Charlie should have asked what your problem was before finding a bad connection in the bulkhead block?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:11 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
terrylittlejohn wrote:
Charlie should have asked what your problem was before finding a bad connection in the bulkhead block?

Intermittant misfire, going down the track. Would idle fine. Could do a full throttle converter stall to 4,000 rpm. Could do a 5,000 rpm burnout, no problem. Car would launch fine, then start to misfire, just past the tree. Not every run, not every day. Drove me crazy for a couple of years. Finally found it when I determined, it had to be the OEM wireing, and removed everything. As soon as I removed the bulkhead connector I saw the problem.
That was something I should have checked early on, as I am aware of the problems with the bulkhead connector.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:24 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
i am not using the bulkhead but am using the stock dist connector, the female on the harness side running to the gold box seems to be opened up. maybe where I am losing contact or having a resistance problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:39 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
another misdiagnosis, build new dist took the car to the track same thing then I noticed trans going straight into 3rd skipping 2nd. I guess at 5000rpm 1/8mile she doesn`t have enough to pull anymore rpms. adjusted the shifter cable and worked great all day. https://youtu.be/0-kb6xdul7c