Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:44 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
It's going lean for sure it will start to pop and will almost lean backfire if I stay in it past the 14's AFR. I drilled a set of jets out just to see if it will richen at all if not then you may be right with the metering block being at it's limit? Very weird considering this thing is also getting sprayed with 14gph of 100%meth lol. I can't imagine I would ever get it rich enough without the meth injection. I'll keep you posted if the jet change nets me anymore fuel on the AFR gauge.

Lou, so true I might have to step into the fuel injection world at some point lol

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:04 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
I decided several years before the turbo (planning stage) that I would not even try with a carb for a true all-around car (street, hwy, drags, whatever...). Even Megasquirt I has been great, and I am about to step up to MSIIIX.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:22 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
You know what Lou you may be on to something after I think about it I'm gonna go back to plug reading and see if less fuel will help I forgot going from 10gph to 14gph alone on the Meth could have screwed my jetting so much to cause a rich misfire and not even know it. I'm going to do some plugs tonight and try some jet change. Have you seen those FITECH injections systems it looks like a carb so it's basically throttle body injection but they are pretty well priced and apparently they offer one that can tune for boost.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:03 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Lou you are the man good thinking about the gauge reading lean from a over rich misfire! I read the plugs sure enough then jetted it way down and boom 100% better it will take a couple high gears to get it dialed in but the afr is close now!! Just goes to show ya don't get to comfortable with the afr gauge it lead me chasing my tail. It's a great tuning tool but I didn't realize a rich misfire could make the gauge show lean like that. I have a GOPRO now i'll see if I can get some stuff on video for you guys.

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:34 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Bingo! You are at least the 4th Slant Sixer I have helped with this advice since I discovered it myself while tuning the 64 Dart 10 yrs ago... You are in good company (Sam Powell, GunPilot, and can't recall who was the other).

Always good to be sceptical of any tuning tool or sensor. They all have their limits.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:39 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
thats genius. would have never thought a rich condition would lead to a lean reading. fwiw i referenced my power valve to my exhaust back pressure before the turbo and drilled into the power valve cavity. plugged the stock vacuum passage. gained .3 or so of an afr point with just that. opens every time and all the way when it does. also opened up the power valve channel restrictors so i could pull some jet out of it.