Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:02 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Is there a Rear Window Gasket for the 64 GT Hardtop Available?

I found a close match here:
http://www.classicindustries.com/produc ... a9809.html
But it says it's only 65-66 Can anyone confirm that the 65 Rear window hardtop gasket is Different that the 65?

Thanks,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:50 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I have a 1964 Dart GT also, and I have not been able to find the "correct" rubber seal(s) for it yet. The 1964 (270) doesn't have the chrome trim insert like the GT. I'll keep looking and post if I find anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:47 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Danarchy wrote:
I have a 1964 Dart GT also, and I have not been able to find the "correct" rubber seal(s) for it yet. The 1964 (270) doesn't have the chrome trim insert like the GT.

No, all '64 Darts used the hard stainless backglass surround trim, even the base Dart 170 models. And there is only one part number listed in the '64 factory parts cattledog for the backglass seal in all '64 Dart 2- and 4-door sedans and hardtops: 2484 157.

In '65 it's the same situation, one part number for all 2- and 4-door Dart sedans and hardtops, but the number is different: 2574 017.

Looks like Jim's Auto offer both. The '64 item is № WI-3217AB. Unfortunately, Jim's is on the list of places to avoid, so proceed with caution. There's been some discussion as to whether the '65-'66 weatherseal will work in a '64. That conversation establishes (and I confirm with the FPCs) that the glass and all of the trim are alike for '64, '65, and '66 Dart 2- and 4-door sedans and hardtops. The conversation trails off with the open question of whether the body sheetmetal is the same. I've just been through the '64, '65, and '66 FPCs, and here's the lay of the land:

The roof panel is the same part number for '64-'66.
The roof side rail extensions are the same p/n for '64-'65, different for '66.
The upper quarter outside inner panel P/Ns are same '64-'66.
The centre quarter outside inner panel P/Ns are different for '64, '65, and '66.
The lower quarter outside inner panel P/Ns are different for '64, '65, and '66.
The deck opening upper panel P/Ns are the same '64-'66.

Given all this, and the apparent exclusivity of the "1964" seal at Jim's (who don't make their own parts) under the same P/N as the '65-'66 gasket with a couple letters tacked on the end (and a big chunk of money added to the price), and the tendency at that time for Chrysler to assign new part numbers for reasons other than making a substantive change in the design of a part (new material, new surface treatment, new supplier, etc), I strongly suspect the weatherseal listed for '65-'66 will work fine in a '64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:12 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Thanks for the parts book sleuthing. Dan!!!!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:56 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Strange, since the (2) 1964 4-Door Dart 270's I parted out, neither had the stainless steel trim or a place for it to go??? The front windshield glass on both 270's had a plastic bead trim in place of the metal like on my GT. I kept the good windshield out of one car and the back glass out of the other, the rubber was not salvageable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:22 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Danarchy wrote:
Strange, since the (2) 1964 4-Door Dart 270's I parted out, neither had the stainless steel trim or a place for it to go?

The only '64 Darts I've ever seen without provisions for the stainless trim in the backglass weatherseal were wagons and convertibles.

I haven't looked at every '64 Dart, but I've looked at a lot of 'em.

As for the windshield (front), all '63-'66 A-bodies have a flexible plastic lockstrip (you're calling it "bead trim") in the windshield weatherseal; none of them used hard metal weatherseal locks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:00 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I think the stainless rear window trim for the back of the 64 (at least mine) Gt Hardtop attaches with trim clips screwed near the window gasket channel on the body.

Mine were long rusted away but previous owners rtv'd the entire stainless trim to the quarter panel top garnish molding which I believe swoops around the top of the back glass and down to the other side.

On my car all of this will need some replacing, as the whole window channel / pinchweld area is riddled with pinholes and rust which allow water into the cabin.

Lotta grinding / welding etc on this car this winter.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:33 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
The Classic Industries 65-66 Rear Window Gasket Fit my Original 64 Dart GT - I See no reason that this would not fit a 270 or 170 also.

The gasket fit the Window glass as well as the pinchweld opening Just perfect.
http://www.classicindustries.com/produc ... a9809.html

I Pulled it all together with butyl sealant in the window channel of the gasket and pulled it over the pichweld with the rope trick - Worked great!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:03 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Wow, fantastic info here. I must have missed this discussion by Dand others earlier. Thanks for the "proof of concept" Greg.

I need to order one of these for a spare...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:13 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Dart 270
Greg it was actually that way when I bought it also, the guy I got it from had the car painted back in the 80's and the paint/body guy rtv'ed the trim on the back glass. The pics look good glad to see it's being restored to its former glory! If I can help with anything message me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:28 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
64DartGT wrote:
Greg it was actually that way when I bought it also, the guy I got it from had the car painted back in the 80's and the paint/body guy rtv'ed the trim on the back glass. The pics look good glad to see it's being restored to its former glory! If I can help with anything message me!

Yes it's coming along.

I would rather have them rtv'd to the glass body rather then lost forever requiring me to find new ones :-)

Greg