Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:23 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I am planning a 95 360 mpfi into 68 dart install but this thread is started for a general understanding of the conversion process.

I think the 91-96 mopar ecu is incapable of alterations but for those who may want to try or have input here, the mopar v-6 is 3.9 liters and slant is 3.7 liters so this may lead somewhere.

I understand the modern instrumentation runs off the same voltage (5) as the old but also the ecu and dash can be separated at least in the 91 - 96 version so that makes the wiring just a few power and ground connections (through relays).

Has this been tried by anyone as a mpfi on the slant? Like I say, it is only a few power and grounds running through a bank of relays which would make it a stand alone system owing to the fact all the sensors are in place.

I guess the air delivery would have to be alike as far as flow but if you researched the engine build parameters, could you closely match the airflow of the v-6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:25 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
The V6 is odd fire - you will need to figure out a way to get the odd-fire behavior out of the stock ECU to use it on a slant six.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:37 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I am not familiar with the 91-96 Mopar MPFI system, but I strongly suspect that the ECU will control the timing and spark as well as the injector firing. How will you mount all the sensors on the engine? How will you adapt the ignition system to the slant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:39 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
All points taken sincerely, I guess I had a moment, and realize now that what I was getting at is the methods of reasoning in a build and then checking into this, http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/analog-efi ... uxe-series

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:43 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I know that may not be enough of a solution but I have one of those and have put it on 3 totally stock cars, they work great for getting better fuel mileage with a daily driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:43 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Spoofing an O2 signal isn't going to make an ECU from an odd fire engine behave like an even fire. You'd need some way of accessing its settings - including some that many aftermarket tuners don't normally touch, like the angle between cylinders.

'66 Dart - turbocharged 225

My blog - Mad Scientist Matt's Lair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:43 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Not sure if you are still attempting this, but I can tell you from experience (I'm doing MS3 on a 3.9 v6) it is very challenging. I've gotten very far with Matt's help, but I'm still not there all the way. Most of that is due to life experiences. Anyways, the Odd fire engine, along with Chryslers weird crank signaling on the 3.9 make it necessary to use a 36:1 wheel. Since you'd need that anyways to run the MS system, it's perhaps much easier to start off with a stand alone that you can program and control rather than a factory system that has little to no tunability or support. I'm not a paid spokemen for MS, but I do have two units that I'm playing with, as well as a FAST unit on my drag truck. Take from someone who has tried to mess with the factory 3.9 ECU's for years. They are not worth installing on anything other than a stock 3.9. If you want to get the best fuel economy or performance from a slant or any other Mopar related 6 cyl engine, get a stand alone, whatever your choice may be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:50 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I agree- with one caveat. I have been slowly planning the adaptation of a Ford MAF based SEFI/MPFI system to the slant six using mostly ford parts and an aftermarket controller that allows the user to change every single parameter of the ECU programming. Timing and fuel are both controlled by the ECU. If I weren't doing that system,I would probably go with one of the standalone self-learning systems, so long as it was MPFI. I don't want to do the halfway step of TBI.