Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:23 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I'm trying not to panic here! My 69 Barracuda has been hibernating in my garage all winter. I started the engine a few weeks ago easily enough and ran it for a few minutes. Today, I went to take the car out for the first time this year and there are no electrics. No dome light, no headlights, and no start! The battery was new last November and anyway, seems to have plenty of life. The battery charger I've just put on is reading a low trickle, not the big gush you'd expect from a discharged battery. There's no voltage between the fuse terminals under the dash and ground using a long lead connected to the battery negative terminal

This must be a pretty simple issue to resolve.

Could somebody please give a step-by-step procedure for this? Many thanks, guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:02 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Get a Volt meter and start testing / probing.

Check Battery

Positive side of the Ammeter

Positive side of the starter.

I believe the 69 will have a fusible link - Check that too!

I have had THe Primary Hot cable that feeds through the Bulkhead / firewall was sketchy it needed cleaned and replaced.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:40 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Many thanks, Greg. It's all sorted now. I checked the bulkhead connectors and the middle one (with the fusible link) was not quite pushed in. Car now goes beautifully!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
A test light would be real handy for this project.

Follow circuit 1A (#10 red wire) from battery to starter relay to fusable link and its connector in bulkhead connector labeled "Z" as shown in Electrical Wiring Diagram. "Z" connection in bulkhead connector on dash side continues as red #10 gauge conductor to Amp Meter where it joins alternator circuit continues as black 12 gauge wire to a splice (look for a wad of friction tape insulating said splice) spiting or feeding several circuits one of which is "J1" that feeds ignition switch. Some where along that path from battery to Ignition switch is a bad or burnt connection, burnt fusable link, or bad conductor.

I would place my bet on brass connection at "Z"; pull off the multi wire plug-cap with "Z" connection and look and smell for signs of burnt electrical damage. This connection is prone to corrosion causing high resistance; resistance = heat.

The second problem area is where red & black wires attach to Amp Gauge. This connection can over time loosen causing arching and heat damage to gauge posts and or eye terminals. Sometimes all that is needed is a retorque of those two connections, or if gauge terminals are damaged, remove both red & black conductors, replace eye terminals if needed, connect red to black with small bolt and nut, and tape it up with good grade of electrical tape such as 3M's #33.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:01 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
valcuda wrote:
Many thanks, Greg. It's all sorted now. I checked the bulkhead connectors and the middle one (with the fusible link) was not quite pushed in. Car now goes beautifully!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Cheers

Enjoy the RHD CUDA!

Greg