Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Motor mount

Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
kielbasa
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: Motor mount (Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 pm) Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has tried replacing passenger side motor mount while motor is still in car of a 65 valiant. Mine I'd totally wasted after 15k miles, even before then too. Driver side is still bitchen.

I've watched my friends replace the driver side mount in the car, while engine running. Car in gear brakes on, motor moved enough to pop old one one and new one in. Scariest thing I ever seen haha.

I just curious if there's enough room to swap the mount from maybe under the car while maybe using cherry picker to lift it abit. I just don't have the time to totally pull a motor. Thanks [/i]

shadango
EFI Slant 6

Post subject: Re: Motor mount (Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:10 am) Reply with quote

kielbasa wrote:
Wondering if anyone has tried replacing passenger side motor mount while motor is still in car of a 65 valiant. Mine I'd totally wasted after 15k miles, even before then too. Driver side is still bitchen.

I've watched my friends replace the driver side mount in the car, while engine running. Car in gear brakes on, motor moved enough to pop old one one and new one in. Scariest thing I ever seen haha.

I just curious if there's enough room to swap the mount from maybe under the car while maybe using cherry picker to lift it abit. I just don't have the time to totally pull a motor. Thanks [/i]

Well, this probably wont help much ....but we did the same mount change on our 1980 Volare slant 6......and as expected it was a PITA.

Had to rock the engine by hand a bit to allow my son to get the mount in place.....and it only went in one way as far as getting it in past the frame etc........

But its doable. We did the oil pump the same way.....

A cherry picker pulling to the driver side might help....I dont think in our case just LIFTING a little would have helped at all....

SpaceFrank
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: (Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am) Reply with quote

I've done it in a '64 Dart. You'll have to take the engine-side bracket off with the mount, but aside from that it's pretty straightforward. Unbolt the rubber mount from the K-member first, then jack the engine up with a short piece of 2x4 on the oil pan if you don't have a hoist. I don't recall if I had to unbolt the driver's side mount.

Rick Covalt
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:25 pm) Reply with quote

Just did it on Monday night. Just jack up the engine and unbolt the metal bracket from the block and it will wiggle out. Not easy but it will come out.

kielbasa
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: (Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:57 pm) Reply with quote

Thanks. That's pretty much exactly I was thinking and looking for.

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Engine All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: