Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:03 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 68 dodge dart 270 2dr
Occasionally I get an over flow spot on my newly paved blacktop driveway-Hate That! So im looking for any suggestions on a simple fix for this issue-Possibly a kit i could purchase...or any other info appreciated. Sadly thers isnt alot of room under the hood for the install either.
Thank You
Slant 6 Forum Rocks!
HAPPY MOTORING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:31 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model: 64 Valiant
Something i've used before on a rear engine dragster in racing where you also have limited mounting and space. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a short piece of pvc pipe of 2" or desired OD to fit your space available. Get a cap for the top and bottom to glue on and you can drill and tap the needed inlets for fittings to run to the radiator. Drill and tap for a drain on the bottom cap, and it can mount vertically to the radiator support close to the radiator cap or overflow outlet. Krylon makes some good selection of colored spray paint to disguise it, and it looks good and is truly functional. If you wanted to get creative, run the inlet hose down into the reservoir to syphon back the overflow to recover it. Make sure to use the simple formula to calculate the volume of the cylinder (.7854 x Bore x Bore x Length), it will be in cubic inches, so you'll need to convert to gallons or quarts, etc.. to make sure it has adequate volume for the overflow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:59 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Two things:

1. You may be getting that spillover because the radiator is overfull. If you're filling it right up to the cap neck, yep, it's going to overflow. Let it seek its own level, which will be somewhere between 1/2" and 1" below the cap neck when cold, and it won't spit up.

2. If you do put in a coolant reservoir, you need an appropriate cap. See here. If you make your own reservoir, make sure to include an air vent near the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:59 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Advance Auto and places like that have an overflow tank kit that I have used on a couple of my cars. $10-15. Octagonal tank with a red cap and hose and bracket included. Let's not overthink this. I put mine on right or left of top radiator tank, mounted on the radiator support fairly high but without hitting the underside of the hood.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:11 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I used an empty radiator fluid jug with a hole drilled in the cap for the overflow hose. I put a hose clamp on the hose under the cap to keep it from blowing/pulling out and I zip tied the jug to my radiator core support. It was a roadside emergency "temporary fix" that has held up for over seven years now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Get one from a volare /diplomat /dodge truck /van at the junk yard.

Gatorade bottles work well also as in reeds description.

Greg