Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I discovered yesterday that my front left indicator (parking light) wasn't working and I eventually decided it was the casting at fault--I wasn't getting an earth point at either of the two mounting screws (studs). That is, there's no continuity between these screws and the casing that surrounds the bulb which its two side pins bear against. How do I solve the problem?

Removing the studs (I tried using two UNC nuts tightened against each other but had no success) probably wouldn't help because I guess the studs are pretty well connected to the housing. With a test meter I established that the problem is lack of continuity between the side of the socket holder and the casting itself.

I can't solder onto the casting alloy so my idea of soldering a small copper wire from the ring of the socket holder which could press against the side of the bulb won't work. Yes, I could solder a wire to the side of the bulb and drill a hole through the alloy housing at the back and then attach that to the chassis, but it seems a sledgehammer solution to crack a nut!!!!

My latest thought is, solder a wire to the side of the bulb and put a loop in the other end which will align with one of the screws that holds the lens on, then have a wire on the outside from the screw to the chassis. Again, a heavy-handed solution.

I'm sure many of you have had a similar problem in the past. How have any of you solved it?

Or is there somebody in the States who manufactures reproduction turn indicator castings?

(Yes, I've considered looking for second-hand parts but the three indicator housings that I've already got are just as old and just as bad!!!)

All helpful advice is gratefully received.