Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:18 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Hi, guys. I haven't been able to find any other UOA's of Slant 6's, so I wanted to post my first UOA on the D100 here, in case anyone is interested.

This was 2,800 miles (give or take) on Rotella T4. The universal averages at the far right on the chart show that these engines tend to shed a lot of iron and copper. Mine however, did not shed nearly as much. Have you guys done any UOA's on your Slant 6 cars? If so, what were your copper and iron PPM numbers? Thanks!

1985 D100 225 Slant 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:23 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I have never done the oil analysis other than when I was in the army and we had to send them in periodically. We never got the results back because they were sent to higher level maintenance. I've been using Rotella in my slant for years and wondered if it was helping or hurting. I hope someone more knowledgeable can jump in here and give their experiences. Those numbers look pretty good to me, but I'm no expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:00 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I hope someone who has done one will chime in. I'm curious to know what numbers theirs have produced. At the far right of the chart, you can see iron is typically at 45 ppm after 3,100 miles. At 2,800 miles, my iron was just 24. Also, copper shows to be typically 28, but mine was just 2. As far as Blackstone told me, they said the engine so far looks solid. Air filter is doing a nice job too, keeping the silicon at just 8 ppm.

1985 D100 225 Slant 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:22 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I bet if I did mine it would be the exact opposite of yours. Mine is about 200K miles away from yours, so I would expect a lot of copper. Yours looks like it will last a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:41 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Some people are obsessive; they run an oil analysis every X-thousand miles. That's excessive, but if more of us would buy a few $28 oil analysis tests like this, we'd learn a sensible, realistic oil change interval and waste a whole lot less money, time, and resources changing oil oftener than warranted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:22 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I agree! I'm hoping to stretch my intervals up to 5,000. The truck sees light duty use (just driving, no towing), so I don't think it should be a problem to get that out of each OCI.

I'll send in another sample at roughly 4,000 and see how wear trends and if everything looks good I'll start doing a 5k OCI. Judging by my iron wear rate, I'd have roughly 40 ppm iron at 5k which is not too bad. I've seen some people with the Magnum 360 V8 trucks with 50+ ppm iron at only 4,000 miles.

1985 D100 225 Slant 6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:52 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I've done this for my other cars, but never for a slant. We normally change the oil after every race for the LeMons Dart, so there's not much point.

Once I get my Valiant wagon up and running, I'll have to send one in. I've got Rotella T6 and a NAPA/Wix filter on it, so I'll probably run it for at least 5k to start.