Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:03 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Evening folks. I have an issue with my 79 lebaron with a slant 6. Car has been running great since I rebuilt carb and followed much advice from this forum. One day I just decided to start it up, after running it the day prior, and nothing. Wouldn't start. Carb was getting gas. Started checking everything, starting with the coil. New coil--no Change. Then bought a new ignition module--no change. Kept the new cool in and put original ignition module back in. Had my father in law come over to look at it a day later, and of course, it started up. Ran for the day. Next day, nothing again. Then decided to put New rotor, all new plugs, new dist. Cap, and new wires. General tune up anyway no harm done. Still nothing. Tested voltage at coil on both sides and it is good. Did all checks for wires to the ignition module. They seem to check properly. Any suggestions? Inline spark tool--nothing. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:31 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Welcome. Have not happened to me. Have you take one plug off and see if there is spark when not starting? I can think on other things to check if you see no spark: Key cylinder in the column (with time they can wear), distributor gear (they're plastic), check time chain stretching (how much the time chain slope is, how much you can turn the crankshaft before feeling the tightening when the camshaft starts to move).

I hope more people can provide their experience/insight. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Distributor pickup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:37 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Had an intermittant issue in my cuda (318) where it would just shut down while driving. Wouldnt restart. Then magically allow itself to be restarted after a little while. Completely random.

It was a bad solder joint in a brand new wire harness for the ignition wire harness, at the firewall.

So as has been suggested, check for spark first. But then maybe wiggle wires a little around the firewall.