Last month I'd just sold my 1960 Ford F100 (3 speed, 223 I6) and was on Craigslist looking for a replacement. I really wanted an early 90s F150 with a 5 speed and 300 engine.
But then I stumbled upon this 1974 Dodge D100 with a slant six and three speed manual transmission. Being a glutton for punishment and a slave to simplicity I went to go look at it. It had been horse traded to the previous owner 10 years ago as a parts truck. He was going to chop it up to restore a D200 4x4 with a V8 that he was working on. Thankfully he realized it was too nice to do that and must have just had it stored in a barn for the past decade. So I went there and he started it (running off of gasoline in a 2 liter soda bottle under the hood.) The engine ran quiet and smoothly. I didn't even drive it, and just naively agreed to buy it on the spot. I had money burning a hole in my pocket from the Ford.
This is what it looked like that day.
Since then, I had it hauled home and have gotten to work on anything that seems to need attention.
The first week I owned it the clutch completed falling apart. I found the springs from the disk sitting in the inspection cover and when I removed the transmission and bellhousing I found the pilot bushing had left the crankshaft. So it has a new clutch kit. Otherwise I've just cleaned and polished it a bit and have been learning how everything on it works. I've defeated the OSAC valve and have the EGR blocked off with a plate at the moment (doesn't make it run any better or worse.)
The truck is 100% original with all of the original emissions gear on there. There is no smog pump. The only real creature comfort is power steering. It has the A250 transmission which is a bit of a chore to drive in stop and go traffic. My plans are to just keep getting it back to original driving quality and just drive it.
Random photos from last month until now.
What was left of my fuel sender as it sat in 11 gallons of the worst smelling varnished fuel I've ever dealt with.
My clutch after I removed the transmission
And the Amazon Prime LUK kit that replaced it.
Old rear end oil was most likely original.
The engine bay after a new valvecover gasket, spark plug tube seals, and a bath.
A couple of interior shots:
Finally, this is what it looked like yesterday with my newly acquired, period correct license plates.