Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!
This is a "new" board. Click here for info.

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:22 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Maybe I'm all wrong about this, but I don't think it is so much about the money for the software, but the man hours required. Chuck does have to earn a living.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject: Yes, but...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:26 am 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe I'm all wrong about this, but I don't think it is so much about the money for the software, but the man hours required. Chuck does have to earn a living.

You are not wrong Charlie, you are very correct, but at the same time, if we can raise enough to also pay for Chuck's time then it could be worked in to the schedule as if we were one of his clients... (it's all about material, overhead, and labor... but labor is the larger chunk of that pie chart).

The flip of the coin would be to procure the software and see if we have a member that is IT savvy and has some extra time they could volunteer to help with the conversion.... (or maybe a not so mechanically experienced, but IT experienced member that could do the conversion in trade for one of us helping them with their slanted ride...or ???)

I'm a Project Manager, so I'm always looking for how to pull this off and still get a Win-Win out of the deal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I will definitely donate to the cause. Not the IT part of course! Just money to support those who know what IT stands for. :lol:

Drag Racing
Commentator/
Points Keeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:11 pm 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
if we can raise enough to also pay for Chuck's time then it could be worked in to the schedule as if we were one of his clients...

If we can find out for sure that Chuck can work us into his schedule, then I think we should get this moving forward. I certainly will donate and I think that we can raise the funds over a very short period of time to make this happen.

Just say the word!

And thanks Chuck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:00 pm 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

I'm in for some.
Maybe we should check with Chuck, and find out what the cost would be, time and materials, for an upgrade. Then put up a fund raiser thread, in the main forum.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject: Yes!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:38 pm 
Board Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe we should check with Chuck, and find out what the cost would be, time and materials, for an upgrade. Then put up a fund raiser thread, in the main forum.

I think that is the best concise plan of action!

Hopefully Chuck can let us know timeframe, his availability, cost of software and cost of his time if going that route... then we can work on the slanted 'telethon'.

Honestly, sooner the better, the board is like our cars... if something pops up and you put it off too long... then something major happens and puts it out for the count...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:42 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

I'm up for helping. Just coinage though, as IT to me means only Clara Bow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: '63 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
The software is free. The labor is the problem. I would love to have help, but I'm not sure what anyone else can do.

I made a lot of modifications to the existing board so that it didn't look like every other phpBB board out there. Most of that was in the color scheme, which took a lot more time than it would seem. If you look at other phpBB board, they all look alike, and I didn't want that.

The last time I tried an update, there were bugs in the software that I couldn't get around. That was many years ago, so I know that has changed.

First up would be to mock up another board with the desired visual appeal.

Second, shut down the current board, export the data, then re-start the old board.

Third, import the data to the new board and fix anything that goes wrong.

Fourth, repeat as necessary until it all works.

Fifth, shut down the current board one last time, transfer the latest data, then start up the new board.

There is no telling how many times the export/import process has to be done until it works right. There is always something.

If we have anyone who is familiar with phpBB software or CSS stylesheets, that would be a big help.