Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 814 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:22 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Thanks very much!

Lou

Post subject: Re: McLeod parts update
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:12 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
CruzinFNC wrote:
After finally topping off my build with Clifford headers and intake w/ Holley 390, the B&B 10" clutch came up as a weak point, plus I don't like the potential for explosion. So here I am embarking on this journey. As noted before, these parts are no longer produced by McLeod to my dismay. However, they can still provide solutions.

The big bite is the flywheel. While they don't stock it, they can retool and reproduce it to order. Same part number (464001 @ $600!!!) but they will produce it exactly to your specifications: large vs small hub register and pressure plate bolt patterns. I figured that since McLeod seems to be the best option and I'll likely daily drive a manually shifted slant powered car for the rest of my life, this flywheel would prob last that long and give me options down the road. So I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered one :shock: . I got one with the small register (I have a 64 motor/crank) and drilled for both the 10" long PP and the standard Borg & Beck.

The pressure plate they suggested as a substitute is a ford 10" diaphragm style w/ long bolt pattern (Part# 360030 @ $208), which looks exactly like the 360116 and appears to be for Mustangs. Hopefully I won't have to trim the tabs like Greg did but I'll have to determine when I get it.

They give you any combination of material (organic/ceramic, org/org, cer/cer) and construction (spring or solid) choices for the clutch disc. They said the organic/organic disc would be good for 200hp but would fade quicker. So I opted for a sprung ceramic/organic disc (Part# 27025 @ $250) which they say would hold up to 300hp. This is more than adequate for my motor and should provide decent driveability.

All said and done it was $1,058 and will take 4-6 weeks to manufacture and deliver. This should give me adequate time to install and be ready for the /6 races in Redding in May. I'll update this thread with solutions to any hitches I encounter beyond what Greg described.

I received my custom Alum McLeod FW recently, 10" Ford PP has been shipped, Your results with your chosen disk selection/ combination would be nice to hear before I pull the trigger on my solution, my application is nearly the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:41 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hey guys,
I'm sorry that I haven't kept up but I have some updates!
The pressure plate Billy sent me (that I previously referenced) was the wrong one for the flywheel. The flywheel they made for me was drilled with the standard B&B pattern and what I thought was the 10" Ford long pattern, which is what the pressure plate is. It didn't fit!! The 10" long pattern is supposed to be 3 1/8" apart on the closest two holes, but the holes on my flywheel were 3" apart. After talking to Billy, they gave me access to a prepaid shipping label to send the flywheel and pressure plate back.
A guy named Gary Seaward (w/ Australian accent) called me back and said my flywheel was drilled for a 9" Ford long pattern and that the flywheel is simply too small to be drilled for the 10" long pattern, which seemed obvious to me after trying to fit it. He scoured and rounded me up a diaphragm style 9" Ford pressure plate (part# 360072 I think?) which he said was THE LAST ONE THEY HAD!!
I got it back and sure enough it fit and it covered the outer diameter of the clutch disk, BUT it doesn't cover about the inner 1/4". Gary didn't think it would be a problem and I don't really think it will either. I finally got it all back together last weekend, and it has that characteristic stiffness at the dis-engagement point and relaxing relief after release that diaphragm clutches have, except the stiffness of this aftermarket pressure plate kicks it back at you pretty good when you're letting the clutch back out and it re-engages. It will take a little getting used to, but I like it and it feels solid and confident.
In order to do this job I had to remove my exhaust collector mid-pipe and only drove the car (open headers!!) to the exhaust shop to get it back together, so I've only had very limited seat time so far, but that's my initial impression. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and start breaking it in and putting it to the test. This is my daily driver and was down for nearly a month, which forced to me drive my 426 gen3 hemi 66 barracuda. It was miserable. :D
I could have planned this job and timing better but I hope I won't have to do it again for a long time. I'm worried about when that day comes and having finding another pressure plate. I'll need to figure out what makes/models had that plate (ford, mazda?) so I can cross reference it at a parts store or other manufacturer. If all else fails, I can still use my original 10" B&B and maybe get it rebuilt with stiffer springs in the meantime. Btw, Gary didn't think that 10" B&B plate would have any particular explosion risk at high rpm, but then again peoples's experiences can't be refuted. They saw what they saw, however rare it might be.

1966 Barracuda, GenIII Hemi
1969 Dart, slant six, 833OD
1974 B100 van, 318, 833OD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:16 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Trying to keep track of your progress. I've hit a few speed bumps myself. I believe the McCloed 10" PP is non existent, anywhere it seems as others have noted, but still , the ideal solution. I received my Alum 10" insert FW drilled for three? PP options, the paired holes for the 10" as you noted are on 3" centers, I have found a Mazda B4000 10" PP to fit, but the downside is the contact surface is only approx 1.5" on a 10" diameter, not the expected 2'? width. I haven't done the math yet to see how much, if any, I have an improvement over the OEM 9" or 9.5" disc. I was going to ask MCCloed what is the downside of say using a 2" face disc with a 1.5" wide faced PP, at least the FW side will be in full contact, but I bet they poo poo the idea. I'm also wondering if I should ask McCloed to add another (4th?) BC at the 3.125" spacing on my alum FW before install, but if the PP doesn't exist, why bother? I'm also thinking maybe I will need to go with McCloeds most robust disc material, to help overcome the maybe reduced surface area. Even though car is mainly a street cruiser, lighter MOI was the goal, and the Mazda assembly does achieve that, if it lives long enough. If you want any part numbers, I can forward. Wish i knew how to include pics on this forum like others, I hope I not adding any misinformation or muddying the waters here.

10" disc 2" Face 50.24 sq in
10" disc 1.5" face 40.03
9" disc 2" face 43.96

I'll check my math later, my thumbs have a tendency to drift

I'm wondering is the loss of 3.93" of area is offsetr by the larger grip radius?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:54 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
That's very good info JCC!
I think I have McLoeds high performance version of the 9" Mazda PP (their last one: part# 360072) you mentioned (or do you have the 10"?). Either way, I would much appreciate the part# for that PP you found. You're right, the flywheel side makes full contact with the clutch disk but the PP side does not; about a 1/4" or so of the inner circle is not covered. I should mention again that I got McLeod's clutch disk (9 11/16") that has ceramic material on the flywheel side and organic on the PP side.

With this disk and PP setup, I can verify that the smaller surface area of the 9" (9.25" to be exact) PP does not seem to be a concern as Gary said it wouldn't be. It grabs hard. So hard, that it's been a bit tricky learning how to drive it smoothly. The stiff poppiness of the clutch pedal upon release makes it a bit challenging to moderate for smoothing driving in traffic, but I'll get it.

I haven't done a very high rpm clutch dump but burnouts are not a problem and I don't feel the slightest amount of slip. Also it holds all the way up through my power band now. In fact, it's so nice to finally be able to feel the full effect of what the Clifford intake (w/ Holley 390) and headers did to wake up my engine combo. I'll bet I gain at least a hole second in the 1/4 mile. I have to say I couldn't be happier and glad I got this performance clutch to work. Sure, it would help my piece of mind knowing I have full contact of the clutch disk on the PP side, but I can't tell for now.

This is my daily driver street cruiser with occasional drag strip visits to accompany my slant six races buddies and keep the class alive (we need more participants!!), so I don't (or won't) pound on it a whole lot. I hope you're able to find a PP option that works. Please keep us posted!
D~

1966 Barracuda, GenIII Hemi
1969 Dart, slant six, 833OD
1974 B100 van, 318, 833OD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:34 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1963 Plymouth Valiant
I finally got my clutch set up from McLeod. I initially received it a little over a month ago, and the parts didn't line up. After an RMA, I got what looks like a better than expected arrangement!

It's the dual pattern /6 flywheel, clutch plate, pressure plate and all the hardware required plus shims! Can't wait to get this installed... I have a T5z transmission it will go with, just waiting on the engine from the machine shop.

My only complaint is that they didn't give me a parts list that says what the part numbers on the clutch disc and pp are. I'll probably call them to see if they'll provide it, especially if there is interest here.

It looks like the PP uses the B&B pattern instead of the 9" long pattern, despite being a diaphragm design?

And now, pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:40 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Looks very nice. I would love to know what the PN's and applications are for those parts, and maybe order a set as a spare. My McLeod parts have been bulletproof, but they can't last forever.

Best and thanks,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Ok, I got off the phone with McLeod and the part numbers are:

360131M for the pressure plate
260178 for the clutch disc

Apparently the disc is one disc from a 2 pack disc out of their RST/RXT line of clutches. The pressure plate is used in the RST/RXT clutch line, as well. Should be some solid parts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:19 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Is that a sprung or solid dics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:08 pm 
TBI Slant 6

It's a sprung disc

Post subject: 260178 clutch disc specs
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:06 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 65 Dart, 225, 4 spd od, hyd clutch, BBD, 2 1/4 exh
One site listed the 260178 clutch disc as 9 1/8 dia with 1 1/8 x 26 spline. This doesn't sound like the 1 x 23 spline application that my 833 od would demand?

1965 Dart 110k, 225, Carter BBD Super Six, 2 1/4 single exh., sbp manual scarebird front disc, 7 1/4 rear 2.94 sure grip, 14 x 4.5 OEM wheels, 833 OD with hyd. throwout bearing, HEI, electric fan, ram air/heated air, Accusump. http://plymouthcarclub.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:02 pm 
TBI Slant 6

You're correct - I ordered mine for a T5. It should be a 9 11/16" diameter disc with 10 splines

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:32 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
72 Polara:

thanks for providing the link to the part #'s Here.

I never thought to look at my old post.

I am probably going to get these parts etc..as I have a t-5 for Putting in my 64 dart road race project.

For now I have a question on the flywheel:

is it just Part # 464001 with 6 Posts/ Shims attached for this pressure plate?
I am assuming that you have to call that order in etc.?

The Disc and PP are available easily as I can get them from summit Racing.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:18 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Greg,

Mcleod was a little elusive on the exact details, but yes, I ordered 464001 and a PP, and they shipped parts that didn't fit.

After I got an RMA# and sent it back, I got the setup pictured. Definitely a call and order item; the friction disc is half of one of their multi-plate kits iirc.

If you're looking for the same setup, I'm happy to call/work with you and make sure you get the right stuff first time around.

It works great!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:18 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
72polara wrote:
Greg,

Mcleod was a little elusive on the exact details, but yes, I ordered 464001 and a PP, and they shipped parts that didn't fit.

After I got an RMA# and sent it back, I got the setup pictured. Definitely a call and order item; the friction disc is half of one of their multi-plate kits iirc.

If you're looking for the same setup, I'm happy to call/work with you and make sure you get the right stuff first time around.

It works great!

It will be a while before I get to that stage with my build, but thank you for the help.

If you have any invoice with #'s etc that will also be helpful.

Greg

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 814 Next