Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

1979 LeBaron Super Six, Portland Craigslist $500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Vehicle Buy / Sell
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshie225
Supercharged

Post subject: 1979 LeBaron Super Six, Portland Craigslist $500 (Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:24 pm) Reply with quote

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6180914369.html

I went and checked this out. The tags expired in 2011, but it fired up and ran reasonably well. No wiring hacks, all the emissions equipment is there. Trans goes into drive and reverse with no delay. I didn't drive it, but the owner said he drove it and I believe him. Interior is in good shape, but the color. Yuck. I was considering buying it just so I could come play at Samoa this next weekend, but my heart isn't in it. Could be a good donor for an early A body as the drivetrain and many brake pieces could be used.

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:53 pm) Reply with quote

POOF! It's gone. Someone must have bought it.

Joshie225
Supercharged

Post subject: (Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:50 pm) Reply with quote

I contacted him and told him that I was trying to help find him a buyer and that he should put the ad back up, but he hasn't.

Joshie225
Supercharged

Post subject: (Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:16 am) Reply with quote

I saw the car Wednesday when I was in the neighborhood and the ad is back.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6199704382.html

Louise76
EFI Slant 6

Post subject: (Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 pm) Reply with quote

1979- would that have a lock-up torque converter??

DusterIdiot
Board Sponsor

Post subject: Maybe... (Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:43 pm) Reply with quote

Quote:
1979- would that have a lock-up torque converter??

It could, you'd have a fair chance either way... if someone could get a look at the fender tag and if the trans is original to the car...

D31=Non-Lockup 904
D32=A998
D33=A999
D34= Listed as "Standard Automatic"... but conforms to 1978-1979 Lockup 904 (this what my LU904 Aspen has OEM and matching)
D36=HD904

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 pm) Reply with quote

Lockup transmissions don't scare me. The lockup feature can be disabled very simply in an afternoon's work if you think it is a problem.

DusterIdiot
Board Sponsor

Post subject: Lol... (Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:43 pm) Reply with quote

Quote:
Lockup transmissions don't scare me. The lockup feature can be disabled very simply in an afternoon's work if you think it is a problem.

We could turn this into one of those old radio serials:

...as our Hero, the intrepid Reed, one afternoon wedges himself under a Mopar armed only with a ratchet, a 1/2" socket, a 7/16" socket, a straight blade screw driver, an oil pan and a new red shop rag... wipes the sweat from his brow and stares with malicious intent and pulls all but two pan bolts and lets the evil doomsday machine torqueflite bleed heavily into the oil pan... after he removes the last two bolts the last drops of it's life blood drip slowly off the underside of it's valve body....hands drenched in the red oily residue he pulls 3 long screws and lets the filter plunge into the pan drowning in the pool of red....then pulls out the screwdriver and pulls a bunch of screws out of the bottom of the valve body... then lets the 7/16" socket go to work... with wild abandon he gets the valve body free....

What's this!??! Our hero spots the parking pawl is caught and needs to be disengaged... but much worse... he spies the top of the valve body has that extra hump and a sinister S shaped tube... only designed by some engineer that had a personal vendetta with transmission technicians everywhere...

Will he get the valve body out??? Will he get the lock up valve shimmed or replace the spring....

Tune in 2-3 hours later when our hero, sitting on the porch swigging a local microbrew says....

"Yeah, they don't scare me... I can get it done in an afternoon... what really scares me is the look on my mom's face when she sees the splashes of red ATF on the driveway, the 5 pounds of kitty litter under the car, and my smartassed sister stopped by and drew a chalk outline of my body when I couldn't shimmy out from under the vehicle fast enough....!!!!"

Rolling Eyes

halfafish
3 Deuce Webber

Post subject: (Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:23 am) Reply with quote

Y'all are killing me. I read this originally and purposely ignored it, as I need another project like a hole in the head. And yet, I've been to the current CL ad several times now scratching my head and trying to figure out what I could make out of this setup. It's only 30 minutes away, after all, and I have a big truck and car-hauler trailer.

I do believe this is how you get started on your own personal junkyard...

Louise76
EFI Slant 6

Post subject: (Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:04 am) Reply with quote

" evil doomsday machine torqueflite bleed heavily into the oil pan"
My fore arms could feel the warm slimy stuff running down toward my elbows! Such eloquent prose! Very Happy Very Happy

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 am) Reply with quote

Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Vehicle Buy / Sell All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: