Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:56 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Hi Everyone, I'm having a hard time figuring out why my gas gauge on
my 1964 Dart Convertible/slant 6, won't work. I installed a new gas tank, and sending unit. Cleaned the electrical lead that goes onto the sending
unit, and it seems to snap on tight. I'm very new at this, so can anyone
recommend a series of steps for me to follow now, to try to fix this! I keep
putting $5 to $10 in gas in the tank every trip out, just to make sure I
have plenty of gas. I just drive this car locally here in New Hampshire, usually
no more than a 50 miles radius, but would still love to have a functioning gauge. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks! Mike[/img]

Post subject: You forgot something....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:11 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
There is supposed to be a metal strip with 2 clips on the end that is the grounding strap... one end clips on the nipple on the sending unit, and the other connects to the metal fuel line at the body and reaches just past your fuel hose connection on each end... if this isn't present the sending unit gets no ground and the gauge will not read...

If you don't have one, you can in a pinch 'jury rig' one with a length of good gauge wire and two hose clamps... strip the end of the wire on both ends and clamp to the metal tubes on each side... some people will clamp it at the sending unit and screw the other end into the body....

Hope that solves the issue... if not, you may have to trace the sending unit wire from the trunk past the drivers side wheelwell, under the driver side carpet at the sill plate and up under the kickpanel to the dash....hopefully there isn't a break in the circuit there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Thanks for the advice, and Ooops on the 1864/1964 thing! LOL!!! I'll post what my results are. Appreciated! Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:45 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Pull wire from gas gauge at sending unit then check voltage delivered by that wire. Should be 5 volts, but digital meter will probably run up and down 4 to 13 volts. This is due to the way old technology reduce 12v to 5v using contact points that heat up open then close to produce an average of 5 volts.

Another test easier to perform is to disconnect at tank gauge wire, ground it and have a helper observe fuel gauge; it should swing from empty to full. Conduct this test just long enough to see gauge movement then disconnect ground jumper so as not to damage gauge.

If you have voltage and grounding moves gauge all you need to do is ground the sending unit as described in other posts. Ground strap MF290 HERE, and two others available MF289 (ss) and MF710 an 8" steel strap. These are available from other vendors.