Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

Interesting solution for high pressure fuel supply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Fuel Injection
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: Interesting solution for high pressure fuel supply (Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:21 pm) Reply with quote

I found this today browsing around:

http://www.lmctruck.com/product-pages/fitech-electronic-fuel-injection-conversion-kit/

Check out the "fuel command center" on the bottom of the page. A nice self-contained fuel sump supplied by the stock low pressure fuel pump but with a high pressure pump submerged in the sump that provides 58 PSI of fuel pressure when the engine is running.

Killer6
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:22 pm) Reply with quote

There are a number of members on FABO running those systems, I think
there are a few threads on some installs/projects.

Valleyant
Turbo Slant 6

Post subject: (Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:16 pm) Reply with quote

power nations Detroit muscle used this on a nova that was converted to FI....in case anyone wants to check it out.

Doctor Injector
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: FI Tech (Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:30 pm) Reply with quote

Friend of mine just installed one of these systems on his 340 Dart. It runs great. Another budy putting one on a 68 bronco.

Pierre
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:58 pm) Reply with quote

Reed - I think that's the first commercially available application but it's not a new idea. I've seen someone make one out of those under-sink water filter units. Has input and output threaded fittings and tossed the pump into the canister without the filter in it. To do it right you still need to run a return back to the main tank. The megamanual illustrates a similar diagram except the high pressure pump is external to the surge tank... in this system the pump is in the surge tank.

Reed
Supercharged

Post subject: (Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:30 pm) Reply with quote

Interesting. I guess I just am not up on all the latest options out there. I have been planning on running an external Ford high pressure fuel pump and running a return line to the gas tank. This looked like a nice self contained unit, but a little pricey.

Pierre
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:59 pm) Reply with quote

Well, considering what it is, it's not that bad. Tank, pump, gauges, regulator, fittings, line, brackets, etc.

Instructions here.

Ok, so this isn't a universal unit, this is custom to their system. There's a float that shuts down low pressure flow once the surge fills up (low pressure pump will dead head, like it would against your carb when float closes needle). The high pressure port goes to their self contained throttle body & injector unit. The third port is a vent, not a return line.

A typical mpfi injector is 43 psi too. You may be able to get away with running at 58psi for more flow but yeah if your going to diy a system and want to use this idea you may as well diy it too.

jcc
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:37 am) Reply with quote

I have seen this solution in different forms for the past several years. Its a nice work around IMO, for DIY EFI installs. But it to me has one significant downside, and I have voiced this elsewhere and it gets little traction, but still again, IMO has some merit.

The problem is, in our old pre crash tested cars, you are effectively mounting a single metal wall, energized, pressurized, mini fuel cell, in the very front of your car, next to a hot running engine. It will not take much of a fender bender to jeopardize the fuel containment and its external plumbing, all under pressure. The resultant outcome, with more then a minimum of a quart of fuel, would quickly go south. I know many hate small plastic fuel filters, this maybe metal in some cases, but could have a much worse outcome.
I would at least be very cautious where I mounted it, and the choices are limited, and normally not ideal. Other then that, I like it. Very Happy

Matt Cramer
Board Sponsor

Post subject: (Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 am) Reply with quote

I'm currently working on the sumped tank option - using a Wal-Mart bread pan for a weld on sump. Just about got it finished.

pishta
EFI Slant 6

Post subject: (Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:26 pm) Reply with quote

simple surge tank. Supply low pressure fuel into tank from existing pump, mount HP pump into tank and port high pressure to fuel rail and run return from top inch back into tank. your return line is more of an overflow back to the tank. It could be the size of a King can of beer, depending on your pump size. This way you only need about 2 feet of high pressure hose, the rest is stock stuff. Also your 4-40 micron EFI fuel filter can be accessible under the hood as well as your 100 micron prefilter. Nice thing about a surge/swirl tank is that its instant start even if the car has been sitting as the surge tank is a mini fuel cell with no bottom taps.

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Fuel Injection All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: