Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: broken ear on TOB
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:49 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
out doing errands today in the 83 D150, last stop was at a grocer, about a mile from home, get in the truck, depress the clutch pedal,, rather loud POP from under the floorboard.
And now the clutch pedal is hanging basically limp,, feels like there is maybe 20% clutch release with the clutch pedal all the way in...

with the motor off, put the a833 in 1st gear, clutch pedal all the way in, hit the starter, the truck lurches forward and starts,, had to repeat that process twice clearing traffic in the parking lot, then drove home in 1st,,

Removed the lower inspection cover,, and there it is,, the lower throw out bearing ear is still attached to the clutch arm by the spring clip, but the ear is no longer attached to the throw out bearing housing.

I'll get some photos when I get it apart,,,

In the mean time I have a message out to my buddy WV,, he is great shop help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:35 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model: 68 Valiant
Youse guys should be able to knock that out in no time. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:57 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model: 65 Valiant 2Dr Post
Quote:
the ear is no longer attached to the throw out bearing housing.

Plastic or Metal? Last couple clutch kits I got had plastic bodied throw out bearings. I refuse to use them.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:46 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
plastic bodied throw out bearings

looks to be plastic and has basically de-laminated from the TOB body,
I'll get pictures when I get it out,,

where are you finding the metal body TOB,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:24 pm 
Board Sponsor & SL6 Racer

Car Model:
I want to meet the marroon who OKed plastic TOBs,,,,,,what did that save $.046?

Post subject: x2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:25 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
I refuse to use them.

Yep, I would not touch one with a 10' pole...

I still have a stash of metal TOB's and I know they used to have replacement bearings for some... I used to get the metal ones in Zoom clutch kits when I ran a stock clutch...I got one when I bought a Ram Clutch for a 1983 Dodge Truck 11" clutch...

Some one still has to have these... although my worry now would be the pot metal body would be cast in China....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:07 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I got a metal one form Rock Auto some years ago and put it in last year. It makes a grinding noise whenever engaged. I saw my first plastic one over 30 years ago and noted it as a possible weight saving idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
contacted McLeod, Centerforce, they did not have anything off the shelf for a slant six / a833 application.

went back and looked at RockAuto, where I had purchased the clutch kit that is currently in the 83 D150,, the part photo in the RA online catalog clearly shows a TOB with a metal housing. From the installation instructions from back in 2012, I determined that the clutch kit was produced by Brute Force/Precision Clutch.
Contacted the Precision Clutch tech line,, the tech was very helpful, he even arranged for their warehouse to open stock in inventory and confirmed that regardless of the photo, what is in inventory has the composite plastic TOB.

went looking at NAPA,, there the tech conformed that the TOB in the kit for the 83 D150 is a one piece metal housing. The NAPA clutch kit is supplied by LUK,, LUK is a major OEM supplier. I have one of the NAPA NCF1105004 clutch kits on order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:33 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
photos of the laminate throw out bearing that failed as well is the one piece housing NAPA TOB are below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13718356@ ... 168403345/

looking at the TOB that failed, I see two spot welds that are intended to attach the L bracket in the ear to the cylindrical center section.

I do not profess to be a weld failure analysis expert, but it looks to me that the spot weld on the left side, as shown in the photo, does not have the heat affected zone and the same penetration as the twin weld on the right side.

It did last the cycles of 23K miles but a TOB should never fail catastrophically. I'll re contact Brute Force/Precision Clutch and see if they want it back.

The NAPA clutch kit did have a metal housing TOB and also included two bronze pilot bushings (checked them with a magnet, they are non magnetic) Don't know why there is two, one is maybe 5/8 of an inch in length the other about 3/4 of an inch.

as of today, the new clutch disk - PP - TOB are installed, the bell housing is re mounted, WV is to stop by tomorrow to assist with re-docking the tranny,, then its putting the cross member back up, re installing the shifter and starter and exhaust..and back on the road :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:39 pm 
Poser

Car Model:
Easy peasy...nice and greasy! Back in without too much fuss. Thanks for lunch again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:36 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
back on the road :D

Monday: set the truck up on jack stands, removed exhaust system from the dual dutras back, put a wrench on every tranny, bell housing, starter and cross member bolt
Tuesday: picked up a floor tranny jack, removed: shift linkage, cross member, starter,drive shaft, dropped tranny and bell housing, removed clutch pack and replaced with new components, reinstalled bell housing
Wednesday, reinstalled tranny and cross member, returned tranny jack, thanks WV!
Thursday, reinstalled tranny linkage, starter, drive shaft, exhaust system, set the truck back on the ground and drove it around the block,

just fired up the grill, going to cook a steak and celebrate