Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:53 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
I am working on a 64 dart with manual steering. I rebuilt the coupler several years ago but the top clamp and seal have come loose several times. I am finding conflicting information on replacement and retrofit options.

When I called steer and gear they said that the pots get scored on the sides and usually have to be replaced. They only sell the 66 and up longer style pot and kit. They were not sure whether the later style will work in place of the 64 clamp type pot. The numbers are different and they are not listed as superseding the earlier type.Does anyone know if the later style pot will swap onto the earlier style box and shaft.

In a post in 2008 or 09 Charlie S noted all the exact numbers for both types. There were different numbers for a couple of pieces. On another posts i found pictures showing that one of the shoes was slightly different and that the clip was slightly different. The top clamp and seal is different between the two styles but the number on the replacement top clamp and seal is shown as superseding the earlier clamp.

Steer and gear makes a retrofit boot which I think replaces the top clamp and rubber seal. They were not sure whether it would fit on the earlier style pot. Has anyone used that boot on a 63-65

If the pot does need replacing and the rebuild kits are not exact replacements the complete replacement of the original set up would be at least $150, maybe quite a bit more if you have to find an NOS OEM pot or a good used replacement. At that point it makes sense to consider the retrofit solid u joint type replacements offered by borgeson and flaming river. However, Borgeson said their universal coupler where you cut off the shaft splines and pin the sleeve to the shaft will not match the splines on the early manual box. Flaming river has not responded but the sizes and spline count shown on their site is not the same as I have found else where. What is the shaft size and spline count on the steering box and the the steering column shaft on my 64 manual setup?

Has anyone used either one of the these retrofits or some other?

When I repack the pot with grease the steering tightens up quite a bit. I think I will spend the $25 on the Steer and Gear rubber seal and see how that helps. Any other advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:15 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
If the pot is not too worn and the shoes are still snug enough I have had good luck with making a new system to hold the top clamp in place by cutting two aluminum plates with holes in the middle for the shaft and bolting them together with two machine screws about 3" long and then double nutting to keep them tight. If you can keep the lubricant in, those joints will last a long time. This is also somewhat of a safety feature as that flimsy top clamp is the only thing holding the shaft in the joint if your steering column loosened up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I don't suppose Chrysler ever made a heavy wire clamp like the one linked below, but for the shorter pre-66 couplers? It wouldn't be too hard to fabricate something like this if not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mopar-2996 ... 1416193929

Somewhat off topic, but is there a reason the box coupler couldn't be replaced with a U-joint? The manual steering box is 3/4"-36 spline, and if I recall correctly the column shaft itself is 3/4" round with a ~1/4" hole for the pin. Why not use something like this U-joint, drill a hole through the smooth end to match the hole in the shaft, and then lock it in with a Grade 8 bolt? It might change the overall length a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
The coupler does give you some in-out play along the shaft axis to compensate for body flexing, and a U-joint would not. Otherwise, go for it.

I have used 2 or 4 criss-crossed heavy zip ties to hold the pot cover on. Someday I need to go to the "zip tie drags". About a year ago at the Hagerstown race, a kid and his Dad were looking under the hood of my turbo car and the kid was amazed at how many zip ties he could see. I think he counted 50 or more in a couple of minutes... One of the best inventions of the 20th century. I mounted the 64 Dart radiator (lightwt Afco racing unit) entirely with zip ties and have never looked back.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:37 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Quote:
I have used 2 or 4 criss-crossed heavy zip ties to hold the pot cover on. Someday I need to go to the "zip tie drags". About a year ago at the Hagerstown race, a kid and his Dad were looking under the hood of my turbo car and the kid was amazed at how many zip ties he could see. I think he counted 50 or more in a couple of minutes... One of the best inventions of the 20th century.

Yup, ranks right up there with duct tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:37 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
There is also a shorter wire clamp for a later model short coupler but will not work with the early A couplers.

Here's a little history on those clamp: A friend of mine in MI found one of those TSB's that told the service techs to install the clamp after taking the coupler apart for maintenance. The TSB posted part numbers for both clamps. So he did a search and found one clamp somewhere in the US and the other one on a dealer's shelf in Hawaii! He said neither dealer's parts people had any idea of that they were or used for since the clamps were just sitting there with no instructions. Anyway, he bought both, had them made (minimum quantity was 500 each size) and started going to Mopar shows selling them. Eventually he ran low and found no one wanted to do such a small run of them. He then sold his remaining stock to someone, who I guess, was able to have more made. And I see that more than one dealer is selling them (like DMT)

Retired USAF 1966-1986
Retired US Postal Service 2004-2014

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:01 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Duct tape is pure evil. I do not allow it anywhere near my cars...

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:36 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Who said anything about cars? LOL

82' LeBaron Convertible; the new Chrysler Corp

07' 300 C AWD; Now by Fiat, the old new Chrysler LLC