Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Holley projection 2D
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:31 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I just bought this item on e-bay. It looks complete and has never been installed. It comes with the closed loop kit and an extra O2 sensor. Good deal or not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holley-Pro-Ject ... zv&vxp=mtr

1985 D250 360 46RH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:51 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
My vote: "Not really". Holley's Pro-Jection was about as halfassed as the similarly cruddy TBI (throttle body injection) setups they built as OE for Chrysler on '87-'95 2.2/2.5-litre 4-cylinder engines and '88-'91 3.9 V6 and 5.2/5.9 V8 engines (in fact, this what you bought is very similar in key ways to the '88-'91 3.9/5.2/5.9 Dodge truck/van system. With patience and a fairly large amount of effort you should be able to make it work OK, but if I were interested in putting TBI on a Slant-6 I'd probably use GM hardware and a custom-burned chip for it, as Sandy has described on here many times.

Post subject: Yeah...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:01 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
There's a used 2D and 4D on my local craigslist for less money...

I seem to remember Lou ran one for a bit and said he had to tweak the knobs to keep it running right...

About the only good thing is that the sensors and TB are forward compatible with the later Commander PROM and Software so you can actually use a laptop to program it now...

You also may need to swap out the injectors depending on what kind of slant build you have in mind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:32 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Dan,I had one of these units on my 'Cuda in the early 90's. The controller was the early analog version made by MSD. I agree that it was not that good but I was able to get it to run pretty good. Today I understand why it didn't work to it's full potential.

It was easy to tune but when I tuned it to idle well and run well at low rpm's, it would not have any high rpm power. If I tuned it to run well at high rpm's, it would load up and run to rich at idle and low rpm's. I could tune it to run very well at idle, low end and cruise but it just had no top end so that's where I left it.

I didn't know much about EFI then and never figured it out. When I asked other's (No internet then) they just shook their head and called it junk. About a year ago I read an article that a guy wrote about them. It turns out the problem was that the return line outlet nipple that Holley supplied was 1/4" and would create pressure in the return circuit at idle and low rpm's. The simplistic analog controller didn't vary the voltage to the fuel pump to vary the fuel flow and it would cause the injectors to dribble out to much fuel. Changing the nipple and return line to 5/16" would have made a huge improvement.

This one is a newer version that has a digital controller and it runs in closed loop. I'm optimistic that it is better but I realize that it is still old tech and not MPFI. If it is too much for a slant six, I have a V8 truck that will like it.

1985 D250 360 46RH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 am 
SL6 Racer & Moderator

Car Model:
Think that is old? I installed a Holley Projection on a 1979 360 little red express truck, about 1988. Now that was a dinosaur.

64 Valiant Signet
64 Valiant 4dr 170

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:45 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
I had a commercial International 345 26KGVW truck in 1989 with a Holley 4bbl. Decided I wanted EFI. So I got the 4bbl holley EFI set up. Started great. crisp response, mileage increased 20%?, I was impressed. A month later, it quit. Being a work truck, didn't have a lot of time to sort out, and it was all new to me anyway. After a year of regretting all the Positives of the last EFI, I bought another slightly newer version of the same Projection system,. It again ran great, but this time, I stored the old 4bbl Holley under the seat. Good thing, because I found myself at 2:00am one morning on the side of I-75 installing it to get to a gig. Never again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:48 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
jcc wrote:
I had a commercial International 345 26KGVW truck in 1989 with a Holley 4bbl. Decided I wanted EFI. So I got the 4bbl holley EFI set up. Started great. crisp response, mileage increased 20%?, I was impressed. A month later, it quit. Being a work truck, didn't have a lot of time to sort out, and it was all new to me anyway. After a year of regretting all the Positives of the last EFI, I bought another slightly newer version of the same Projection system,. It again ran great, but this time, I stored the old 4bbl Holley under the seat. Good thing, because I found myself at 2:00am one morning on the side of I-75 installing it to get to a gig. Never again.

The one I had on my 'Cuda ran great at times but I always seemed to be chasing the tune. When it was right it was great. That's what drew me to this kit. After doing some research, I found all the common problems (mostly user errors/misunderstandings) and the solutions. Still the controller seems to be the weak point. If I can't get it to work, I will replace the controller with a megasquirt unit so I can control the spark as well.

I received the unit and it is brand new, unused complete with all hardware and everything. It had been opened but never installed complete with the closed loop kit that costs $180 extra.

1985 D250 360 46RH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 am 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
I once opened up one of the older Pro-Jection systems out of curiosity to see what sort of processor it was using. There was a single large chip in the middle that was the only device that looked like it might have any processing power. Nope, it wasn't a processor - it was a phase locked loop, and there wasn't any sort of processor in the whole box. Kind of like a 1970s era Bosch D-Jetronic controller.