Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index
Home Slant Six Forum,  Forum Index Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Click here to make a donation to the Slant Six Forum!

1973 Dodge Dart 4-Door Custom Sedan Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Slixer's Gallery
Select message display options:             View previous topic :: View next topic  
DusterIdiot
Board Sponsor

Post subject: Mixed mpg (Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:52 pm) Reply with quote

Mixed driving mpg highway and in town will be about where you are at now, which isn't bad for these cars. If you have 10% ethanol gas where you are at you will also loose a little from that too... also checking to see if you have the correct tire size to speedo gear will help weed out any mileage errors if using the odo to compare to your fill up...

Later on, trading out the 1973-1974 distributor for a 1976 unit or 1977-1980 super six unit will also help performance and get back some of the mileage... also upgrading to the "feather duster" or Dan's upsized exhaust pipe and muffler will be an 'adder' to the better distributor curve...

But it looks good and you are off to a good start!

Smile

GreybeardGunner
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 pm) Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will try a few things, but I have to tell you...I am having a blast driving this around. It's fun to drive and I must admit that I love the comments I am getting from people. Everyone has a Slant Six story!! I'm hearing them all, lol.

I guess there's a certain amount of 'suck it up' with these cars...I am learning this.

Cheers
Shawn

GreybeardGunner
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:06 pm) Reply with quote

We're really enjoying driving the car. Anyone my age who sits in it, gets an instant time-warp back to the 70's.

Shawn

GreybeardGunner
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:34 pm) Reply with quote

19 July, 2017: I took the car to the local truck spring and suspension shop today. They removed and cleaned up the existing leaf assemblies, plus added one to each side. The also reattached the separation clips which were completely missing on each side. New U-bolts, spacers, deep bolts, etc. I am amazed a less than $400 worth of work has completely changed both the 'attitude' of the car, and the way in which it handles. Much better. I mean, MUCH better. I'm really starting to both understand and appreciate the fact that I took the advice of those people who suggested I not skimp on repair work/parts in favour of those who advocated a quick fix. It's taken a few shekels to get here, but today I can honestly say that driving down the road, with new suspension parts, knowing that all the mechanicals were done with the best parts, by someone who knows what they are doing...well, I can say that I FINALLY can see what I had hoped to see in the car. It is starting to 'feel' right... I don't know how else to explain it. I like the way it looks, the way it handles and I especially like the feeling that I'm bringing her back to a place she deserves to be. I'm having fun.

GreybeardGunner
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:37 pm) Reply with quote

19 July, 2017: My phone has died. It had a good life, but now it's gone. Resultingly, I don't have any pics of the car today, however... I will be plugging back in to the matrix soon and will post new pictures as soon as possible. Thanks to all for the continued interest.

Cheers,
Shawn

GreybeardGunner
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:14 am) Reply with quote

08 August, 2017: Sorry for the long delay in getting more pics up. Summertime = total chaos around here (as is the case with most people, I'm sure). However, that being said, here are some pics of the Dodge as of yesterday. I have a wobble at 55 mph that I suspected may be the result of a bent rim. So I was experimenting with front-to-rear placement swapouts. It seems to have alleviated some of the issue, but there is still a shaky spot around 62 mph. Also, I'm still chasing down a cabin leak at the front/driver's side firewall area. I've cleaned the cowl plugs, checked the windshield seal and checked the wiper pivots...none of which seems to be the problem. I suspect there may be a weld-to-firewall leak in the cowl itself. Looking in to it further. I have to get this sorted out before I order my new carpet kit. Overall, it's working pretty well and my wife and I are having a lot of fun.

GreybeardGunner
TBI Slant 6

Post subject: (Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 am) Reply with quote

21 August, 2017: New tire day! In celebration of the solar eclipse, I've pulled the trigger on new rubber. After consulting with the gurus on this site, I decided to go with a set of 205/70R 14's all 'round. Loaded them on the stock steelies with the factory wheel covers. I think it looks pretty good. It certainly handles better. Next job...electrical issues.

Shawn

Select message display options:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Slant Six Forum, Forum Index -> Slixer's Gallery All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: